An American Spy Ship?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
Nice of you and the good lady to take in the cats.
These stomach cramps, are you hunched up while modelling, I had the same thing, altered the night of the bench and now I'm .If not a check up mate !

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard yea John is right about the stomach cramps, are you hunched up while modelling, as i have had that while modeling so now i do a bit then strech upright or get up an have a walk around the room or see the doc an little mikey as you say how can anyone dump them i'll never know an jen was pleased to see him with a aw he's cute as we have a white cat called snowball an we would not want to lose her very good company an onto your ship this is just fantastic work what you have done an the mast well im lost for words i thought it was really hard makin up my tigers latce mast but in your size wow an

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard yea John is right about the stomach cramps, are you hunched up while modelling, as i have had that while modeling so now i do a bit then strech upright or get up an have a walk around the room or see the doc an little mikey as you say how can anyone dump them i'll never know an jen was pleased to see him with a aw he's cute as we have a white cat called snowball an we would not want to lose her very good company an onto your ship this is just fantastic work what you have done an the mast well im lost for words i thought it was really hard makin up my tigers latce mast in a lot bigger size but in your size wow an good on you for takin in jack
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Richard sorry about the two blogs above but my pc is actin up
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Karl, yes they are fun to play with and very mischevious.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John and Christopher, thanks. The seat is the correct level but I do tend to hunch and stop breathing when I'm at a critical point in the build. I did fall on my butt and doing so there was some evasive manouvers with the body to prevent the fall...I could have aggrevated my tummy muscles...can't say I have any so it feels like heartburn and back ache.
Perhaps a check up is in order and I don't need an eye check up since it was a double post Chris.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some fabulous scratch building going on here Richard!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Kitten is gorgeous. I am a dog person myself but have to admit that cats are very beautiful creatures. How anyone can mistreat any animal is beyond me - I would certainly make the punishment long and painful if I was in charge.
Ship is looking superb - almost there now by the look of things.
As for your aches and pains. If it doesn't improve within a reasonable time get it checked.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Amen. Went to the docs' w/mild chest pain & shortness of breath after mowing the lawn in 90+F heat & humidity. He ordered a zillion tests: magnetic, ultrasound, nuclear, and xray imaging before & after a stress test where I almost collapsed, only to find out I'm old. He mumbled something about mad dogs & Englishmen. Dam, thought I was still in my 50s. Don't know where the last 20+ years went.
PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Dave, Jim and Paul for dropping in and commenting, much appreciated.

Dave, I find that scratch building helps with my mojo.
Jim, I too love dogs more but SWMBO loves cats so....Ship still far to go yet and I do need an overhaul soon.
Paul, I know...it just suddenly creeps up on you doesn't it this old age thingy.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, here are some updates as for today...

A little chunky but passable...a little guess work on the bibs and bobs that stick out along the yard arms...

G51.jpg

PE railings were a head ache to to attach being the baseless versions from Eduard. The radar is bent railing from Tom's Modelworks.

G52.jpg

Yes the mast is quite rigid after the application of CA...

G53.jpgG54.jpg

With a little clean up and primer looks quite ok. Still preferred if it was all PE.

G57.jpg

I spent sometime scratching some ducts that protrude from the two corners of the front of the deck house. Also I worked on the derrick with parts from the kit. I also decided to cut a portion of the weather breakers as it seemed logical. The bridge looks messy but it's just the sanding.

G55.jpg
Primer smoothens everything out.

G56.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey thanks Scottie, you ought to try ships. With your PE mastery, I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm progressing to the next mast which is at the front with whip antennas sprouting from the top...

G58.jpg

It took awhile to get the pieces aligned then I'll paint it before adding the mesh. I'm going to cut out the smaller hexagon from a single piece next for a change to see if it's easier.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
The mast is great. I agree that a coat of primer evens things out but can also show up issues. 1/700 scale railings without a base rail are a nightmare. I tried with them once and ended up binning them.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, thanks regarding the masts. The primer did show up some little areas to clean up but I use the primer to even the surface tones. The Eduard railings were too soft...I prefer stiffer PE.

Here is more progress on the second mast...in my haste I glued the platforms to the pole before I had attached the mesh so it was quite fiddly to glue it down.

20200725_154518.jpg20200725_154348.jpg
More later once I cut the platform supports.

Cheers,
Ruchard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOVELY WORK Richard she's comin on great is she gonna be in a glass case or just left in the open as you have put a lot of work into this ship :thumb2:
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Christopher, she'll be in a glass case and seascape base being a waterline kit.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here are tonights progress on the second mast...

20200726_234236.jpg

I had to use stretched sprue for the finer rigging as the filament thread I tried didn't bend at the edges as I wanted.

20200726_234123.jpg20200726_234050.jpg
Now its the 12 antennas that's next for this mast on the platform. They will be stretched sprue I guess 'cos I don't have any stiff wire that's thin enough for the job. There will be two rows of thin cable supports for the 12 antennas where I'll have to use lycra rigging. Greg spoke so much about this weird mast looking like a porcupine on a stick.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, though I'm not looking forward to them antennas. :smiling2: I'm just hoping the stretched sprues keep straight.

Cheers,
Richard