Almost Completed Tank

T

The Dweller

Good morning all

Right i am having an issue with making a tank look like its been used and abused on the battle field, now the image below ISNT mine but the markings on the dozer blade is the effect i am trying to replicatge, but i dont know what colours or the technique to accomplish it if anyone can give me a few pointers i would be eternally grateful

This IS a Vindicator tho, and its what i am trying to finish off, so with the picture below you'll get a better feel for how i am trying to get my model :0}

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good way of getting that effect is if you have already painted it blue get a bit of sponge dip it into the paint ( dark earth for mud or something like panza grey ) then gently dab it on the model until you get the effect your looking for. try it on a bit of card/plastic first to see how it turns out also try different colours hope this helps

T

The Dweller

Thank you i will give it a go, i am glad that i managed to find that picture, as a picture conveys a thousand words :smiling3:

P

phalinmegob

a method that works well is to use a toothbrush, dip it in your paint and then flick the paint from the brush to your model in the desired area. this will give the effect of spatter. could also make a paste up of the required coulour paints and a bit of bicarbonate of soda to give some depth to the mud spatter. also remember that quite often the mud spatter higher up on the veichle may be dried on and thus a little lighter in colour than the fresh mud lower down so use a few different browns for a bit of variety as well as adding a little bit of green stuff to simulate pulled up or torn vegetation but dont go overboard with that.

T

The Dweller

Lovely thank you for the advice, i will definitely bear that in mind, once i have completely finished the tank i will post the pictures :smiling3:

A

andygh

The weathering on that tank is fairly basic, the two suggestions above are spot-on for something like that

T

The Dweller

\ said:
The weathering on that tank is fairly basic, the two suggestions above are spot-on for something like that
I have had my Air brush for about a week now, and have never painted a vehicle before, so its all new for me :o } but the advice i have been given is superb and i will certainly try it out

thank you again all for your help

A

andygh

A bit of pencil graphite rubbed into the edges will work wonders and bring it alive, it gives it a metallic effect and it's so easy to do