An American Spy Ship?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim I mean Tim :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: anytime.

Thanks Rick Google help me on this and so did my Building Plastic Ship Models reference.

John, thanks and I know what you mean by the waves. As I see it's a slow ten knots...that's how fast Oxford could muster and the pattern created by the blunt bow hitting the waves. The waves are slightly choppy and not totally calm. Been studying a lot of wave patterns and they differ depending on the swells of the sea and direction of waves as well as the speed, shape of the bow and hull. It's not perfect but I'm lucky to get it this way as its my third seascape. Pretty touch and go. Thanks for your input though as its a base to start from and think about.

Christopher, appreciate your input too. Keeping things to scale isn't easy. My cousin who sailed high seas in his LNG vessel and I've been on it...the bridge was at least 30ft across and when he showed me pictures of it in a mild storm it looked tiny with waves twice the height of the ship.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Si and Tim kind of eye opening isn't it. I might just take another look at the waves.

Cheers,
Ruchard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Richard , if you start to 'Mess' with the waves, you might well ba**s it up!

Leave the excellent sea as it is. The ship is plodding along. Perhaps just mark things down for future reference?
YEA Richard 570 i think i right
Chris

You are clearly more expert than I am, and the hull design would certainly affect the wake. My point is purely aesthetic in that the waves that are on Richard's sea just look a little stiff to me. But as I say this doesn't detract from a great piece of modelling.

John
AN YEA John im no exspert far from it its just what ive read in books an you do have a point an thats the whole point of this foreum our opinions thats what makes this foreum so good as it would be a dull old world if we all aggree on everything
all best chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ron, Chris and Neil, no worries I'm in the midst of tackling the pesky little flags. When I'm through with them it'll be the most confusing message ever put up. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard
WELL done Richard for even tryin to make these signal flags in this scale wow an i have a signal flag chart some where if i come accross it i'll look your flags up on it an see what your signal means lol
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, here are the photos of the flag raising and extra rigging...

Try not to read what it says...I think there's a negative, ship is doing a zig zag, there's a zero and two, I'm reversing, let's talk and so on and so forth...:smiling6:

G203.jpg

Have put up two orange ornaments for Christmas and left a cut piece of rigging which hasn't been removed...where's the guy to clear the set before a photo session when you need one?

G204.jpg

From this angle I can see where John is coming from. Let's see if I can improve on it.

G205.jpg

Off to do the Hellcat while I ponder the waves.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
WELL done Richard for even tryin to make these signal flags in this scale wow an i have a signal flag chart some where if i come accross it i'll look your flags up on it an see what your signal means lol
chris
Just missed your post Christopher...don't be surprised if one reads I'm carrying hazardous material. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just missed your post Christopher...don't be surprised if one reads I'm carrying hazardous material. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard
OK Richard i wont bother to look up the meaning of your signal as what you say sounds about right lol
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Knock yourself out Christopher as some of the messages for the flags are not familiar with me. :smiling6:

Looked up my shelf and found I had a bottle of Deluxe Making Waves...and all this time I've been using Gesso. I think I bought the DMW two years ago and plumb forgot about it thinking I would use it some day. So will try something with it.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Andy, it'll be gone by January so only pictures to remind me of it.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Richard,

Absolutely outstanding work on those flags my friend!!! Doesn't matter what they stand for, your ability to paint them, at this scale, is unbelievable....

I agree with Ron about the waves, but it's your masterpiece Sir. Every time I look at the pics, I just can't fathom how you did all this in this 1/700 and all the ketchup blood, sweat and tears shed along the journey......

Truly excellent job Richard, but I do think you forgot to drill out the barrels on the .50 cal. MGs..............

Prost
Allen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard you asked me to post pics of signal flag well here they are what will go on my tiger IMG_5850.JPG but not all as there are so many different kinds but i think i can find the meaning of you signal on your mast an they go by their letters or NO.s prefix i think

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Richard from what i can see of your flags on the port side of your mast the top one blue an white cheqered is a NEGATIVE then the next long red an white is a outer marker pentant saying ANSWER then it looks to me white flag with a blue center is I AM OPERATEING ASTERN PROPULSION an then the yellow flag with the black dot IS I AM ALTERING MY COURSE TO PORT an then your bottom flag white with a red dot is NO.2 :poop: i think lol an on the starboard side of the mast cant find the white flag with a blue dot so onto the long yellow an red an is the letter 0 an the last flag is yellow an blue halves is I WISH TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU . hows that so its a right ole mish mash of signals but i take my hat off to you sir for havin a go at these signals as a lot of people have no idea what they mean an think they are bunnting lol BUT well done mate for havin a go :thinking:but on some i may have got wrong so really its pot luck
:thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :rolling:

chris the signal man

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Chris, yup that's about right on the messages...toldja I would be zig zagging and suddenly going astern. The flag with the blue square should be the reverse with a white center.

Anyway I did the final rigging for the telecommunication wires that run between the masts....I spotted a faint image of it in one of the photos. I'm not sure of the angle and where it attaches on both sides.

G206.jpgG207.jpgG208.jpgG209.jpg

Oops...just realised its supposed to be attached to the next yardarm...dammit. Needs a redo.:confounded:

Cheers,
Richard