AllenD's 1/35 Dragon StuG IV, Last Production '45 - Bob's StuG GB

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Paul,

1st retirement comes from America. 2nd will be the Military (still fighting with them) and 3rd will be from Germany (beer money +)…...

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very neat and tidy work Allen. This will be one detailed Stug IV for sure!
Cheers
Paul

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
ALLEN... sorry that l missed this one....i'm IN late...but if I may i'm in.. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific update Allen. Loads of options for the tracks and other goodies. Keep it comin mate

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Allen

Looking the business, lovely work!!!

Bob

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude1, looking good buddy.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morning StuG Lovers Around the Globe,

Like a lot of folks. I'm at home for a week or two and have been working on my StuG to pass the time. It's not easy, but with all the encouragement from you fine folks, It is fun not to worry where the time goes while playing at the table.

A huge thank you goes out to PaulS, Paul66, Greg, Stevie, Jim, Bob and Dude 2 (John) for fine comments and support on this project. The brain farts have pretty much subsided now too......

I did try out my plan to get the Saukopfblende on the gun and it worked without busting up anything,

IMG_2008.JPG
I then decided to leave it on, cause if I tried to get it off, I would bust stuff. I painted all around it as there would be no way to shoot this with the AB. When I get to the hissy portion. I'll slip a cover over it. Next up was fitting the rear deck with the fencing. It sat too high and had a 1mm gap above the rear exhaust plate. I went about sanding the vents and finally got it to sit almost flush. While admiring my sanding skills and tipping the model towards the sky, the rear deck slipped off and hit the floor. DOH!!!...…...But I got lucky,

IMG_2007.JPG
Just the fence popped off as well as one of the mounting feet. After a long while of scratching off the old CA and making 2 new feet, I was able to CA it back on. I also decided to glue on the rear deck to avoid any more mishaps,

IMG_2010.JPG
I inserted a very thin strip of sheet to ensure the gap was sealed. It was now time for a little more of the glitzy stuff. Support straps for the forward side skirt mounts as well as my field mod on the left side skirt mount (tan Pieces),

IMG_2009.JPG
My biggest fear was that the plate would not clear the strap on the right, but,

IMG_2011.JPG
It was fine in the end and we could move on to more little details. I damn near forgot to add the gun sight. That would have been a fun job after the roof was glued on. Convoy light mount, ventilator cover, rear side skirt mounts, rear fenders and the tow cable hooks,

IMG_2013.JPG
I must remember to paint the sight before fastening the roof. You can see that the left tow cable hook had pinged off into oblivion so I scratched up a new one. Another view of my baby,

IMG_2014.JPG
In the mess behind her are the other various sundries needed to complete the StuG including a nice brass tow cable. The biggest remaining obstacle is whether or not to let the crew be warm inside or be chilly in the March to April '45 timeframe,

IMG_2015.JPG
The etch plates are just set in place for a test fit. I might close a few and leave a few open. I'll kick it around a bit while working on the side skirts (schurzen). Still more tidbits to add and start gathering/prepping the Gerödel* for the rear deck. Then it's out with the hissy stick.....

That's all for now. Still a lot to do, but we are getting there. Thank You again for looking in and all C, C and C are welcome…….

Bleib Gesund (stay healthy)
Allen

*Gerödel = Crapintheback (from PaulE)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1 Greetings from sunny Race Towers.

looking really good buddy. Nice to see some real progress from Bamberg V2 Site.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Interesting feature I hadn't noticed before. The cover over the gun mantle, was that a standard feature of the Stug. lV or a field mod. ?
Great job so far Sir, looking forward to seeing it come together.
Rick H.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looking good Allen, are the etch bits in the kit or aftermarket?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Interesting feature I hadn't noticed before. The cover over the gun mantle, was that a standard feature of the Stug. lV or a field mod. ?
Great job so far Sir, looking forward to seeing it come together.
Rick H.
Field mod Rick, both the StuG 111 and IV always had a gap between the base of the gun shield and the superstruture, the StuG 111 often had canvas and the IV the metal rain and everything else shield.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely work Allen, superb StuG, they all are (tablets not working lol)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Allen, that explains a lot. I knew about the canvas on the lll, I just never saw that tin plate over a mantle on a lll or lV. Obviously reminiscent of the TigerVl and Panther V debris shields that I so often see in ref. photos. Cheers Rick H.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Very nice work Mr DeWire! You should give up shuffling your decks though- creates more work! :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morning from a cold and sunny Bamberg,

Dude 2, Thank you Sir and with the cancellation of the World Model Expo till 2021, I have 15 months to get my V2 project back on track...

Paul, Thanks too my friend. I have some time to actually get something done now....

Rick, Bob beat me to the punch. most all were field mods and there were 3 different types used or thrown together. I haven't found any hard evidence (orders or waffenamt directives) that Krupp added something in the production. There were StuG IV's that had a welded angled plate over the gap. It looked like this (from the Revell kit),
DSCF0292[1].JPG
But again, no concrete evidence that it was factory made…….

Graeme, Thanks too Sir and with the kit comes a fret of etch and the etch side skirts. I used 2 Voyager sets for the rest. Please take a look at page 2 for piccies of them.....

Bob, Thanks Sir for the compliment and for the info for Rick. I also hope that you are felling better too. You take care.....

Alistair, Yeah, you know how us older folks get the jitters sometimes. Gotta remember to glue first and admire your work second…..

I got a bit more done yesterday and hope to drive on with more today. I mounted the side skirt channels and the flaps for the vents on the rear deck under sides,
….paint gun sight….
IMG_2016.JPG
I left two flaps open and the other two shut. The other side of her, ….paint gun sight...

IMG_2017.JPG
Again two open flaps and two closed. I glued the cupola in place and made the weld seam around the deflection piece in front from stretched sprue soaked with TET (Tamiya)…..Must remember to paint gun sight, paint gun sight……...Don't forget, gun sight!!!!

More later after I paint the gun sight. Thanks for looking in folks and stay safe….

Bleib Gesund
Allen

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Dude 1 , very neat indeed.

You could keep chickens on the back !
Mr Race leaving the building :smiling::nerd:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A tip. if I may - don't forget to paint the gunsight!
Pete