AllenD's 1/35 Dragon StuG IV, Last Production '45 - Bob's StuG GB

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morning World,

Greetings from a cold and drab Bamberg on this 1st of December. My entry into the fray will be the Dragon kit (6647) of a last production StuG IV. I will get into the details a bit later in the build. I will be basing my StuG on one from the 10th Panzer Grenadier Division fighting their way back through Czechoslovakia in 1945. Still undecided over adding the engine compartment, but the Friuls are a must as I sold the DS tracks a year or more ago. Enough blah blah and on to the pics!!! The culprits,

IMG_1863.JPG
The motor kit is for the Tamiya StuG, but with some butchery, it should fit in the back of this baby if I do go with it. Lots of resin in the kit,

IMG_1936.JPG
We'll see…...On to the sprue shots and of course Dragon has plenty of them in a kit,

IMG_1937.JPG
What you see above are sprues from at least 4 different kits. StuG III, StuG IV, Brumbär and Panzer IV!!! On to the next shot,

IMG_1938.JPG
Again, Panzer IV and StuG IV kit parts. And finally,

IMG_1939.JPG
Tons of parts (and JR favorites), along with etch and a huge decal sheet. On to the destructions. Usual Dragon,

IMG_1940.JPG
A correction sheet on the top left, huh??? Loads of typical this or that options with no explanations of what or why,

IMG_1941.JPG
More this or that,

IMG_1942.JPG
And still more and more. There is a good side though,

IMG_1943.JPG
There are tons of parts for the spares box left over. It looks like almost half of what's in the kit......…...…..

Work will begin shortly alongside my Storch from the Animal GB. If work ever eases up, doing two builds at once will be a change of pace for me and maybe keep me from taking those long afternoon naps after work. So let's have some fun here folks and make Bob proud!!!

Prost
Allen

PS, Sorry for my absence on here of late. Work and personal demons have beaten me up a bit. It's getting better though...……...…...…..

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon Allen, lovely looking kit there, i have the CMK bits have you used them before, all new to me :rolling:

Dragon always give you lots and lots of spares lol

D

Deleted member 7181

That's a whole lot of plastic and some lovely goodies you have there Allen.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Allen, neat to see the long barrel variant and with many extra’s too:thumb2:.
The engine compartment is pretty cool to add for a little maintenance dio or so.

Of course you can combine it with the Storch, with paint drying on the one construction can progress on the other:smiling2:.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There are tons of parts for the spares box left over. It looks like almost half of what's in the kit......…...…..
Dragon obviously works on the principle that plastic is cheap. Unlike, say, Hasegawa who’ll cheerfully release three different versions of the same vehicle in 1:72 with only a few parts changed by cutting off different parts of a few sprues —they could make one kit with parts for two or three versions, but choose not to.

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
What I really like about this Dragon kit is that going by the instructions there aren't that many big pieces which will have to be cut into shape - it seems like it's detail cutting, which is less risky than being asked to cut into huge, central pieces of the hull, etc.!

Looking forward to seeing this one as well :smiling:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Stuggies and all wonderful folks out there,

I made a start and after 10 minutes, the destructions had me busting a gut. I decided to move on to the resin CMK engine compartment set and the clean up of the parts...

A big thank you to Bob, Andy, Fernando, Jakko and Christian for coming on board for my build. Dragon always gives you so many extra parts and I enjoy that. They do come in handy when scratch building something. So, on to some progress……….....

Normally you start with the dreaded roadwheels and suspension parts. Like I stated above, a total soup sandwich. Here is just one example of the nonsense,

IMG_1949.JPG
3X MA9???? Dragon decided to be cheap and make your life fun to boot. This StuG uses the late cast idlers so one day I will have to play with the etch 1/3 circles. I decided to move on and see how the CMK resin set fits into the back end of this buggy. Cleanup and removal of the pour stubs went good and cleanup is pretty easy. You have to be careful as there is so much fine detail that you can wreck/break (how do I know) if you are not gentle while handling them,

IMG_1948.JPG
The 2 lifting hooks on the radiator are hollow and I still have to saw off the pour stubs from the 2 fans. Note the bolts on the header end flanges. The details are sweet in this kit. a test fit of a few pieces,

IMG_1945.JPG
A real nice fit although the exact placement will be determined when the back plate is added and one can align the exhaust pipes and the cold weather start mechanism with the motor. Oh, the motor,

IMG_1947.JPG
The resin casting is really fine and the details abound. There are a few pieces still to be added including the fan belts and some pulleys. The rear motor mounts are cast in the firewall and well detailed too. Speaking of firewall, the kit piece and the CMK resin piece,

IMG_1946.JPG
The resin piece is about 1 1/2 mm shorter in height. Not a big deal at all and easily corrected with a strip of plastic sheet if needed. I still need to thin the sides of the resin panel and find the correct kit rear plate for the last version. Then I can set everything in place to see if it works like I want it to....

