Alpine 1/16 4th Armoured Division Tanker

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7855.JPG

I thought I'd better keep my hand in at 1/16, so my next is this Alpine offering - a tanker of the US 4th Armoured Division ''First in Bastogne.''

The usual high-quality offering from Taesung Harmms:

100_7854.JPG

Two heads are supplied, both the spitting image of Will Young; I think I'll go for the one wearing goggles. He's equipped with an M3 'Grease Gun' and a nice touch is the iron cross fixed to the holster. Not being a Neil or Jason, I'm not sure if I'll go for the same complicated pattern on the scarf, but we'll see.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Oh go on, you know you need to do a nice home knitted scarf for him.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
...........Not being a Neil or Jason,

You are kidding Peter? :smiling5: :flushed:
I'm incredibly flattered to be included in the same sentence as Jason, but I don't think I'm anywhere near yet.
The scarf is surely not so different from all the camo you do?
It's a very good sculpt, by the way,I might have to look into getting some of Tae Sung's stuff.
looking forward to this

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Please stick a reserve label on my chair Peter. I will pop back when you are good to go :thumb2: :cool:

D

Deleted member 6559

Will do Steve - a golden nameplate no less.

I decided to have another crack at this one. I tried the second kit head, with the same results - I've always found the extra-fine detail on Alpine faces a challenge and they certainly defeated me this time.

So, to the spares box:

100_7891.JPG100_7892.JPG100_7893.JPG

This is a Dragon head which has got me out of trouble more than once, and I've coupled it with a Verlinden helmet. I actually think I prefer it, as he has more of the battle-hardened veteran look. I did paint the pattern on the scarf, but I felt I hadn't done it well enough, and rather than compromise the thing overall, I painted it out.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I do agree with the choice of head.
I know there were young kids who faked their ages, but it did look a bit too babyish.
And I like him looking the other way too
great start :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Neil. Yes, the kit heads were just a bit too young for my taste as well.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Back to the craggy, rough, war weary heads, your forte, without doubt.

Just a thought, have you considered using the Alpine heads as alternative female heads?

And apply your female palette to them?

You do have an "eye" for the more delicate complexion as your last piece proved very well.

Its raining here, again!

Looks like the garage for me today, as I have a cat house to build, but weather proofing paint first, in the British climate!

I'll probably be fettling a dubious origin bust of a vampire this weekend.

I have lost the paint bug and need to do some ""building" to get back into the groove.

Looks like a khaki/drab day for you too, both weather and paint both!

Have a good day with the drapery

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve, from a wet and windy Kent.

The problem for me with Alpine heads is that I can't get to grips with the delicate features, particularly the eyes, which are always quite small. I would have loved to have used the kit heads, but I just couldn't paint them, and never will be able to, male or female.

Anyway, on to the drapery, and this is where we are as of lunchtime:

100_7895.JPG

The jacket is a combination of Vallejo Camouflage Olive and Medium Olive, and the overalls have been started with Russian Uniform. Still the back to do yet and a lot of tidying up.

Have a productive day in the garage. The vampire sounds interesting...

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A real masterclass in drapery and colour, superb, and 1:16 too, not a 1:10 bust size!

I have to agree about Alpine, I have tried several 1:35 heads and find them so ""smooth"" unlike Hornet, and my blending skills are just not up to it!

The Vampire is an alternative to try and kick start my head painting as it would not be the "standard" colour palette.

A 3rd coat of paint was put on the new cat house this morning in the garage, next will be insulation then construction.

Looks like you will have another full day of drapery ahead.

Enjoy the day and the slightly better weather, though its just started raining again here!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Morning. It's taken a bit of time to get back into the smaller scale, but I am really enjoying it. Alpine sculpts are superb of course, and there is a lot of lovely detail to pick out on this one. Sounds like the lucky cat is going to be very comfortable, what with the insulation and all - I have fond memories of my Grandad's old cat and her kennel.

Greg - Glad you like this one. I'm trying to vary the OD to get a bit of interesting colour going. I don't get Charles Bronson, but he does remind me of someone :thinking:.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
This is Charles Bronson in the movie ( very bed one) battle of the Bulge...bataille-des-ardennes-1965-charles-bronson-bobl-001-bkcfaj.jpg