All this booth chat is making me thirsty

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hi all,

I have seen a lot of booth catch and some Top-notch advice about PPE and overspray. I am looking to remove nasties, dust as well as overspray.

I have had this booth, pictured below, for many years. Does anyone know if I can upscale the fan inside?
83D7C1CB-3E0F-4D03-AFFA-DFBADEA13A56.jpeg

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5496

If you have a fan Alexander which is working no reason to scale up.

Not to forget the stronger the fan the more rubbish there is in the air will be attracted to it.
That will all pass by the model parts being sprayed.

Plus you do not want to send your paint film off to quickly . The fan only needs to take
away toxic stuff in a gentle fashion.

Makes more sense to get a good mask. To go with the mask filters each side which will block
the type of paint fumes you are using. A good mask manufacturer has numerous filters & they
will advise which types to use for your work..

Make sure the mask has a valve. Breath in through the filters exhume via the valve which will
only open when you breath out.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Also add as there is a lot of talk about this.

The actual time you spend airbrushing a model is minute.

For each model I recon. 4 perhaps 5 sessions of of actually using ie operating the airbrush.
Each session probably 2 minutes.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Also add as there is a lot of talk about this.

The actual time you spend airbrushing a model is minute.

For each model I recon. 4 perhaps 5 sessions of of actually using ie operating the airbrush.
Each session probably 2 minutes.

Laurie
Sorry mate, disagree with you there ;) . If you simply use the airbrush as a spray gun putting on solid coats you may well be correct. If, however you use it as a brush driven by air to generate some of the complex camouflage patterns or to add pre/post shading effects and weathering the time can be many multiples of that. Even carrying out basic Zenitel priming on my gaming minis can take me a good hour or so for thirty figures.

D

Deleted member 5496

Sorry mate, disagree with you there ;) . If you simply use the airbrush as a spray gun putting on solid coats you may well be correct. If, however you use it as a brush driven by air to generate some of the complex camouflage patterns or to add pre/post shading effects and weathering the time can be many multiples of that. Even carrying out basic Zenitel priming on my gaming minis can take me a good hour or so for thirty figures.

Sorry to disagree Tim.

On average the average model maker wiil use the airbrush as indicated.

Look around not many do complicated camouflage. Average camouflage is just another average session just another coat of paint. Plus effects the airbrush is hardly pushing anything out.

Most time in the air brushing booth is spent dispensing paints, cleaning the airbrush & clearing up. Based my figures on a Dart Herald with three main colours (OK accepting, that white is not a colour) plus priming. My Afghanistan diorama 15 pieces & not a bit of camouflage at all bit shocked. Falklands diorama of about 12 pieces 40% simple camouflage.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
I spend a good hour plus adding in tones with 3 or 4 shades on top or under the base colour.

Attachments

• CE1AD8AE-5AC2-4334-BE2E-1574F82E9804.jpeg
    CE1AD8AE-5AC2-4334-BE2E-1574F82E9804.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 16
D

Deleted member 5496

I spend a good hour plus adding in tones with 3 or 4 shades on top or under the base colour.
Wow Alexander you certainly will need a mask.

Love to see one of those you have spent that time on. Could you direct me. Thanks

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Apologies just seen the attachment. Very nice indeed Alexander.

However you have an exceptional talent, I think ,compared to most of us. Certainly me. I definetly would not have the patience, unfortunately.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Horses for courses Laurie, but I would personally find that approach incredibly restricting. Not sure what airbrush you use, by the way, but if that’s what you need an airbrush for, then you could cover the necessary bases by using a good single action spray gun.….anything double action and more complex will just have features you’ll never use.

D

Deleted member 5496

Horses for courses Laurie, but I would personally find that approach incredibly restricting. Not sure what airbrush you use, by the way, but if that’s what you need an airbrush for, then you could cover the necessary bases by using a good single action spray gun.….anything double action and more complex will just have features you’ll never use.

Well you must have seen what I produce Tim I do hope.

Airbrush I use an Iwata CM-B Custom Micron for general & effects work. Superb especially effects.

Please be sure my programs above does not include effects. Which as I said have no real effect as the amount of toxic produced at less than 5/8 PSI, as I use, are hardly relevant.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
For sure Laurie, and I meant no criticism of your work. I misunderstood your comments to mean you just used the airbrush for straight solid coats. Anyone that needs an airbrush for only that can save themselves a bit of cash.
As to toxins from low pressure sprayed effects, you are still atomising the paint, and that will migrate to the atmosphere you breathe, so you should protect yourself from it.

D

Deleted member 5496

For sure Laurie, and I meant no criticism of your work. I misunderstood your comments to mean you just used the airbrush for straight solid coats. Anyone that needs an airbrush for only that can save themselves a bit of cash.
As to toxins from low pressure sprayed effects, you are still atomising the paint, and that will migrate to the atmosphere you breathe, so you should protect yourself from it.

Think Tim we will leave it there. Do you not think.

Kind regards

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Just to restore a bit of reputation i do use affects. However hopefully in moderation.

Laurie

1625424836589.png

D

Deleted member 5496

Just for scientific purposes only as I do not want to prolong this topic from my point of view.

I use Tamiya main colours.

However for effects low PSI I use only Vallejo Air.

Every colour including non colours black & white has been tested by the USA Government labs as non toxic that includes all yellows.

We wear masks for model making then stray out into the road & suck up fumes from cars lorries & aircraft.
Matter of interest with people wearing masks last winter there was an enormous reduction in the number of respiratory viral cases.

Laurie

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
It's odd, I haven't had a cold since March 2020.
As for modelling, I am a rubbish mask wearer and have to contestably remain myself to wear mine; as Mr Hobby Aqua, MRP and Tamiya fan boy and I really fancy living past 30 lol. I wish I could get what I wanted out of Model Air but I could just never get it to work for me :sad:

I am interesting in the science of what we breath in, surely in an ideal world we should only breath 21% O2, 78% N 1% other gases, so anything in addition is bad, but just how bad :thinking: