An American Spy Ship?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a catch up on this one, and am left stunned by the intricacies. Just fantastic.....I would be scared to paint this in case I knock things off.....your work here is utterly spellbinding.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Neil, Rick, Paul, Ron, Tim and Christopher for the kind comments on the build so far even if it was a ditto :smiling2:

Tim, everyone has that fear and so do I. The TV like antenna was knocked off earlier and so I left it till I did most of the detail painting before a I stuck it back.

To get my mind off worrying about Simon, I got stuck into clearing up some of the stuff on my table and came across the resin motor launch that Greg had gotten while trying to put the boat together. I had forgotten he had passed it to me. At the time I thought it was over-scaled as he had mentioned it as well. Anyway here's a comparison between mine and the resin part...

G139.jpg

I fitted the boats on and painted the canvas covered railings white...

G140.jpg

Fitted the 50 cals and painted the conductors at the base of the antenna brown...

G141.jpg

There were only four of these 50 cals for protection. The lifeboat davits had a cable across which I made out of stretched sprue. The cable basically sags and sometimes sailors hang their washing on it. In this shot the canvas needs another round of white as I didn't quite reach to the bottom edge.

G142.jpg

Railings or the rear and the flagpole added.I think I might replace the flagpole kit part with something more to scale...looks quite thick.

G143.jpg

The air-con condenser unit coverings were painted in white. Overall I did my detail painting with Vallejo acrylics as they gave good coverage and easy to apply with a brush. I used a number 2 Round Aquafine Daler Rowney brush for this.

G144.jpg

The steps in the foreground needs replacing with new hand bars.

Thanks for looking in everyone. All these close ups are showing all the flaws which can't be seen from a safe distance. :flushed::smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
In that scale a safe distance would be........anything over six inches? :rolling: Beautiful work on this and you are right about the launch it would have been ginormous. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Rick, I totally forgot about the resin launch...it could have helped with the scratch building.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
IVE said it once an i'll say it again brilliant modeling an work
WELL DONE Richard
chris an no DITO tonight lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH very glad to hear that richard so you can now go full steam ahead then :thumb2: :smiling2:
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Full steam it is Christopher, I went to the timber shop to get new beading for the edge of the base. I'll be concentrating on the base while the coat of varnish on the Oxford sets before weathering.
I will show how with rudimentary equipment a respectable base can be made so watch for it later.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay, got my prehistoric tools out...not much of a woodworker but I try. I always find that a good base helps with the overall presentation of the finished product. It shows even in photography where a well placed backdrop doesn't disturb the focal point of the subject. I wished I could use marble for my bases but I wouldn't know how to cut them to the right size. I'd rather work the base to the proportions of the display than create a display to fit the base as composition and placement is key to the presentation.

Don't laugh but these are the tools minus the hacksaw which wasn't a good candidate for photography. :smiling6:

G145.jpg

As woodworking isn't my forte I normally paint my bases so instead of using wood glue I use Uhu and pinhead nails to fasten the beading to the sides. I've had this type of beading ever since my first dio so it's sort of my signature.

G146.jpg

Using the mitre box I hacksawed the beading after measuring the lengths needed for all four sides. I do this one at a time knowing that measurements can be off if the corners aren't exactly perfect.

G147.jpg

I do this on the floor squatting and at times sitting on my little stool like a local Chinese coolie...

G148.jpg

All the four sides tacked down and corners filed down...all it needs now is some putty to cover up joints and nail head holes and dents.

G149.jpg

My template from card as a guide and later a mask when I add plaster for the sea-scape.

G150.jpg

No shot of the putty process as it's the same as puttying aircraft seamlines. Just waiting for the putty to harden...actually not needed as I used two part putty that doesn't shrink and I can spray gloss black from a rattle can right away.

Next I will proceed to the sea-scape using plaster, white glue, acrylic paints and varnish. I'm torn between open ocean or the muddy Chao Phraya.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Quite simply stunning!!!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Andrew...I'm guessing its the ship you mean. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Andrew...I'm guessing its the ship you mean. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard
To be honest I meant the tools!

The way they are laid out really captures the imagination!!!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
To be honest I meant the tools!

The way they are laid out really captures the imagination!!!
Would you believe it, the hand held electric saw and clamps belong to my sister...she's into carpentry.

Looking forward to seeing this one in the "water" Richard. All heading in the right direction.
South by Sou'west...Aye Aye Sir.

Cheers,
Richard