Allen's (V2) F-108 Cable Reel Trailer for SimonT

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon all,

As some of you may remember, I attempted this build once before for my V2 rocket project. After building most of it, I realized the dimensions were all wrong. The compartments were too high and not wide enough and the wheelbase was too short. Now is the perfect time to get this one right....

For those who are not familiar with this trailer, I will offer a little background as to what I am building.....A short history.

A V2 rocket battery had over 100 vehicles in it and the launching of the V2 required lots of cables to perform the pre-flight checks and services, as well as the actual launch itself. When the rocket was launched, the cables attached fell away and got burned by the rocket propellant flames. The battery need lots of replacement reels to continue the launches. There were 2 cable reel trailers for this job. The F-110 small reel trailer carrying 8 cable reels and the F-108 large cable reel trailer carrying 56 cable reels. It also had 2 reel carts for rolling out the reels and some reels of commo wire too. I'll be building the large one...

This is the materials being used for this project,

IMG_2181.JPG

The basis kit is from Das Werk. The body of the trailer will be scratched from Evergreen plastics and the reels are from my last attempt. A huge thank you goes to Jim (Jim & Samson) and Paul (Scotty3158) for their generosity supplying the reels and bits....

The sprues,

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

I do have a few more reels not shown. I will only be using the trailer from the bed down, The sides and ends will go in the spares box. The body and compartments will be scratched with Evergreen. With luck and beer, it should end up looking like this,

F 108 Kabel Anh. Gr..jpg

F 108 Cable Trailer Large.jpg

F 108 Front Compartments.jpg

The 2 reel carts, spoked wheels and ladders will be included. I plan on having 5 doors open on one side for show. The others will all be closed....

As I have no plans and only 6 pictures, I will be using my famous Gusgogo Guesstimation System for the build. I did this on my last attempt but the trailer was 1.5 cms too short, throwing all the other guesstimations out of whack. I will begin this project in about a week due to another project that must be finished (94% done) first....

Sorry for the long BlaBla (Waffle), but I wanted to make sure you all know what I am building for this GB.....

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like it is going to be a lot of fun Allen........I built one of these 5 tonners a couple years back and all I had was photos to work with. If the Guestimation system fails you, you can always try the WAG system.........a Wild Ass Guess always works!!! :tongue-out3:
Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Again Folks,

I forgot to add, that this being a half scratch project, one needs the proper tools to accomplish this task. The basics,

IMG_2216.JPG

The heavy guns and etch set to make the spoked wheels,

IMG_2217.JPG

I have to make the tires for the etch from scratch, hence the circle cutter and the chopper is to cut the dang doors square. Lastly, the most important item for this build,

IMG_0286 (3).JPG

See you on the other side................

Prost
Allen

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its great to see something different from the norm Allen. You certainly have your work cut out with this project. Looking forward to it immensely. Good luck my friend

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thank you all for your interest in my madness,

Rick, Gotta use what I know for measuring buddy! Oh and we only do half liters here.......

Jim, I am definitely going to get it right this time....I hope......

Richard, What you said my friend and nice to have you along for the ride.......

Stevie, I tried this a year ago and will do some comparisons to show the errors of my ways form them, along the way......

Bob, Nah Sir, only used In excess moderation to calm the nerves while building it......

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Buddy,

I got them at the ready for next week. Hope you guys are well in Ohio and will drop a note to you tomorrow Paul......

Prost
Allen

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Allen. Very interested how this goes I might try one of these in 1/48 scale. To me they look similar to Circus Wagons which I’ve build several and easy to get parts for.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Late in sorry been scribing bricks !
I shall take a seat near the front Dude1.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ah! The Das Werke tonic does work doesn't it and you can't have too many scalpels can you, Allen. Chances of a bleeder is imminent. I'll be the one sitting with the raincoat expecting squirts of red liquid. This is going to be an epic scratch.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
1604335493884.png
This should do Richard. :nerd:
Ah! The Das Werke tonic does work doesn't it and you can't have too many scalpels can you, Allen. Chances of a bleeder is imminent. I'll be the one sitting with the raincoat expecting squirts of red liquid. This is going to be an epic scratch.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Are you telling me Allen is not to be trusted with "SHARP" objects?? I had no idea the man was a menace to himself......perhaps instead of first aid supplies we should all chip in and buy him a supply of "rubber" scalpel blades!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::rolling::thumb2:
Rick H.