Alclad II Chrome and Stainless steel

M

m1ks

I have entered the scary world of Alcladding, (pause for dramatic effect)

Tried Alclad Chrome and stainless steel the other night for the first time on a pair of Fork stanchions for a model bike i'm building, experimented first on a part of the sprue, both parts i'd pre-painted using Humbrol black enamel, let dry over 48 hours and buffed gently.

The painting was surprisingly easy, letting the coats build up in mist layers, initially nothing seems to happen, (which is where I guess most are tempted to lay it on thicker), but I persisted having read much about the application and pointers from Graham too.

after about three thin coats you start to see the shine, it's quite magical.

I did a half / half panel in Humbrol Metalcote polished aluminium and Chrome and the backside in the stainless steel, all applied over gloss black.

After spraying I took of the filter mask to admire the end result and suddenly noticed the sparkling twinkly fairy glitter which was magically suspended all around me, soon thereafter I could see rainbows and all manner of pretty colours as I floated gently through the room watching the cartoon animals frolick and play around me.

After two days of recovering from a tremendous hangover style headache to write this I decided that keeping the mask on a little while after spraying may be beneficial.

:lala::grinball2:

So, a quick sum up for anyone still fancying a shot but a bit wary, have a bash, get some cellulose thinners for cleanup, make sure your brush has a teflon seal not rubber, use a mask and a well ventilated room and go and do it.

I used my cheap Chinese airbrush with 0.3mm nozzle, needle and tip, (which I stripped recently to discover it does have a teflon seal), and removed the tiny rubber 'O' ring from the screw in nozzle, (thanks for that tip Graham) and checked it still seals, (which it did, not all nozzles / brushes do though), in theory the 'O' ring shouldn't contact the paint / thinners but it may, at the worst case scenario you'll destroy a few pennies worth of 'O' ring.

I used 12PSI, (indicated on the dial of my mini compressor) and found it a little low, next time i'll use 15PSI and hopefully that should give me a bit more flexibility with paint flow at low openings.

So you don't need an expensive fancy brush, though i'm sure the Iwata's and such are a world apart.

Piccies of the Alcladded parts, unfortunately the images don't really get across how impressive this stuff is and cost wise, to be frank given the typically small quantity useage per project I think it's quite reasonable, (fair enough if you were alcladding an entire 1/24 aircraft it'd be a bit pricey).

Left=Gumbrol polished aluminium, buffed

Right= Alclad II Chrome

Alclad II Stainless Steel

Chrome reflection

Stainless Steel reflection

Fork Stanchions

I also chromed the interior of the headlight bowl too so the should look good once assembled.

F

Fenlander

Really is impossible to photograph Mike, I know as I have never managed to show it as it really looks. Great that you gave it a try and yes, misting it on until the magic happens and as you say, it is magical as it starts to turn into metal before your eyes. Those floaty glitters are very impressive aren't they lol.

M

m1ks

Nope, keeping this one under wraps until closer to completion, it's one i'm building for a friend as a present, (his first bike).

Don't worry, i'll be posting details, am taking pics as I progress :smiling3:

Thanks for the kind words BTW

First Name
Drew
I know I'm over a year late for this but was just shown this thread. I'm contemplating the "Alclad Experience" myself but wasn't sure if it would be worth the money.

I'll certainly be giving it a go now (just wish I'd known about this prior to my current - almost completed - build).

R

Richy C

Great stuff , I know what you mean about overspray only recently got lazy and did not setup my expo extractor fan - it was only a tiny part to spray but ended up with a glitter effect all over my work bench a lesson well learnt , again its not cheap and goes through the airbrush like water but is worth every penny for the results you can get , I`m sure John used to sell alclad in the forum shop , could be wrong ? but it would be nice if the scalemodels shop stocked it .

Richy