An American Spy Ship?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Chris, slightly more than half an inch. Thank you kindly.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I was going to use the kit lifeboat davits when I noticed they looked different from the reference I had. I realised that with the refurbishing, the davits were replaced with the later types that had the boats ride down the rails when deployed.

These were provided in the kit which were the WW2 variant...

G40.jpg

To make the new davits I sandwiched plastic sheet, traced the shape with a pencil and cut them with jewelers saw...

G41.jpg

To keep the sheets together I bonded the unused section with CA, chucked it in a vise and proceeded with the sawing. I gave a bit of margin and thinned the edges individually.

G42.jpg

I shortened the them to fit the required height. Later it will be cleaned up with fine sanding paper.

G43.jpg

Here's a reference of what it should look like...The arms will be scratched in later with the boat.

G28.jpg

Good thing I got this out of the way as I was beating my brains out on how to fabricate those davits.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard yea clever idea thats how i made my hinge mountin for my hangar doors on tiger tape them altogeather an cut out an drill out the hinges holes an you have done a bueaty of a job well done as they are very tiny
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great scratchery Richard, if this gets any smaller we will all need large magnifying glasses.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Apologies for missing the start of this. This is quite some story and some outstanding work so far. Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Richard
You asked in my Bristol Fighter thread about my rigging? I assume this beauty is what you're asking about? Sorry It's taken me a while to get back to you

The nickel steel rod I use is from Albion Alloys - I think they do mail order but I get mine from Hannants
They come in six 305mm length pieces for a little over five pounds a tube
The main rigging on the Brisfit is 0.2mm - the control lines on the wings are 0.1mm, but that's a little too fiddly/flexible
The aerleron cables (someone will know what they're ACTUALLY called) are slightly thicker 0.3mm
I've also used 0.45 mm for 28mm vehicle aerials - don't think I've posted any of my radio-equipped tanks here yet
Albion Alloys also do micro tube, both in aluminium and brass...

Blimey. Do I sound like an advert for them?
Hope that's all of use

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I've also used 0.45 mm for 28mm vehicle aerials - don't think I've posted any of my radio-equipped tanks here yet
(STEVE THE DUCK QUOTE )
HI Chris are they R/C tanks ? if so start a thread so we can see them please
chris b

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
R/C 28mm ... Now THERE'S a thought...
Sorry, Christopher, what I MEANT was 'tanks equipped with radios', so just in-scale details...

Still, though, with the right equipment, you COULD r/c up one of the Tamiya 1/48 jobs...

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
R/C 28mm ... Now THERE'S a thought...
Sorry, Christopher, what I MEANT was 'tanks equipped with radios', so just in-scale details...

Still, though, with the right equipment, you COULD r/c up one of the Tamiya 1/48 jobs...
HI Chris well why dont you have a go at R/C a 1/48 or a bigger scale tank as TRICKEY 66 / Paul is building his R/C TANK an i know its been made to be R/C but you havin a go again would be somethin unusual an different just a thought
chris b

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks everyone for your kind comments, it's been enjoyable so far and sorry for the late reply...have been out and about.

Jim, when you're lazy as I am, you will try to lessen the repetitive time on certain scratch builds.
Christopher, yes same thing but in the opposite of scales...not exactly tiny though.
Scottie, better late than never. Would like to see you tackle a ship someday.
Chris, nobody does US spy ships either let alone Russian Spy Trawlers. Also thanks for the feedback on the rods. The ones I have are guitar strings at only 0.3mm. 0.1s would be ideal.
John, I'm going for an eye checkup soon if it gets smaller.
Andrew, no worries, glad you're here and get to read some history apart from the building.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Since the davits, I've only done this at the workbench last night...

The platform for the stairs down the back onto the old sky ventilator which now has the two A/C condensers.

G44.jpg

And started working on the main masts...

G46.jpg

Just got our 9th kitten courtesy of of a dumper...found him under my wife's car so took it for vaccinations and checkups.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard wow that great work could you put something nr it so we can see the size of that mast an is it made up of severall bits or cut out from one main bit of plasticard ? an 9th kitten good on you as we have a cat an she is good company for us an jen says could you pm us a pic of the kitten ?
chris b

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Some fine scratch work as always Richard. Keep it comin my friend

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys for the comments,

Christopher, forgot to take a picture with something for size reference and it's in several bits. Mikey will show himself soon.
Steve, having stomach cramps and don't know what's causing it, perhaps I should breath whenever I scratch the small stuff. :hungry:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I have done a bit in the past two days.with some corrections to the funnels and updated the mastwork...

G47.jpg

The mast is not stuck down yet for easy painting and I have yet to add the stairs to the platform just under it.

G48.jpg

Use
Used two thinner gauged copper wires for the funnel replacements.

G49.jpg

The mastwork from another angle.

G50.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Christopher, Oh I almost forgot...here is Mikey...

Cat1.jpgCat3.jpg

I can't understand why do people throw such a cute cat? He will have a companion as we have adopted a kitten from a shelter who had one eye removed in an operation because it got infected when they found it abandoned at the wet market. Chances are nobody would want him so we decided we'll take care of him. He'll be named Jack.

Cheers,
Richard

Cheers,
Richard

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Just caught up, some nice work.
Enjoy the kittens, cats are a pain in the arse but I wouldn't not have one......mine just cost me £200 getting teeth pulled, but it's made a big difference to him and his health.