Still not sure how to put the motor compartment into play with this as the StuGs in the 10th PGD were issued in March - April 1945. Maybe Rudi is going to clean out the air filters or something after a heavy battle......…..

Thanks for looking in and I haven't stopped working the Storch either. An update on it will follow later this week. Have a great night and stay warm everyone!!!

Prost
Allen

PS...Bob, I hope your resin sets are as well cast as this set is...…......…......…..

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
So do I Allen so do I lol

Will let you know, wednesday is curse of the resin day

Excellent work and watching your great work unfold with much interest

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr D,

Well if you wanted a quick, easy hassle free build you should of got off the bus two stops back mate :smiling5:
looks like your going to be a busy bunny, but I have faith that you might finish this particular GB, maybe :thinking: :smiling4:

Good luck and may the force be with you :nerd:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
That's a lot of parts Allen - looks like you nearly have enough spare to make something else!

I totally rebuilt the old Tamiya kit into one of these
stug-iv-334_2014-01-05.JPGstug-iv-335_2014-01-05.JPGstug-iv-336_2014-01-05.JPGstug-iv-337_2014-01-05.JPGstug-iv-338_2014-01-05.JPG
Hopefully yours will be a bit easier

That engine set looks good

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great kit you have there Allen. Nice to see Dragon are up to their usual standards (or should I say down). The resin engine looks the DB's. Looking forward to seeing that built and painted up. Nice to see you building something with lots of wheels again

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Late Afternoon Once Again StuGGies,

Been absent of late as work and life has beaten the me up quite a bit and killed most of my table time. I have made some progress on The StuG IV, but none on the Storch. It's still been too dark to fire up the hissy stick...

Bob And Si, Thanks gents and I think this one could make to the finish line with in the 6 months, including paint!!!

Hi Simon, The resin engine kit is very nice, but my sausage fingers have caused me to make repairs on a few things. I remember your StuG and all the blood, sweat and tears you put into making all the corrections. Gotta catch up on your entries too. My nemesis is the destructions from Dragon, but I'm getting through them...

Thanks Stevie, I love to build things with a lot of wheels. I do hope to make the engine compartment look good and there are a few surprises to be thrown into this build too...

As this puppy is going to be wearing a set of Friuls and has swinging armor plates, I needed to make the suspension operable to adapt to terrain. Some of you may know this trick with later released Dragon Pz IV chassis based kits. It's pretty easy to give the suspension some movement. Here is a quick SBS on how to do it,

IMG_1950.JPG
As you can see above, the spring mounts have 3 pins and the caps do too. The top pin is D shaped as is the hole on the spring mount. Simply nip off the smaller of the 2 round pins on both the cap and mount. You also need to make the triangle part under the pins smaller. If you cut off too much, it doesn't matter as the glue point is where the D pin fits in the top. Just compare the left set to the modified right set to see the difference. It is simple and when you are done, you should have this,

IMG_1952.JPG
Hit a few bumps and you will have this,

IMG_1953.JPG
With road wheels, you get a better idea of how it works,

IMG_1957.JPG
Just remember to test fit the springs and see how far they travel up and down. Modify as needed and then glue the cap on. I hope this is useful to some folks...

I finally got all the resin parts cleaned up. The last 2 were the fan motor housings with their big pouring plugs that needed removing. Off to the bathroom sink and with a dribble of running water and the trusty JLC, we did this,

IMG_1958.JPG
A bit of post sawing cleanup and they were done. Again, the parts are cast with really fine details and they fit the fans perfectly. A quick check of the motor fit to see how the the exhaust system would line up with the rear plate holes,

IMG_1951.JPG
The only prob with the whole resin set is the air cleaner hose from the carbs to the filters isn't curved enough to clear the firewall. I don't have a pic, but some hot water and a little care will correct this minor prob. Once I have ensured that all of the parts fit where they are supposed to, I can give them a soapy bath, a fresh rinse and set them aside to air dry. After that I will start painting them and adding some final touches.

I do believe there was a discussion about sunken screws, rivets and bolts in Scratchy's (paintguy) StuG build. I will only offer a pic of what a StuG IV had as a reference. It's better if you can enlarge it a bit (I'm blind) to see the detail,

IMG_1959.JPG
You have to admit that Dragon does mold some good detail into their kits.

So this is where we stand as of Tuesday. It's not a pretty sight, but is taking shape and beginning to look like a StuG IV,

IMG_1960.JPG
Ok, maybe not a StuG IV yet!!! I am not going to use the 1/3 piece etch rings on the idler wheels. With the tracks on, you probably won't see them anyway. My short run of Friuls fit the sprockets perfect too. I have also started to build the gun and mount in the last few days...

With the approaching holidays, and with luck, a full week off, I should make some progress on both this and the Storch. I also hope to catch up here on the forum too with all the great builds going on. Thanks for having a look and all C.C. and C welcome.

