Allen's (V2) F-108 Cable Reel Trailer for SimonT

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's crazy Jakko, I've got three of these and over the Years I have only had to change batteries a couple of times in one of them and not at all in the other two. Matter of fact, one is equipped with a battery saving function that automatically shuts the unit down if not in use after a few minutes time.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's crazy Jakko, I've got three of these and over the Years I have only had to change batteries a couple of times in one of them and not at all in the other two. Matter of fact, one is equipped with a battery saving function that automatically shuts the unit down if not in use after a few minutes time.
Rick .Hi buddy .
Arg you have the deluxe version then :smiling2::smiling2:
Lost my top rate one a Mitutoyo, then had a couple of really cheap battery types. Ok but eventually failed, now have a manual one. Much prefer the battery type, like you the battery lasted for months and was used most days in the shop .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Gotem' at Harbor Freight.....a 4" 6" and a 12" all made by the same manufacturer.......I use the 4"the most at my hobby bench. The others are languishing in my Roll Away down in the shop. Sure hope Allen doesn't mind us yacking all over his thread.........ALLEN!...........ALLEN!.......ALLEN!:rolling: I'll get me coat......

Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Avast ya land lubbers Hide ya rum and lock up your treasures...that pesky pirate has shown up port side!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have cheap digital callipers that drains the battery in a matter of months and a battery compartment lid that’s held down with two screws — so I can’t even pull out the battery easily when I don’t need the thing. Since I don’t need it far more than I do need it, the inconvenience of a flat battery far outweighs the convenience of having a digital display.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The last one I bought, was the 4".....paid $29.00 US for it (retail) and the battery door slides open....made by Pittsburgh (other brands are available) has a button on it to convert to metric display if one chooses so to do. Hope this helps. Rick H.

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
They don't consider folks like us, what pays attention to detail......after all Mr. Jones, :rolling: it's only a model. What were you thinking? lol.
Cheers mate........you too Allen! Scholl!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Avast Ye Landlubber's,

While you have been blubbering about calipers of all sorts, I've been busting my gut at swabbing working me table.............

Just have a look here if you don't believe the Capt'n - https://www.scale-models.co.uk/thre...-1-32-he-162-a-1-prototype.36408/#post-530479

I've also done a bit on me trailer. Thank you all for the interest and the blabber. I couldn't believe the injector marks either Stevie and Rick, but hey, whatcha gonna do??? Jimbo, I have been doing me math and using me gusgogo guesstimation and the gezinta systems with results, but first, I have finished the dang tires along with other tidbits. Tires took a heck of a long time,

IMG_2253.JPG

What I can't understand is the 8 ribs on the side walls of the tires. They may have been there on some of the real trailers, but I have never seen them so pronounced. had some work to do,

IMG_2254.JPG

To remove them was a PITA, but with a bit of dirt and such, they won't look too bad when done. Here you can also see the sag in the tires. I have slightly enlarged the inside of the them so when mounted on the rim, after painting, you can rotate them to sit flat on the ground. I have also made a start on the trailer body and found (I hope) the right measurements this time. I will be building it just like a real one. That's from the side framework to the walls,

IMG_2255.JPG

The cardboard piece on the left is my practice piece and the reels and tire are for the correct height of the compartments. The first 6 inside frame supports are cut and don't mind the BlahBlah numbers on the paper. They're just my "Alzheimer's Notes".........

That's about it for tonight. Oh, and sorry Lee, I remembered that you work in 1/48 scale and I should have known when I asked.......

Prost
Allen

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That a lot of parts for one wheel Dude 1 nearly as bad as building tracks !
Nice idea of built in sag on the tyres.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yeah, those tires do look good with that slightly underinflated look.......oh and the 8 tabs on the side walls were supposed to keep you from rubbing the whitewalls off while parallel parking this thing Dude. :tongue-out: Hard 'O port and steer clear'O the curb Matey!!
Rick H.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Blimey Captain Jack.Im away for a short time and you are swashbuckling away with your build.
Fine and dandy me Hearties arrr.
Rich

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat work so far mate, seems that each wheel is a kit on its own:upside:

Really odd to see the punch marks on the topside of the trailer, maybe something with one part of the factory not talking to the other as some of Asian kit makers have…

Scaled down notes ready I see, good luck my friend :thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Crazies Out and About,

Ok, a week has gone by and I'm finally back on the ground and working on this project once again. The wing thingy fever has subsided and it's time to get serious here.... Sorry for the late replies.......

Paul - Thanks my friend. The spokes are from an etch set as you can see below. I thought about doing them with wire, but my sanity talked me out of it, plus I didn't have enough beer in the fridge....

Graeme - Great to have you here Sir and I hope you have a good time. That was a Halloween I won't forget and uhh, I don't remember too much about it either.....Something to do with JD and coke!!!

Dude 2 - I'd rather build tracks or road wheels buddy. At least they go together much better than the wheels in this kit. It gets better too. See below for a kick.......

Rick - You killin' me dude!!! That is one helluva answer and I still giggle about it. But the idea is a good one if this baby had some big bucks alu rims......

Richard - Arrrhhhh, a little rum goes along way here on the Pearl Matey....It's gonna get better before we go under again my friend......

Fernando - How's the mojo Roadrunner??? I think I've got it going in the right direction this time. Making my own wheels too!!! I have an evil plan for the sink marks, if they show....I'll call you tomorrow after work..........

So I broke out the Olga or Olfa, or whatever it's called and started to cut some circles out of 0,040 and 0,020 sheet plastic. I had followed Simon's advice and had turned the blade around so it cuts better......And it did. After a while I had these,

IMG_2256.JPG

Two thingies that will look like tires. The set on the drill bit looks pretty good. So now you're wondering what these will end up as,

IMG_2258.JPG

They'll end up being spoked wheels like in the pic. The finished one above is from my Steyr Stromversorgungswagen and has to be hung back on the side of it. Measuring out the etch rims, I'll cut out the discs to make them fit in the new ones for the trailer. I even have an idea to make tread on the tires.....I love the valve stems on the etch rims too. BTW Paul, the originals were made from the spare tires from the ancient Tamiya motorcycle kit with side car. I used a metal reamer from work to enlarge the insides of the tires to fit the etch rims in them. I think I reamed more skin off my fingers than plastic from inside the tires while turning the damn thing.....

I have also measured and re-measured the compartments for the reels and finally took the plunge and cut them out of sheet. The compartment dividers are 0,030 sheet and the long divider front to rear from 0,020 sheet. Of course the gezinta method let me down the first time and I had to make a new long divider from 0,020 sheet,

IMG_2257.JPG

Now when put together, it fits real good and it even fit correctly on the trailer bed. Next up, will be the horizontal long compartment divider to separate the upper and lower compartments, but only on the side with the open doors.....

Still a whole bunch of stuff to do...Ok, really a whole bunch more stuff to do!!!! Thanks for looking in and all C,C and C are welcome.

Prost
Allen

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Dude1 that's some fancy scrathery you're turning out. I tip my hat to you .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You are thinking this out well Allen, and as a result you have a good logical build going. Nice job!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
By 'eck Sir there is some seriously good work going on here. It all looks very neat and sorted. Great to see.
Jim