Alterations and refurbishment to the Church in sleepy old Dapol.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The Cotswold village of Dapol has finally received money from the Lottery to start much needed work on their old church.

The village took delivery of the flat pack church last week.
P1280167.JPG

P1280172.JPG

Should be fun, and for me, a further break from things designed to kill human beings...

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You’ll have fun with this, I did with mine! I thought the parts were great for something that is over sixty years old.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

Out of interest how big is it actually? What are the actual dimensions? Of course I've seen the scale scale but I'm curious as to the actual size.

ATB

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps, nice to have you along.

Tim, you are quite right. A bit of a dry run and I agree. Very nice, crisp detail and the main parts fit together well.

Andrew. Sorry, I meant to put summat with the sprues as a size comparison. Completed it's approx. 8"X 3" and 4" to the top of the bell tower.

Ian. The villagers have asked me to pass on their thanks to you for your Lotto money.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks chaps, nice to have you along.

Tim, you are quite right. A bit of a dry run and I agree. Very nice, crisp detail and the main parts fit together well.

Andrew. Sorry, I meant to put summat with the sprues as a size comparison. Completed it's approx. 8"X 3" and 4" to the top of the bell tower.

Ian. The villagers have asked me to pass on their thanks to you for your Lotto money.
Thanks Ron. Always on the lookout for buildings for the little battles junior and I have!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm glad my Lotto ticket money went too a good cause, looking forward to the build Ron.

It'd be nice to win a bit of Lotto money - any amount will do just to prove my tickets are actually entered into the draw! I buy 4 tickets every week and I've not had more than one number on any of them for nearly three months!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andrew
it is fine for 20mm scale games, but too small for 28mm.....I would guess it’s actual scale as railway scale HO or 3.5mm/foot.

Dave, you’d be better putting it into Premium bonds....

Sorry about the diversions Ron.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andrew. As an aside, here's my part done Dapol 'Detached house' I've had in a cupboard for ages. A nice model that will stand up to loads of abuse!
I don't know about gaming sizes, but the house is a strong construction and might be of some use to you and the lad.

P1280284.JPG

Tim. Divert away. It's fine by me.

Dave. Me and the bride did the Lottery once when it first come out. Haven't done it since. I know you 'Have to be in it to win it', but we have enjoyed spending the money we saved whilst we wander through our lives with our minds in neutral.
Re. Premium Bonds. Don't tell anyone, but we bought a small, modest new car a few years ago with one win. Since then we have a win of some sort virtually every month. We have been extraordinarily lucky. Almost anything is better than money in the b****y bank!

Now back to topic. ;)

It's still raining! So a'building I can go. The main walls glued together. Cracking first time fit. I just removed the sprue 'snots'
P1280173.JPG
There are no window frames for the openings. However, all is not lost as I have a Baldrick 'Cunning Plan', so first modification coming up.......

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got some. Can't win on those either!:sleeping2:

When my mother died some years ago I discovered that I was the proud owner of twenty five Premium Bonds. My grandparents had bought me five on each of my first five birthdays. That was quite a substantial investment at the time as they were not particularly well off.

That means that they have all been 'in the draw' for the best part of sixty years and I bet you can guess what they have won. Yep, you got it, £0.00.

Apologies for the diversion

Jacques Bertillon.

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron, Tim

Thanks for the info. my son and I game in 20mm, so these would be fine! If they turn out to be a bit short then I can claim that the inhabitants of the particular hamlet we're battling over were of unusually diminished stature!

Ron - that really does look rather good. I've found some online for less the £8.....;)

ATB

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cracking first time fit. I just removed the sprue 'snots'

That's a new technical term for me, and one I shall use henceforth. It describes precisely what we have to deal with.

Nice looking little church, I shall look forward to the realisation of you cunning plan. I'm sure it will be better than sticking pencils up your nose and saying 'wibble' :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening to you 570 and the current Mrs Ron .

Snots, lovely building word . Brickies and snots, just goes together like cream and scones
Yours 570 .
Oh I shall tag along if I may .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And what of Mr. Kando and Mr. Effemup? Will they be along to take part in this construction project? I'm a bit late on this one but the scale is absolutely perfect..........couldn't have made a better choice meself! :tongue-out2: I'll sit in the back with JR to stop him drooling......yours, 358

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Liven up at the back 453, I'm 570! You are not 570, you are 453. Isn't that right 358?

The church flat pack doesn't contain any windows. The cheapskate manufacturer just included a piece of clear plastic. Not good enough.

I contacted my old builder friend Idu Chucumupp.
"Hey, Mr. Ron, you ouwd spook. It am been a laang time since we am speekin' togedder!

I informed him of my 'Window Problem'
"No problem, man. Leeb eet wid me."

True to his word, Idu sent his friend Ben Deeled n'glaiseet. He arrived in Dapol and went straight to work on the church windows.

He did a great job. All he wanted for payment were his expenses, his keep, and as much "Kentooky fryd chicon as am goin' to eot" I did explain that there were other fast food outlets.

First he made the lead 'squares'.
P1280175.JPG

P1280186.JPG
P1280184.JPG

P1280190.JPG

"Man, I is ober de mooan wid dem windos."

That is all he said to me before he quietly departed.

Back to reality.
After giving the plastic stone work an initial coat of paint, I scribed the lines on the supplied clear sheet, then stuck them 'crossways' to the inside of the window openings.
Then, with a cocktail stick I painted on the various colours. I must confess to be well happy with the resulting 'Stained glass look'

Cheers all and thanks for taking the time to have a blimp.

Bless you all.
Father MacKenzie