Allen D's 1/35 Tristar Fieseler Fi-156 Storch Wing Thingy (AAGB)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
Good progress already. If you can get the fuselage halves together without filler that would be thumbs up for Tristar.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Allen,
Great to see this out of the starting gates. Actually looks to have some nice details, just hope you can keep the mojo bubbling and we get to see another update soon :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Snigger snigger...you said to keep the laughter down but a little slipped out when I saw this ..."Next I started fixing up the butt with the rudder and the little wings," :tears-of-joy:

Seriously a good start Allen and great scale for a dio. The inverted V-8 is nicely done...only the Germans can turn it upside down for practicality and aerodynamics. I built a 1/72nd one and can easily be mistaken and slapped as a mosquito.:smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Allen, I just caught up with this. Nice start on the Storch.
Cheers, Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Fine Folks,

Thank you all so much for your support and comments on my Storch. It was a pretty wild wing thingy!!! Andrew, glad to have you on board for this and Colin is so correct about inverted engines. I had forgotten about the 109. John, I will finish this and I have an evil plan for painting it too. Great info Jakko, much appreciated. Ian, Rick and Paul, thanks for the support guys!!! I too hope the fuselage goes together Jim, as putty is not my best friend. Mojo is flying high Si and building this is a bit different. Thanks Richard, you have me laughing too!!! not to hip on the names of wing thingy parts I'm afraid. Wow Neil, that must have been really cool to see. I think we had one on display at the air shows we used to have here in Bamberg along with a JU-52 in civilian colors. Have to dig through the old files to find pics…

I have done some more today, but found my AK grey had thickened up over time and I had to try and thin it down. No interior painting, but I did paint the motor. My evil plan (ok, not so evil) to paint this puppy is as follows…..

The main wings are in two pieces, top and bottom. I will do a test fit and make sure they fit good together. I will paint the bottom pieces sky blue or grey (haven't decided yet) and the camo, RLM 70 and 71, on the top pieces . Then I just have to glue them together and mask off the yellow wing band things on the outer edges. Just hope it works. I'm also going to try an old painting trick for the canopy and save the masks for later use if I screw up the first time. More on this painting nonsense later…

Tomorrow is my last day before going back to work on Monday. I hope to have some progress and a few pics to post then. Thanks again for looking in and have a great Saturday night!!!

Prost
Allen

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice start Allen. Work does get in the way, but does allow for shopping binges:smiling3:. PaulE

• Haha
Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start Allen , it looks like a very nicely detailed kit . Cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening From a Wet and Rainy Bamberg,

Our weather turned to crap, but I did manage to make a little progress today. But first, a few thanks are in order…...

Work does get in the way Paul, but it is nice to have a mad money stash on the side too! Work pays the bills and mad money stash pays the hobby. Thanks for looking in my friend…...

Thanks Tony, I love Tristar kits! Their armor kits are kind of over engineered with loads of parts, but all their kits are very well detailed and Tristar's molding is very good too. I'm surprised that this kit has so few parts…...

I'm going to keep this short and sweet people……...

Well I thinned the hell out of the AK grey paint and got on with painting the office parts. I have some walk arounds to help me with the details and their colors. First is the base coat of grey,

IMG_1903.JPG

Everything needed 2 coats and you can see the hood on the left still needs a second one. The roll cage and the firewall need a coat along with a few other pieces. I also have to finish painting the motor and the headers. Next up were the wings,

IMG_1904.JPG

Had to be careful here because of the large sprue attachment points. Going slowly, they cleaned up nicely, but the fit of the top and bottom pieces need some fine tuning to achieve the fit I need for painting them apart. That did take a while, but in the end, I won the battle and my plan still might work.

