An American Spy Ship?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I have paused on the stenciling until I get nice and calm. Meanwhile I remembered I got some artist gesso when I was in Sydney last year. Using a stiff brush I applied it on the seascape and built up some wakes. The Oxford wasn't a speedboat so as it chugged along it created a pattern that most slow sea vessels make...

G159.jpg

Still needs some white caps and froth...
G160.jpg

There are some gaps that I need to plug up but that will come when I am done with the ship code letters and weathering.

G161.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Stunning, quite simply stunning!

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard your ship is lookin very real an in this scale its wondrous that you have made it look so very well done an how big are the penant no.'s ? an the seascape is brillant to my knowelege i dont think ive ever done a seascape thought about it but thats as far as i got
chris

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
The waves are looking quite nice Richard and very natural too. Uhh, what's gesso??? Like when you don't know the answer, you make a gesso???

I cannot see how you are going to handle this baby to do the stenciling on her. I'd be scared to death of pieces flying off, especially after all your sweat and hard work Buddy.....Bon Chance........

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looking very good.
I cannot see how you are going to handle this baby to do the stenciling on her. I'd be scared to death of pieces flying off, especially after all your sweat and hard work Buddy.....Bon Chance........
I was thinking exactly the same.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Neil, Chris, Allen and Jim,

The penant nos. are about 3 to 4mm height. Gesso is some form of acrylic paste specially formulated for artists to spread onto their canvases to creat texture. They come either in opaque white or dry clear. Mine says dries clear but seems to leave white residue in the thicker applications which came out better than I expected.
I'll be propping up the Oxford on something I can hold onto. The mask will only be the size of the larger width of the Tamiya tape and I will airbrush very closely to lessen the bleed.
You guys spoke too soon...cats got into the room and knocked a few antennas down. Casualty very minimal, thank goodness. Got to put it higher up on the shelves when not working on it.

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

Great job on this micro boat. It will certainly look magnificent when complete. BTW The product you used for the wake is not Gesso but acrylic modeling paste. Gesso is an opaque chalky substance that dries almost like a thin coat of plaster. Anyway the stuff you are using looks better and gives a much wetter looking finish.

John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You certainly have a knack with the sea Richard, it looks perfect along with your reasons for showing the water like that.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

Great job on this micro boat. It will certainly look magnificent when complete. BTW The product you used for the wake is not Gesso but acrylic modeling paste. Gesso is an opaque chalky substance that dries almost like a thin coat of plaster. Anyway the stuff you are using looks better and gives a much wetter looking finish.

John
Hi John, thanks for the compliment...hope so when completed. I can recall in the old days when Gesso was just a chalky white paste, but when I found this on the shelf in Sydney I just had to buy it. I guess it's not the original Gesso formula. It's labeled as some kind of Gesso, perhaps a hybrid. :smiling2:

O3.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks fellas,

It's just creating texture and painting. The key is to decide on mood of the waves and weather. Higher waves would mean I would have to build up the keel and rest of the bottom of the ship as they would have been more exposed... something I wasn't prepared to do.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks fellas,

It's just creating texture and painting. The key is to decide on mood of the waves and weather. Higher waves would mean I would have to build up the keel and rest of the bottom of the ship as they would have been more exposed... something I wasn't prepared to do.

Cheers,
Richard
WELL Richard you do get calm sea's an i think what you have done is brilliant
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
WELL Richard you do get calm sea's an i think what you have done is brilliant
chris
Thanks Christopher, I'd like to do an angry sea dio in future for a sailing ship...perhaps not too angry but stirred up enough.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys, it's finally done...the stencils I mean. Took me an hour from cutting to masking and spraying.

G162.jpgG163.jpg

Not that great close up as I had to touch up but used the same Tamiya paints I sprayed instead of Vallejo which resulted in a build up of paint. Will sand when cured. Also will need my extra magnifier to touch up further. From a safe distance they look alright but if I can better it I will try.

G164.jpgG165.jpg

Cheers,
Richard