Amodel I-207

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The Blenheim is nearly finished, and the next GB hasn't started yet, so I looked around for a quick build... and found this
P1150716.JPG
Picked up for £4 at a show last year. Why choose this one? Well, it's small, with only 41 parts and a simple scheme, so it shouldn't take long (famous last words). It's just under 80 mm long with a wingspan of 96 mm, and yes, it is 1/72. Anyway, I haven't built a biplane for over half a century, and this one has no rigging.
Here's the sprues:
P1150718.JPG
There are two clear sprues, both with the same flash, with only one part eachP1150719.JPG
They seem to have used old engine oil as a mould release agent though
P1150720.JPG

And there's a bit of metal stuck in one of the fuselage halves
P1150722.JPG

But it has some nicely moulded detail
P1150721.JPGP1150723.JPG

The brown staining didn't wash off with water and detergent, or with IPA.
Better get on with it then.
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Obscure iron curtain subject , limited run kit , poor moulding , cheap - welcome to my world pete !! Ive built a few Amodel kits and its certainly a challenging build , every single piece needs cleaning up / fettling but with a bit of patience and a lot of sanding sticks and filler the end result can be a nice model of a rarely seen subject .

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
It definitely looks a challenge, but I’m sure you’ll transform it in to something to be proud of.
Will be keeping an eye on this.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Certainly not seen this before. Looks as if you have your work cut out but as Tony says ".... with a bit of patience and a lot of sanding sticks and filler the end result can be a nice model of a rarely seen subject ."
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks chaps. Did I say this was going to be quick? :disappointed2:
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Pete, does the bomb come with landing gear also?:smiling2: that baby is huge! It appears the manufacturer saw fit to include some flak damage as well. Lol. I hope this one goes well for you,
an interesting subject, for sure. Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

Good of them to supply all of that extra plastic around the parts. No doubt you'll need it later to fill the inevitable gaps.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pretty good performance, according to Wikipedia:
  • Maximum speed: 436 km/h (271 mph)
  • Range: 700 km (435 miles)
  • Service ceiling: 9,150 m (30,020 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 13.44 m/s (2,,646 ft/min)
Anyway, here's the results of a day's work:
P1150724.JPG
Thanks for watching!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A bit more done:
P1150735.JPGP1150736.JPG
Lots of filling to do. While the filler is drying I can start trying to make the lower wing fit the fuselage. There's a large tapered gap each side, and one wingtip sits higher than the other! Oh, the fun!
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Still and all, it is starting to take shape....the joys of modeling! Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Here for your amusement are the wing gaps:
P1150737.JPGP1150738.JPG
Difficult to see in the photos, but the gaps are both fairly narrow at the back, but at the front, one is about 2 mm wide, the other a bit less. The wing is just blu-tacked at the moment.
The instructions suggest fitting the undercarriage next, but it looks a bit fragile, and given the amount of filling and sanding those wing gaps will need, I think I'll fit the lower wing and maybe the tail next.
Thanks for watching,
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
You could try cutting a piece of sprue about 2 mm wider than the gap between the fuselage halves at the front Pete , if you wedge it in without glue and see if it spreads the front enough to minimise the gap with a dry fit , if not then you can always go back to plan A and fill it

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Good idea Tony, thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The wing gaps weren't as bad as I'd thought - I think the wing moved when I was measuring! Anyway, it's on and filled now. A big step underneath at the trailing edge, needing a fair bit sanding off the fuselage. Tail surfaces are fitted. Now I'm trying to work out how the undercarriage goes together.
Here's the instructions vague hints:
P1150741.JPG
Parts 36 and 37 fix to the sides of the bay, that's easy. 38 and 39 join together in a groove on the top of part 10, but 10 just seems to float in mid-air, there's nothing to join it to. It's as if theyve forgotten a part or two. :confused:
Pete

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
A conundrum indeed! The joys of short runs! It looks to me as though the only things it can sit to are the inside of the cowl at the front and the wings at the rear.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes Chris, I thought that, but it's about 5 - 6 mm too high I think.
Pete