Allen D's 1/35 Tristar Fieseler Fi-156 Storch Wing Thingy (AAGB)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Allen. My style closely resembles Tony's

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I was recently on all fours looking for a pinged etch...etch..etch...etch. I would have liked working on your larger sized kit. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening All From a Wet and Soggy Bamberg,

Rain is the word of the day and the last weekend too. I think the sun went south for the winter along with geese too.

I am trying to stay dry Rick. I've been lucky riding back and forth to work until this afternoon…….
Thank you Jim and the wings should still be pretty easy. The Ak set and the yellow came out to €22. Pretty good for 9 bottles of paint. Can't wait to see how it sprays…..
You are so correct Tony. That's usually my method too, but for some reason I have had no probs with the tiny stuff. The bad side is I have laminate flooring in a tan color and the parts are harder to see with this kit, when they do fly. Thanks Sir…...
Thanks Paul and if you get a chance, pick up a Tristar kit as they are really nice. Maybe a Czech 38T.....
Mine too Joe, especially when it comes to etch or scratch built parts. Thanks for dropping in.......
It's a funny thing Richard that for the Tristar/Hobby Boss kits of this plane, there are no etch sets available. My seatbelt set is for the Hasegawa 1/32 kit, so I have been crawling around looking only for plastic. Thanks Sir and take care...…

Short and sweet…..
I have been studying about 200 pictures of walk arounds and have found many things that could be added to the cockpit, but I want to finish the Storch in this lifetime. So, I will make only the basics and not get crazy. I have also been studying up on pre-shading and weathering for a wing thingy. I've learned some things and gotten confused by others. Respect to all wing thingy builders around the world!!! One item I noticed appears to be the throttle and choke controls for the engine (I think). It's mounted on the pilot's left side and quite noticeable. Some odd tidbits with some thin sheet and we came up with this,

IMG_1914.JPG

The 2 white strips are for the linkages that go to the motor?, but will only go under the dash in this case (out of site will look good). I then mounted it up on the roll cage to see if it works,

IMG_1915.JPG
I guess it will pass muster for the moment. Once I dry fit the dashboard, I can glue the linkages in place. It is supposed to look like this on the real bird,

Storch Cockpit.jpg

Kind of a small pic, but one can get the idea of other goodies to be added. Not sure about the yellow handle tips though....

I did really want to try out the AK paint with my hissy stick, but our weather sucks and it was/is dark the whole day long. I hope to paint up the rest of the cockpit parts and scratch a few more this week. Other things have been done, but not worth taking pics of. Also up shortly are the seatbelts, but I don't have enough beer in the fridge for those yet.....

Thanks again for looking and keep you powder dry folks!!!

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Allen,
That’s a neat mechanism you’ve built, it looks like it does something important :nerd:

Also having some miserable weather here on the south coast in Blighty....proper hibernating season now!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Dude 1.
Would be a tricky kit with those very small parts for me, you have done a nice job. Esp like those really small details bitsas in fitting of that linkage .
Not bad day here, some sun, but more nasty stuff forecast .

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello young man type,
I see you have entered the throngs of the angels and those that wish to be close to them.
As I am not entering the GB, I hope you will not take offence if I sit at the back and join the commenters that do not know much about this bird, but will take notes and instructions, so bog roll and pencil ready, you may advance further.
Good subject matter and looking forward to more, but remember to keep the weathering subtle, it flies through the air not the mud...
Cheers
Mike.

• Haha

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Allen, I believe that is the throttle and mixture control lever you have fabbed up there. They are usually on the same quadrant. Nice detail work going on here. I can see that the weather hasn't dampened the mojo one bit. Moggle on Bro, Rick H.

• Wow

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I see you've gone to be nearer the angels. Good onya. Looking fine so far. Have always given props to Wingy modelers as they don't have mud/dirt/dust/crapnthebak/field expedient paint jobs/etc. to cover their screw-ups/failings. PaulE

• Haha

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking good mate, guess after the trailer work you were up to some more fidly bits.
Take it easy on the beers when tacking the seatbelts, too much wreaks havoc on the hand/eye coördination:tongue-out3:.

