Alclad and microset / sol

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 37277

This is going to be the subject for my latest experiment. I like Academy kits, generally a good level of detail for the price. This one cost £5.99 and looks very nice. The reason I call it my experiment is that I'm going to use, for the first time, Alclad polished aluminium. I read a bit about applying the stuff, and it seems all ok. But, I believe you can't use microset / sol on top of Alclad ? If this is the case, what do you Alclad users do about applying decals. As I'm going for the polished aluminium finish, I don't want to use Klear, or is that wrong, can I still use clear without loosing the effect of the Alclad ?

Colin M.........

View attachment 41470

Academy P51D.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have used Alclad with Micro sol/set on top with out problems. If you want to be 100% on the safe side Alclad also do a clear coat that is very good and does not affect the finish at all.

As for all things new to you, try it on a bit of plastic card with some spare decals. After all; Better safe than sorry.

My latest paint job is living proof that things can even go horribly wrong with things you are used to using.!

The one thing you will have to be very careful of if going for the real shiny finish is the prep work. Every thing needs to be glass smooth or it will show.

I must ask: Are you going for the tiger striped one? It looks rather nice.

As I mentioned in an other thread one thing you should keep well away from Alclad is hair spray!!!! (and cats)

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Cheers Ian, I was ready to have a practice, but in a lazy way, sort of hoped someone had been there before me ! No tiger stripes for this one, I'll be doing the one in the picture. If you look carefully at the wing root, you can see the squadron code reflecting in the wing, now that's a nice shiny finish, just what I want to replicate.

Colin M..

B

beav1013

i'm going to be using the polished aluminum with my current build. I did a little testing with alumning and airframe aluminum on some scrap wings and didn't really tell a difference between the sections that were bare and those i put some future on top of.

i plan on doing the same with the polished aluminum.

i think it will turn out ok.

B

beav1013

i will point out though that i didnt try and micro sol/set on either of the pieces that i was messing with. so proceed at your own risk. if i get to testing/painting before you do, i'll post up what i come up with.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As far as Klear/Future over Alclad goes there seems to be two distinct camps,one sees a difference and one does not. I usually seal Alclad with Klear and I believe there is a slight,visible dulling of the highly polished finishes and virtually no perceivable effect on the others. This probably also explains the existence of the two camps mentioned above!

I've never used decal solutions over "naked" Alclad so I'd suggest a little test before comitting to your model......better safe than sorry!

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I can neve understand alclad/dull 'debate'. If anyone had seen NMF aircraft in WWII they would know that the 'shiney' surface that the aircraft came out the factory with didn't stay shiney that long afterwards. After a few missions at the height they were the metal would have started oxidising and therfore dulling the effect. Even when the metal was treated it still dulled them. So i find the whole concept of weathering a WWII aircraft which has a really shiney surface a bit of a non-starter.

Suppose it comes down to what you like though

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
In the factory.

At work

Shiney,as Allyne says,but highly polished?

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice colin, it should be a good build . One thing to remember though, the wings on p51's were filled and painted in an aluminium colour and werent natural metal, unlike the fuselage, so there should be a distinct difference between the two.Ill be watching with interest as ive finally got some alclad to play with too! cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the input people, nice pics again Steve. So, I'm thinking the shiny Alclad (polished aluminium) with a coat of Klear might give a more accurate finish, and of course no problems with decal setting solutions. Tony thanks for pointing out the finish thing. As it happens, by chance, I bought aluminium and polished aluminium - how's that for a bit of luck !

Colin M......