An Ambush of Tiger Cubs

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have been thinking about "parking lots" for German vehicles to hide in during Jabo hours on the West Front. Metion of them in many books but little real info on construction. An idea I'm kicking around for a C Type Light Recon Company under shelter. Framework for camo netting would be of lighter pipes I think.
Proof of Concept.JPG
C Type Recon Company minus first platoon.
An Ambush of Tiger cubs.JPG
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like the idea Paul.
What a great group.:thumb2:
Dzhon.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks good PaulE just to inform you there are people waiting for Biscuits on my Panzer Kampfwagen build there getting a little roudy I told them you would show up soon

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you gents. On their way. Biscuits are for breakfast. I think you mean cookies. Have some "edible cookies" that'l calm them down. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks good Paul. The little guys blend right in with your gardening. What are you using for netting? Typically the Germans would cut brush and saplings to pile on vehicles this small. In your case it would look like someone clipped the hedge and hadn't gotten around to picking up the piles. Gotta go Lee's calling. Rick H.

Last edited:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick. Tulle, same stuff I used for HESCOs. Same stuff I use for cyclone fencing. Craft/fabric store staple in sheets or rolls of different colors & widths. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Proof of concept attempt. Bare netting. Now you seeum.
poc 1.JPG
Camo netting-first pass. Now you don't....Needs some additions on both sides to make them irregular. Maybe more dark green? The pc in foreground hangs down in front.
poc 2.JPG
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Paul,

would that really be practical? I reckon based on the vehicles that must be about 90ft x 30ft - it would have to be a heck of a structure with a lot of supporting steels to stop it collapsing under its own weight or blowing away :thinking:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
What an unusual idea Paul. Over here cookies are just bigger biscuits :smiling2::smiling2:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not really Simon, Lockeed factory & parking lot was entirely covered in WWII. Not much steel at all. The stuff is mostly air & pretty light. Looked like a field from the air. Photo for discussion purposes only. PaulE
wwii-lockheed-covered-in-netting-5.jpg

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Paul,

I wasn't really querying whether such a hide could be constructed but rather would it be practical for vehicles on the move

Look at all the supporting steel/woodwork in the photo - there is actually a fair bit in evidence

Would the troops really drag all those materials about and temporarily construct such a large and elaborate cover for a short period of use?

Not saying it didn't happen - never seen any pictures to prove/disprove - just seems unlikely to me

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks like it would work to me PaulE whip out your modelers license and keep working on this great dio.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Where is the armour gone ? Can't see anything now .:flushed:
Dzhon

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I agree Simon. These were not temporary structures. It was my understanding these were semi-permanent and set up using varying types of construction from simple open earthworks to tunnels in road cuts, for vehicle parks, munitions, rations & sundries' dumps. These were along pre-planned routes almost always near intersections. There is quite an archeological study of these in France & Germany where they are most commonly in forested areas. The one I depict is taking advantage of the topography to allow a larger convoy to lager up awaiting darkness for travel w/o interdiction by Allied fighterbombers. I'll attempt to relocate the study I've referred to. PaulE

PJR

First Name
Paul
Great idea I wonder if this is what Bayerlein did in June '44 when he kept his tracks away from the front? Again, can't get enough 250s..