Happy Holidays to All and remember, "Santa always said you were a Ho, Ho, Ho!!!"

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Guten abend Allen,
Well thats a sweet looking engine and great advice for making the suspension have some movement :thumb2: Ok not a StuG just yet, but certainly getting there mate:smiling4:

Happy holidays to you and look forward to seeing some progress on your week off :smiling4:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen,
Good to see you again I keep missing your posts. Nice work on the upgrades. Seasons greetings to you and yours.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mein Gott, das ist ein Bausatz, den du da hast, Alter 1. Hut ab, weil du es versucht hast. Gute Arbeit, ich versuche nichts davon, diese Ablenkungen wären das Ende von mir.

And for those of us that don't speak German.

My god that's some kit you have there Dude 1. Hats off to you for attempting it. Good job I'm not attempting any of it, those distructions would be the end of me................... Well its roughly that ( according the Google :smiling2: )

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Off to a good start Allen

I would replace the idler rings with one piece plastic ones using the compass cutter - splitting them into three so they can cram them in on the fret rather than doing full circles is a bit poor

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Allen

Up and at them, looking forward to this.

Looks like its only us two who are having a go at a modern Dragon StuG

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening One and All StuG Fans,

Thanks very much for the nice words and greetings. I would have done exactly that Simon, but I glued them together. I could still split a cut out ring and glue it in place. I will just drive on and hope no one notices. Thanks Sir!!! I see John has gotten carried away with gurgle again and Si and Paul haven't fallen asleep yet. Thanks for that guys. We will have to wait and see if someone else joins the Dragon fray for the GB Bob, who knows!

Christmas is over and I hope everyone had a great time and got lots of pressies too. I have had some time off and some good table time myself. I have decided to not build the engine compartment into my StuG as I couldn't come up with a plausible reason to have the engine compartment covers open to show it off. Ok, let me explain a little,

The 10 Panzergrenadier division was almost wiped out 2 times between latter '44 and again in early '45. They were rebuilt/manned in Germany both times and in '45 were sent to an area in Czechoslovakia to fend off the Russian hordes attacking from the east. The were one of the last units to receive brand new StuG IV's from the Krupp works in March. Being brand new and fighting a retreating battle, they were either destroyed in battle or blown up by the crew if they ran out of fuel, ammo or had needed major repairs. The crew carried as much extra fuel as they could find as well as ammo. Hence the closed engine compartment. Don't worry, I have 11 other Pz IV based kits in the stash to put it in…..

I have ordered 2 Voyager etch sets to add into the build and I will fill the back end with lots of crap too. I also need to show the swinging armor side plates so the StuG has to sit at an angle and not on flat ground. Ok, enough waffle for now and on to some progress pics. We all know Friul tracks and I love them for the authenticity and sag, not to mention detail too. They are a bit labor intensive, but worth it in the long run,

IMG_1962.JPG
With those out of the way, we could move onto something else. There are some radios and a very detailed 7.5 cm gun with mount on the inside of the StuG, but the plan is to only have the commander in an open hatch. There is no way one would ever see the details even with both hatches open on top. Here's the parts that I mean,

IMG_1969.JPG
The radios will go into the spares box and the gun has to be mounted inside. The spare road wheel holder is finely molded and uses an etch piece for the bottom. The Saukopf mantle also has nice texture on it.. Next up I wanted to build the remote MG assembly and after going through all the sprues 3 times, the P sprue I needed was nowhere to be found. OOPs, somebody was asleep at the switch. When I got the kit about 2 years ago, it was sealed with the 4 big round pieces of tape Dragon uses. I will send a mail to our distributor for Germany (Carson) tomorrow and complain. In the meantime, I have raided my Trumpy kit of the Hetzer Starr for what I needed. It was time to do a test fit of the major components,

IMG_1965.JPG
Now it is beginning to look like a StuG IV and note the handles on the final drive inspection hatches. The last series StuG IVs didn't have the reversed air scoops like the other models and only had one headlight,

IMG_1966.JPG
Oh, and don't ask what the 5 holes are for on the front plate. Typical Dragon destruction doings with no reason for opening them up. I will have to plug them with sprue I guess. The fit overall is not too bad. You do need to do a little trimming and sanding here and there to get the right fit. The back side of the beast,

IMG_1968.JPG
The flame reducer exhaust stacks are nicely done and you get three sets in the kit. The towing pintle is wrong and not glued in place. You get 4 different towing pintle sets in the kit too. There is a small gap between the rear plates that will need work when they are glued together....

Not much else can be done for the moment. I have to put this aside until the etch sets come, latest next week due to the new year holiday. Then I can do the commanders cupola and some other things. Tomorrow, I hope to drive on with the Storch and maybe do some hissy work on her as we are supposed to have sunshine. Wish me luck...........

Thanks again for looking in and putting up with my drivel. Keep your pigments dry and drink beer!!!

Prost
Allen