IMG_1905.JPG

The fit is not too shabby and they should glue together well after painting. The only bad point is the flaps and their mounting points that need to be glued to both wing pieces as seen below,

IMG_1906.JPG

You can see the 2 notches on the top wing that are used to glue on the flaps. The 6 rectangular slots on the lower wing are for the flap mechanisms. I hope to glue them on the lower wing, ensuring they line up with the slots in the flaps when done. Could be tricky, but I think it will work. In my next post, I will show you what I mean with the flap mechs….

Don't know if the next few days will give me any table time, but I hope so! It is a short week as Friday is a holiday here so I get an extra day to play wing thingy. Thank you all once again for looking in and have a super week folks!!! All comments, good or bad are appreciated….

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
good evening sir,
Impressed to see another update so soon and your ploughing nicely into it :smiling4: Keep it coming dude:cool:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice progress Mr. D...So, this crate comes with a V8 and a Roll Cage. Does it have a 4 Speed or is that optional? :tongue-out3:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen,
It's good to see you posting again and it looks like your on a roll. Nice work so far.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Tad late, but quickly pushing my way to the front!!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Wet and Wonderful Folks All Around,

It appears the fall weather has been dumping lots of wet stuff on us all. Good weather to sit at the table and play with plastic and sniff some glue. First, a big thanks to you all.....

But Bob, you don't have to push as there is plenty of room in my tiny apartment. Every seat is a winner with a good view!!! Thanks Fernando as it is too dark to do any hissy stick work at this time. I could have made an update earlier this week Mr. Benson and Paul, but I kept falling asleep as I started to write. Must be the damn weather. I am not sure Rick, but if it had a Hurst on the floor, we would know the truth!!!

Second, as my friend didn't have any RLM 70 and 71, I made a quick order for some and ended up with a nice set. I also needed RLM04 yellow for the fuselage band and underwing tips,

IMG_1910.JPG

Now I am armed to the teeth with color for wing thingys. I have a Heinkel 162 in the stash and this set covers it too. I have decided to go with plan B on the wings. I have glued them together as adding all the tiny things just wouldn't work when they were 2 pieces. Here's why I went with the new plan. Note all the sprue C pieces,

IMG_1908.JPG

The flaps are no probs, but all the little doo-hickeys that work the flaps would have been a pain in the rear to get lined up after painting and gluing the 2 halves together. So here's the flaps in place,

IMG_1911.JPG

They sit well and are turned down a bit for effect. I then began cleaning up all the little doo-hickey things. After the clean up, I went about gluing them all in place. There a few tiny critters and the tweezers were my best friend. All glued up,

IMG_1913.JPG

I am really pleased as to how well the parts fit. I haven't had any probs with fit yet. The cockpit is a little sparse and will need some help as seen above the wings. I wasn't going to go crazy on scratchy, but a few thing must be made and added. I also have been studying some walk arounds and had to correct one kit part so far. It looks like a measuring device thing under each wing (part B-24), but was too wide and needed a trim,

IMG_1912.JPG

The one on the left is the kit part and on the right is the trimmed version of it. Looks a lot more like the piece on the real bird. I can still shoot paint on the tops and bottoms of the wings without too much masking. I can shoot them at 90° and not get too much overspray if I'm careful. Masking the camo will be some work though. I may also attempt some shading/accent stuff work underneath before the top coat goes on..….

Not a big up date, but it shows I haven't been sitting on my posterior doing nada!!! Thank you for looking in and more to come. All comments good or bad are welcome and I hope we have a dry rest of the weekend...…...….

Prost
Allen

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
Wings look good. I reckon you made the right decision as all those itty-bitty bits look a real test of patience.
It looks like a measuring device thing under each wing (part B-24), but was too wide and needed a trim,
Great attention to detail.
Not used AK paint so it will be interesting to see how you get on with it. Usually cheaper to buy a nice set rather than individual colours :thumb2:
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress allen , and top work with all those tiny pieces , my usual method of doing stuff like this is as follows- tweezers , ‘ping’ , B*###!, hands and knees on floor with torch . Repeat as necessary. :smiling5: Cheers tony