AMT Ertl 1/25 1968 Ford Shelby GT-500 - 3rd (Nearly) Complete Model

C

Curtis

I bought this kit off my partners dad who had bought it online from America, and had took a couple of bits out of it for another model - the back of the alloys which connect the wheels to the chassis.

I found most of it fixed together quite nicely and easily, but there were several mistakes in the instructions which made it quite tricky in parts. You could follow one of three methods to make the model 1) Stock, 2) Custom and 3) Drag. I went for the custom method, and also used some of the spare parts out of the kit to put extra additions onto the car (such as high beam lights etc).

The mistakes in the instructions were that it would state a certain part number, and the number would be different on the sprue which at first caused quite some confusion! Also, some bits (such as parts of the engine), just would not fit together and needed quite a bit of scratching and modifying.

Anyway, here are the pictures of what I've completed so far, I still need to add the decals and also try to fit the wheels somehow! (If anyone has any ideas how I can fix them to the chassis it would be appreciated!)

View attachment 45736 View attachment 45735

View attachment 45731 View attachment 45732

View attachment 45733 View attachment 45734

All painted by hand, using humbrol and revell enamels

View attachment 48802

View attachment 48803

View attachment 48804

View attachment 48805

View attachment 48806

View attachment 48807

IMAG1339.jpg

IMAG1340.jpg

IMAG1342.jpg

IMAG1343.jpg

IMAG1344.jpg

IMAG1345.jpg

M

mobear

awesomely done curtis you`ve done a good hand paint job

mobear

C

Curtis

thanks!

I got myself a nice large soft brush from my model shop and it works wonders compared to what I did my first couple of models with! The silver stripe wasn't as good of a finish but I think that's due to the paint I was using , it seemed to dry very quick and develop a stringy effect if not brushed over quick enough :/ (revell 66 enamel)

First Name
Aaron
Wow thats done with a brush? Thats a wicked finish bro.

Lucky that you never need to buy an airbrush.

C

Curtis

Thanks a lot guys =D

I'm using the same paint for my next model which I've already started (vw beetle) so hopefully the finish on that will be just as good.

I managed to fix the two rear wheels to this model last night (heopfully they'll stay attached!), and I'm going to add decals today then attempt to attach the front wheels which are going to be more of a challenge by the looks of things..... any ideas?

C

Curtis

Quick update.....

Decals applied. One of the rear wheels which I fixed on yesterday has come off..... Really not having much luck with these wheels!

I was thinking I could have a look around see if I can get one of the stands they have in garages as if it is being worked on so I can get away with having the wheels off, or making something similar...

Anyway, heres a couple of updated pics.

View attachment 45831 View attachment 45832

Also going to re-paint part of the rear lights with tamiya clear red (when it arrives through the post).

View attachment 48892

View attachment 48893

IMAG1358.jpg

IMAG1359.jpg

Last edited:
D

Dour

Since the wheel arches cover the top of the wheels you could fix them in the arches with plastic offcuts or putty. The wheels won't turn but it should look just fine.

First Name
Aaron
Can the wheels be attached to a "rod" of sorts and the rod be inserted like a real axle?

C

Curtis

Dour, originally the kits built so the wheels arent covered by any of the wheel arch, but that's quite a good idea actually, I might have a go with that =) (Welcome to the forum by the way!)

Aaron - There is actually a metal rod for an axle that came as part of the kit but it's only just long enough to be able to fix to the original parts which I have missing (without cement).

I've managed to get both rear wheels secured now (I think!), its just the front ones that are going to be a problem!