AMT Piranha Spy Car

P

PWick

The kit.......................
1.JPG
The build starts........................
2.JPG

10.JPG

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Patrick,
Was this just a concept car or were production models build?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
where does the flux capacitor go?

nice to see something different

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Patrick. What a flashback from the old days this one is! Do you get the spy stuff with it too??? Great start and I haven't seen a Corvair engine for many, many years...

Paul, this was a car made for the TV series "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." in the late 60's. It was based on a Chevy Corvair chassis and was the outfitted with spy stuff similar to James Bond's Aston Martin DB5...

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Patrick. What a flashback from the old days this one is! Do you get the spy stuff with it too??? Great start and I haven't seen a Corvair engine for many, many years...

Paul, this was a car made for the TV series "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." in the late 60's. It was based on a Chevy Corvair chassis and was the outfitted with spy stuff similar to James Bond's Aston Martin DB5...

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen I remember watching that show but don't remember the car but at my age its hard to remember to put the underpants on first:tongue-out3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Patrick
Nice choice. This was indeed in some of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. episodes. I don't think that is mentioned on the recently released kits but it was on the original ones from way back.
Look forward to this.
Jim

P

PWick

Cheers guys. I watched all of the episodes but never saw this! Yes it has a few rockets etc.

P

PWick

When trying to add the wheels the front end collapsed due to very thing/flimsy parts and the rear suspension didn't line up straight. The axle was also too short. Now rebuilt using various extra bits of plastic to beef up both ends the wheels are on and all touching the ground together!
12.JPG

The next interesting bit is fitting the body top all round without wrecking the paint!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Patrick,

Sorry to hear you had such a hard fight with the wheels. I see the battle was won though and all 4 touch the ground. Have you thought about wide rubber bands to hold the body halves together when glued. Doesn't look like clamps would be much help. I wish you good luck Sir...

Prost
Allen

P

PWick

Cheers Allen. Yes I've thought of all manner of ways to clamp the body whilst the glue goes off. Clamps no odd shape, elastic bands possible, and Tamiya masking tape. But I'm worried as I've sprayed it in Plasti-Kote Chrome that bands or tape might take a bit of the paint off. So I've sprayed some sprue and taped it and banded it so, I'll see tomorrow if either method has taken any paint off, fingers crossed!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Patrick
Lower half looks good. I hope you find a way to stick the upper body. Could you protect the fragile paint with tissue or something?
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Patrick,

Sounds like a good plan and I hope that it does work and not bother the paint. This car is to cool to have a mishap now.

I happened to have found this in a box and I hope you don't mind me posting it here. Can't remember what happened to the kit though,
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG
And now the spy stuff...………………..
IMG_1613.JPG

Prost
Allen

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
P

PWick

Thanks guys. Yes they are the same instructions. I tried some Tamiya Masking Tape on a spare bit of chrome sprayed plastic and stuck to two halves together. There were some slight marks which I've polished out.....................
16.JPG
17.JPG
I just need to put a blob of chrome from my Molotow Chrome Pen on the gearstick ball, and look at the next worst thing, adding the glass and doors to the roof section!
I found this on the wibbly wobbly web to give me an idea of what is required!screen taped in.jpg
This shows just the front screen in!

P

PWick

All done. The drivers door and engine lid don't close tight as does the passenger door. The engine lid touches a turbo that is tight the top of the engine! The Windows/doors and top fit far better than I expected. The door installation is different in this kit than the above.
22.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG
27.JPG
30.JPG