Am I ageing WW2 vehicles too much?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
MOD vehicles routinely are touched up, rust treatment etc. They are working vehicles, not rust buckets, this applies to all armies.

However, major conflicts like WWII meant that vehicles lived outside in all weather for months at at time.

It depends on what you are working on.

Los is correct on one thing, build for you, it is your model and you paint, weather and display how you want.

There are modellers of all types, purist to slap it on with roller, enjoy it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As the man said Jakko, Reference pictures say it all....I have pored over thousands of pictures of East front vehicles in various stages of disrepair, damage and just purely run down for lack of care and maintenance. not to mention the beatings they took on the Pasputitsa. I'm not saying they were "rust buckets" but as the war progressed and the losing side had to make do with less and less I have seen the resulting weather and lack of proper maintenance on the increase to the point of wondering how the damn things even ran.........just some observations over a second cuppa. ;) Rick H.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
I’m not so sure. Those vehicles are typically in use for years with little or no maintenance to the paintwork, whereas military vehicles in most armies do tend to get touched up when the paintwork starts to show wear. Plus, if you’re talking Second World War, then most vehicles would be at most a couple of years old, and in active theatres a lot would never reach anywhere near that age before being destroyed or captured.
I said 'many clear modern pics of these types of vehicles' what I meant to say is modern machinery so yeah, like you say; stuff that hasnt been around for years

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
once posted on social media or on a modelling forum you are opening yourself up for critique and possible criticism.

Not on here Los. Instead you'll find that the majority give you positive encouragement for your builds. Further to that if you do indeed ask for critique, then it is offered in a positive and polite way also. That's how this forum has and always will be run/used.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Not on here Los. Instead you'll find that the majority give you positive encouragement for your builds. Further to that if you do indeed ask for critique, then it is offered in a positive and polite way also. that's how this forum has and always will be run/used.

Yep, spot on Alan, always been like this, in fact I am sure, that this is the mission statement of this forum. Always been like that, no heavy handed remarks, after all, they be pieces of plastic and it is a hobby, the main goal is yes, get better, but enjoy yourself-if not then what is the point of making stuff?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Russians in WWII used 60 days as armored design lifetimes whereas the Germans built for years. Thus German tanks cost four or more times as much as Russian & US armor. US paint specs. were & are very stringent.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Not on here Los. Instead you'll find that the majority give you positive encouragement for your builds. Further to that if you do indeed ask for critique, then it is offered in a positive and polite way also. That's how this forum has and always will be run/used.
Glad to hear.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just to make it clear I am not in favour of over weathering but here's another spanner thrown into the whole mix...what if it's a lucky tank that survives through the whole conflict from 1940 to 45. Even a year old modern construction site vehicle is pretty battered save for a water wash up of mud and grease for the running gear and it's straight to the next construction job. So, 5 years of attrition, bullet hits, fires, shell deflections, shrapnel, weather, terrain, infantry hobnailed boots, metal stowage like jerry cans and tools will create some sort of weathering. But of course not a junkyard relic. :smiling6: You can do that too if you like...your build.
I believe most Shermans were needed at the battlefronts and were fitted in the field as the column moved so repainting is least on the agenda, maintenance of the engine, gun and running gear would be priority. The Desert Rats went to Italy still in their African campaign colors complete with whatever sand skirts still attached. At some point they may have been hurriedly painted and wateproofed while deployed back to UK for the Overlord invasion. So if there is any sign of chipping you might see some desert scheme underneath I'm assuming or did they go the ETO still in their desert scheme? It all boils down to reference and of course how you want it to look and have fun with.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
At some point they may have been hurriedly painted and wateproofed while deployed back to UK for the Overlord invasion.
IIRC, only the men were redeployed, their vehicles etc. staying behind in the MTO. Once in the UK they were re-equipped with what was available there.

There are, though, pictures like this of American Sherman:

8bf60287-079d-4927-ba1c-685ab66b0bdc-jpeg.408740

This photo was taken on 1 February 1945, but that’s an M4A1 produced in about early to mid-1942, as evidenced by things like the early bogies that have the return roller on top, the lack of extra armour plates on the sides, no sandshield attachment strips either, the early M34 gun shield, and more. It had none of the later upgrades that were fitted to Shermans, not even ones that could be (and were) fitted in the field by maintenance workshops.

The explanation in this case is that the tank belongs to a unit that was deployed to Italy, then took part in the invasion of southern France in August 1944 and fought its way northward, eventually into Germany. Units in the UK, earmarked for the invasion of Normandy, got all the new kit and had their old kit updated to the latest standards; units in Italy got almost none of that and mostly had to make do with what they had arrived there with.

(Also see this thread :smiling3:)

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another old timer is parked behind it. Maybe part of an armored battalion HQ, note carbine (not M1 or Thompson) of well equipped (gloves & gollashes) GI not MP.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good eye Paul..... I'd venture to say he might be a clerk or some other admin. type.....note the eye glasses.