Altores Studio 1/9 African Queen Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7047.JPG

I wasn't sure where to put this quickie, so I've decided she's a fantasy African queen. Having used and painted the other two busts in the set, I decided that this one was good enough to stand alone, with no extras, and anyway, I regard it as just another painting exercise:

100_7276.JPG100_7277.JPG100_7278.JPG

I wanted a warm, coppery skin colour, so I used Vallejo Red Leather, together with Flat Earth and Saddle Brown. The shadows were deepened with Camo Black Brown and highlights created by adding a little Flat Flesh to the Red Leather.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

Another very nice painting study. Could I be so bold, since this is a study, to suggest that you try to work some Ultramarine blue or purple into the shadows since these are colours that often enliven these dark skin tones.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job, lovely skin tones, and like the rest I though of C S Forester’s second favourite character ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Going off topic a little but thinking of you post ...
Wouldn't that make a great model though?
I know you have done three characters from Kellys Heroes and I've seen a John Wayne and a few others but are there many busts/figures of film stars that you know of?
Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter if I fine a seat I will get settled in

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Blink and Peters painted 2.I cant keep up with the painting machine.Great stuff mate.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Ralph and Tim.

Lee - Already done!

Richard - Many thanks.

Jim - There are a few. A quick search on Historex Agents and they have busts of: Jude Law, James Coburn, Arnie, De Nero, Laurel and Hardy, Marilyn Monroe, JFK, Grace Kelly, Eric Bana, Charles Dance in Game of Thrones and three other characters, Mel Gibson (x2), Brad Pitt (x3), Yul Brynner, Colin Farrell, Sean Connery (x3), Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe (x3) and Damian Lewis. They're nearly all depicted in military of fantasy film and TV roles. There are more on other sites, but nothing as interesting as Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Stan and Babe in black and white would be a challenge for you Peter.....surprised there is no Bogy as Rick in Casablanca though.....or Henry Jones Junior come to that....

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - I have seen a 1/10 Bogart Casablanca bust, but no Indie, though I suppose there are tons of toy figures available.

Just given the gal above a coat of satin varnish and the flesh has come to life, though it probably wouldn't show in new photos.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Indiana Jones

Rats, I too thought it was going to be Bogart - classic film

There is a kit of the actual African Queen by Billings Boats

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

As an exercise in painting its an A* and well done too, stay at the top of the class.

I knew what I would see as I was expecting the title, unlike some of the others!

I have seen the Laurel and Hardy busts done in monochrome and they look so different and so good.

As for the others you have listed, it all depends on the sculpt, sadly if they don't favour the person they depict, it always seems to get placed at the painters doorstep!

I guess it puts so many off,

Peter
Another very nice painting study. Could I be so bold, since this is a study, to suggest that you try to work some Ultramarine blue or purple into the shadows since these are colours that often enliven these dark skin tones.
John

I think John would be correct with a much blacker Central African skin tone, she is too light I think for it to work.

I have seen the purple highlights for real, when I was first diagnosed with ITP, the Dr, was jet black and he has purple highlights where the sun caught his cheek bones, lovely chap too, great bed side manner.

Perhaps a monochrome bust might be a project for another day.

Super finish an your African Queen, she certainly looks the part

Have a good day with your next victim

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Simon - Sorry, hope I didn't disappoint too much.

Steve - Glad you like her. I agree re John's point - it's one he often makes when I do dark skin, but as you say, purple only really works with very dark tones. I once had a Mauritian girlfriend who was this colour....

As for the film stars, it's pretty much as you'd expect - Gladiator, Troy, Game of Thrones etc, so you'd really have to be interested in the films to want to paint them. I've seen the Laurel and Hardy too, I believe in an MM Euro special, and they looked superb.

D

Deleted member 6559

I gave her a coat of satin varnish last night, and I think it's really helped deepen and enliven the skin tones:

100_7280.JPG100_7281.JPG100_7282.JPG

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Loverly painting - all the more impressive since such a simple bust give no place to 'hide' and blemishes.

peter