Alclad matt over gloss

First Name
Simon
Hi Folks,
I have applied Alclads Aqua Gloss in preparation for decals, went down beautifully BTW. I'm just wondering, once I've glossed over the decals and model and finished the weathering, can I apply the Alclad matt coat over aqua gloss without any issues.

I plan to try it out on an old kit first but thought I'd ask just in case anyone has prior experience

Cheers and have a great weekend
Simon

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Although I have no experience with Alclad varnish I see no reason why the matt would not go over the gloss. Just make certain the gloss coat is fully cured and spray the matt coat in light coats. If in any doubt test it out on a piece of scrap plastic.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Never used Alclad matt varnish, but have used several others (Tamiya, Mr Color, Humbrol Matt cote, Daler Rowney, Vallejo, and Humbrol come to mind) over Alclad gloss with no issues. I’ve also done the same over other makes of gloss varnish, both solvent and water based, again with no issues, apart from some matt varnishes being more or less matt than others. I’m a bit lazy and just use what comes to hand ;)
The most important thing to ensure the underlying gloss is properly dry. I’d give it a couple of days at room temperature. Trapping moisture under the matt varnish can cause white fogging.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Definitely worth doing a test, but I use Alclad matt and semi matt over all sorts and have never had a problem.