An American Spy Ship?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Rick, one of the reference pictures that helped with the build. I guess the pick-up truck was a souvenir from one of the many port calls. There is no hold to store it as everything below was modified for surveillance equipment and crew quarters. Yup what a place to park it...no room for a spin.:smiling5:

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yea you guys have some good peppers as i wondered what PaulE was on about an then you an Rick talkin about this truck so it really got me to have a real good close look for this truck an yea i now see it an yea Rich no room for a spin on the deck lol but now it makes sence to me what PaulE was on about but i never spotted it
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Christopher, I didn't post any picture earlier but mentioned the pick-up truck in the first post. Other references didn't show the pick-up so I guess it was dropped off. I was surprised when I saw it on the deck. I'm sure there's a story behind it if I ask Greg.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Christopher, I didn't post any picture earlier but mentioned the pick-up truck in the first post. Other references didn't show the pick-up so I guess it was dropped off. I was surprised when I saw it on the deck. I'm sure there's a story behind it if I ask Greg.

Cheers,
Richard
YEA Rich please do so about the truck
chris

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Richard, this is an incredible piece of modelling mastery. With the problems I am having in 1/350 scale I am even more impressed than I was before.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John, if you put your mind to it anything is possible. I believe in pacing myself at every stage of the build. Funny thing is had I taken some time and checked some boxes of Pit-Road kits I would have found 3 satellite dishes I could have used instead of scratching one. :smiling6:
Anyway it's been a learning curve scratching from photo references...very inaccurate and basically one step above gyzmology. :smiling2:
Glad you like it.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve, for the time being I've switched my concentration to the M-18 Hellcat...will be back to regular programming once I sort out the turret details.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'm back with the Oxford. Tried painting the name and code in the rear of the ship but it was too tiny and made a mess of it. I have a plan to correct it so will sand it off and re-do it. Here's the mess...

G190.jpg

Meanwhile letting that cure before sanding I did some initial rusting effects on the hull. This is a first pass and there will be stronger streaks near both the deck houses. You can appreciate the size of the model as there's a Vallejo type bottle in the background.

G191.jpgG192.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Honestly Richard on this model im lost for words that you have the potential an patience of a saint to build this as to be quite honest how small it is i would never try to build in this scale as toooooooooooo sssssssssmmmmmaaaaalllllll for me but you have manadged it all i can say i a VERY WELL DONE an ive enjoyed whatchin you build this ship WOW but i would never attempt it
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Christopher, I wouldn't either but I accepted the the proposal to build it and the references started presenting itself and the subject became interesting. Also the fact that it seemed doable so I went for it. So far the challenges been quite enjoyable. Don't what it be like when I have to finally send it away.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Christopher, I wouldn't either but I accepted the the proposal to build it and the references started presenting itself and the subject became interesting. Also the fact that it seemed doable so I went for it. So far the challenges been quite enjoyable. Don't what it be like when I have to finally send it away.

Cheers,
Richard
SO Richard what are you sending it to the chap who served on the real ship ?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
More fabulous work on show....the rust streaking really brings it to life.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
SO Richard what are you sending it to the chap who served on the real ship ?
Yes, Christopher. He's quite chuffed at the progress and remembering fond memories.

More fabulous work on show....the rust streaking really brings it to life.
Thanks Tim, I have to treat the weathering delicately to keep it to scale. As it is I need to wash that a little and add in finer streaks of grime from oil and grease stains. Then there is the rust from individual hull plates...that is something I need to experiment.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
It is very, very impressive work indeed. Interested in how you are going to cope with the name/code at this scale.
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I don't know Richard, but I can read the letters on the backside, "C T C !" and I'm blind as a bat......Great job on the rust too.....

Now tell us how you are going to send this puppy to your friend without it getting busted up in the post. I would think, glued to a base inside a showcase and wrapped in about 20 meters of bubble wrap, inside a box full of styrofoam popcorn. Don't forget to insure it through Lloyds of London for half a mil too!!! Should get there safe Buddy..................

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

That is very, very good indeed. A most excellent effort.

ATB

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
It is very, very impressive work indeed. Interested in how you are going to cope with the name/code at this scale.
Jim
Hi Jim, thanks. I think loads of sweat, a pinch of verbal abuse, dead tip of tongue and crossed eyes should suffice. :smiling5:

I don't know Richard, but I can read the letters on the backside, "C T C !" and I'm blind as a bat......Great job on the rust too.....

Now tell us how you are going to send this puppy to your friend without it getting busted up in the post. I would think, glued to a base inside a showcase and wrapped in about 20 meters of bubble wrap, inside a box full of styrofoam popcorn. Don't forget to insure it through Lloyds of London for half a mil too!!! Should get there safe Buddy..................

Prost
Allen
Allen, I didn't do too well with spelling in school and the results show. :rolling: The base and ship will be glued down with one ton glue and covered with clear perspex with a safe space all round the ship and antennas. Probably will put it in a box full of cotton fibre. Any amount of shaking won't dislodge any parts as they are securely fixed. Fingers crossed that even if it's upside down nothing happens. I hope the handlers don't think it's a cocktail shaker. :smiling5:

Richard

That is very, very good indeed. A most excellent effort.

ATB

Andrew
Thank you very much Andrew, glad you like it.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sad to see this one winding down Richard. You have done a remarkable job with this and I'm quite certain your friend will be well pleased. I think the rusty scuppers are just right and adds a lot of character to the build. Well done Sir. :thumb2: