"Ambush in Grozny" - Winter GB

G

Greg147

Hi all,

Here's my stab at the winter GB. In the winter (coincidently) of 1994, the Russian Army entered Chechnya, attempting to cease the captial, Grozny. This attempt initially failed, and what followed were two months of bitter house-to-house fighting with Chechen soldiers. I'll be trying to depict a scene from this battle.

I'll be using two scales, 1/35 and 1/72 to create a forced perspective diorama. Essentially, I'll be building it in a converted shoe box, with one end open. The 1/35 sniper will be closest, and with any luck, the 1/72 tank and figures in the background will look a lot further away.

Anyway, the scene is that a team of Spetsnaz operators have spotted a armoured column in the process of being ambushed. A T-72 has been immobilised by RPGs, and Chechen fighters are storming in to finish off the survivors. The Spetsnaz sniper will be in the process of shooting a man off the turret of the tank. That's the plan, anyway.

I'll be using Zvezda Spetsnaz, Orion Chechens, and an ACE T-72. The last ACE kit I tried was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to finish it, but this was the only one I could find with ERA armor on, so we'll see how things go.

Wish me luck, a forced perspective diorama has many things that could go horribly wrong ;)

View attachment 38298

View attachment 38299

View attachment 38300

DSCF1356.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

DSCF1361.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like the sound of the forced perspective, great idea Greg, I'm sure you can pull it off...No pressure then?! lol

Good luck and post plenty of progress photos.

Cheers,

Ron

P

Polux

Hi Greg!

The perspective sounds dificult to do, but I sure you will go well with it!

All the best!

Polux

R

rogue-one

oooh, this sounds cracking. cant wait to check out the finished pics of this now. and we've only just started. lol

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comments, chaps. Don't get your hopes up too high, I've only worked out how I'm going to do about half of this. The rest I'll no doubt make up as I go along ;)

G

Greg147

Finally managed to get some work done on this, and finished the construction of the T72, minus painting and decals. As I feared, the kit wasn't exactly top quality, with pieces missing and dimensions wrong. I didn't want to paint and assemble parts seperately, like I normally do, because I couldn't predict if things would even fit or not (note the side skirts bulging out where not enough space has been given for the tracks). It will do as a knocked-out model, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buying ACE kits for a intact tank. That said, with the ERA plates all over it, it does at least look the part of a modern T72.

Painting will come next, and I've also started work on the shoe box I'll be using as a base.

View attachment 39096

View attachment 39097

View attachment 39098

DSCF1373.jpg

DSCF1374.jpg

DSCF1375.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I wouldn't worry yourself about the poor quality of the tank Greg...by the time it's painted up, weathered and in the diorama it will look just fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the perspective works out. It should look really effective when it's all come together.

Ron

P

Polux

Nice T-72 Greg!!

Luky with the shoe box!! I wish to see the result!!

Polux

G

Greg147

Disaster has struck, unfortunately. After setting down the street, pavements and groundwork for the buildings, I left the base to dry over night, unwillingly leaving the window next to it open. Needless to say, it rained, and come morning, the whole thing was beyond repair, mostly being made of cardboard.

I'm probably going to have to abandon my original plan, because redoing the whole thing would be less than enjoyable to say the least ;)

Fresh start, but I'm keeping the title and subject the same, because I've already bought the figures. The tank was undamaged, thankfully, so I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's hard luck Greg, but as Ian says, it will still be a cracker....So onwards and upwards old lad!

Cheers,

Ron

P

Polux

Hi Greg!!

It's a pitty read about your "disaster"!!!

I'm sure, like Ian and Ron, you will do a cracker dio again!!

Regards

Polux

R

rogue-one

ohhhh, horrible thing to happen! get right back on the horse.

G

Greg147

It's been awhile, but I have been making some advances with this one. As I said before, the forced perspective idea is out the window, along with the T-72 (not literally, I'll use that for another diorama some time). The design is now a lot simpler, due to the lack of time avaliable after loosing my progress. It's now fully in 1/35, with the four Spetsnatz operators taking cover behind a BMP-2 during the ambush. The sniper, directed by his commander, joins the BMP in firing on a distant Chechen-occupied building.

The sniper and commander are shown here, I haven't finished the other two yet. BMP is constructed but unpainted. The base isn't finished yet, it will have a few bits scattered around, but it's supposed to resemble the dirt-and-dust covered open areas you can see in many pictures of Grozny.

View attachment 41088

View attachment 41089

View attachment 41090

View attachment 41091

DSCF1405.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

DSCF1409.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking good Greg.

Sorry to hear about the problem with rain. These things are sent to try us.

But what you have started looks great.

Tony.