NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Looking great so far Peter.
Nick T.

First Name
Stuart
Great work Peter - you've definitely gone to a higher level with your figure painting
Stu

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh wow, that is perfection my friend.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work. The Zenithal lighting is working a treat.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ditto. Nice to see you having a crack at the lighting work. Lovely to see

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in chaps and thanks for your encouraging words - greatly appreciated. Still trying to hold my nerve re the lighting, though he does look better in daylight (artificial lamplight is a killer).

On to the equipment today, and I've dug out some extras from the spare box - entrenching tool, flashlight, bayonet and grenades,

D

Deleted member 6559

We're getting there:

100_8100.JPG100_8101.JPG100_8102.JPG

Most of the equipment is now painted and attached, The Alpine parts have very fine detail which is really hard to get at, so each item is a real slog. Extra to the kit are the Dragon spade and Verlinden bayonet.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning, Afternoon Peter

The laptop doesn't like working weekends and had a protest this morning!!!

Great work on the Mac, the contract and shading are so realistic.

He really looks like he has slept in that coat and is following Fury into battle.

Work was busy and brief, just the laptop needing an additional rest!!

Looks like you should be close to finished by now.

Its awful weather and the Bank holiday looming

Hope it was a good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Sorry to hear that the laptop is playing up - hope it's sorted. I think we must have been typing at the same time as I posted the update seconds before you appeared. One more day should see this one finished.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
This really is rather awesome, Peter!
And rather you than me for the zenithal lighting :flushed:
I can't see myself trying that ever

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Neil. I was introduced to the word 'zenithal' a few ears ago by someone on another site who mentioned it to me as a way of improving my work. He knew full well that I wouldn't have a clue what he was talking about, rather using it as a stick to beat me with (he always gave me a hard time). However, I read up about zenithal lighting and have tried since to be at least aware of where the light is coming from when painting a figure. Some exponents go to extremes, depicting lamplight etc.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
It just keeps getting better.
The detailing is brutal even on my mobile.
The laptop is getting a lie in.
I shall be chasing work for the one they ordered me 10 weeks ago!!
Enjoy finishing up and choosing the next victim.
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I must admit that my eyes have taken a bit of a punishing with this one. My urge is to carry on with another 1/16 subject, but I think, for the sake of my eyesight, that I'll work on a some busts next.

Work laptops. A subject dear to our heart in this household after Katherine's constant struggles with the NHS cloud and attempts to work from home. Good luck!

D

Deleted member 6559

One US Infantry NCO:

100_8104.JPG100_8105.JPG100_8106.JPG100_8107.JPG100_8108.JPG

The first thing I did today was to soften the shading of the raincoat across the chest and down the left arm, areas that had been really niggling me, and which I now feel look much better. Then it was on to painting and fitting the gun/hands, which went OK, though I had to remove the revolver ammo pouch in order to get it into position. A new sight was provided for the gun with a bit of Trumpeter PE for a Soviet PPsH. I then added some more extras, the Verlinden flashlight and grenades, and finally steam-bent and fitted the gun sling. The base is an old one which I refurbished with gamer's grass.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Now you're getting the hang of Zenithal painting (I've only done zenithal priming on wargames figures so far, but the effect gets lost.) will you be wowing us with some OSL? (Something I have never tried.)

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Karl. Had to look up OSL (Object Sourced Lighting folks) and not being a masochist, I won't be trying that anytime soon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I bet you could nail it if you tried......would need the right subject though....

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The texture work is brilliant Peter. Absolutely amazing. Are you sure you haven't just taken a real waterproof and shrunk it to fit ?
John

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - I bet I never try!

John - Thank you. If only it were that easy eh?