Ps. If you need some tips for the weathering just shout

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Once Again Folks,

The wing thingy build is still going on with a few personal setbacks along the way. Even so, the Mojo is soaring and I have been working on the Storch. I really want to thank you all for putting up with following me on this adventure. Your encouragement and comments keep me going through the hard times...

A small update is in order. My problem is looking at too many references and finding things to be added to the kit. I love to scratch crap and that's where the problem lies. Too much scratchy and no progress. Anyway, we did scratch a couple more parts and then called it a day,

IMG_1918.JPG

Well Si and John, I had to add this other lever thingy on the left as it was in all my reference pictures in the cockpit. I can't add the linkages until I see exactly where they go when I set this into the fuselage halves. I think Rick hit the nail on the head with the throttle setup and maybe he has an idea what this lever on the right side does...

I wanted to paint the rest of the interior parts in the RLM grey that came with the AK set I bought. First up, I put a MIG steel ball in every bottle to help mix up the paint when I shake the hell out of it for use. I don't know Jim, if I shook the bottle long enough or it's the paint, but when it dried, it has a sheen to it and is not matt. (pic to follow)…..

I then drank a beer and started the seatbelt work. I have to say, honestly, they were easier than I imagined they would be. Cutting them out was tricky and the etch was small, but following my buddy Fernando's wise words I drove on. After 3 beers and around 2 hours, we had this and there was still beer in the fridge,

IMG_1921.JPG
The seat looks a mess, but I had to trim off the molded piece so I could add the etch part. The etch cleans up nice and you have to trim the belts to fit in the etch pieces. You then fold the end piece of the belt over the etch and fasten it using white glue and not regular plastic glues or CA. I must admit that the destructions for these are horrible and there are parts of etch that aren't shown anywhere. Their website didn't help either. In the end it all worked out pretty good,

IMG_1922.JPG
Looking at the dashboard, you can see I scratched up a light on the top to illuminate the important instruments while flying at night. You can also see the sheen of the AK RLM grey that I'm not happy with. I could have used one of the clear dashboards and the decal for the instruments, but I wanted to hairy stick the hell of this one to see how it would turn out. I'll give the grey another shot later after I shake it for a day or two. I hope the other colors I need for this will be matt.

I have taken to heart the words from PaulE and Mike for this build. I can't hide the booboo's with mud and crap and Mike, all I can say is this wing thingy is cool as I stated at the beginning and thanks for the weathering tip……...

That's about it for now. It seems I forget that this GB runs for 6 months and not 6 weeks. Thanks again and hopefully it won't be too long till the next update.........…….

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1.
Belts looking excellent very neat. Think you going along well on this.
Can't help with the paint problems, but some paints do tend to have more shine than others. Hopefully someone will tell us why.
Crack on Dude

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan

Your clearly have the patience of a saint. I would never cope with all of that etch, small pieces and general fiddly bits. I really am looking forward to seeing this come together.

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Allen, love the scratchy stuff Bro! Keep it coming. Not sure about the lever on the right but if I had to guess I'd say it's the flap handle being as how this crate doesn't have retractable gear or an ejection seat :rolling: .
Cheers, Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

Not sure how I've managed to miss so much of this Allen but there's some very fine looking work been going on. Shall pay more attention from now on.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Coming along really nicely Mr Dewire :thumb2:

I am a little concerned about your statement ”I love to scratch crap and that's where the problem lies”. I would imagine this is why some are reluctant to shake hands with you :smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks so much guys for the fine comments. Sorry, but I haven't an update yet. I will answer you all correctly when I do. Thanks again and Mr. Benson needs to find a job as we have enough comedians out of work!!!

Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I say nutting...naaatting as sargent Schultz would vehemently deny...

Cheers,
Hogans Heroes Fan

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
"Oh I see nothing. I was not here. I did not even get up this morning!" PaulE