An American Spy Ship?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John, this gives me encouragement to do the correction and work on the fourth mast. Its got christmas tree antennas and at least five teers of yard arms with two having railings to reach the antenna mounts.
The hard part are the four cable supports holding the mast up as I haven't figured out what to use as the anti conductor balls that run the length of each cable.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks John, this gives me encouragement to do the correction and work on the fourth mast. Its got christmas tree antennas and at least five teers of yard arms with two having railings to reach the antenna mounts.
The hard part are the four cable supports holding the mast up as I haven't figured out what to use as the anti conductor balls that run the length of each cable.

Cheers,
Richard
FANTASTIC Richard lovin it an i cant see anything wrong on them anntenas
chris

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil

Cheers,
Richard
I don't know how small they need to be,Richard, but what about something like fishing line sinkers?
s-l1600.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, Christopher and Neil,

On close inspection guys it looks quite crude and will need clean up. The lead sinkers are a good idea but I need them at least a quarter the size of the smallest in your picture Neil. It has given me an idea to use two part putty rolled to a ball and slicing them in the middle to take the filament.

Latest that I've done today is to add the ladders and steps here...

G75.jpg

The ladders aren't supposed to have handrails but I couldn't simulate that.

G76.jpg

Remind me not to use the Eduard PE railings as they are very soft and bend very easily making the rails look wobbly.

G77.jpg

That all for now. Stay safe.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right, Reminding you not to use the Eduard PE railings again.;)

Quite honesty Richard considering its in that scale I can't imagine how you could either improve or make the rails stronger, they'd end up being too thick.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
.... The lead sinkers are a good idea but I need them at least a quarter the size of the smallest in your picture Neil. It has given me an idea to use two part putty rolled to a ball and slicing them in the middle to take the filament.
if you use Duro or Magicsculp, it will be slightly flexible and should close up with CA like the lead balls

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for reminding me John but it's not the scale or thickness but the metal used feels like lead where else others are like copper or stainless steel which are a bit stiffer to use.

Yes Neil, I'll be using Magicsculp. On close ups they actually look more like huge ball chains for tensil strengthening and are slightly elongated which helps with the kneading as well.

I done a little more work on the canvas coverings and used a fine grinder to shape the surface. Will need some cleanup. Also I made some vents for the rear deckhouse...

G78.jpg

I think they need to be shortened and receive brackets attachments.

G79.jpg

On looking at the reference pictures, I will need to make some corrections to the aerial heights and make some additions and restructuring.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just saw your posting after replying Christopher...thanks.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, as mentioned I did some alterations after scrutinising some better images.
There's a different aerial on the forward large drum which looked like a TV aerial...so I cut down the aerial shorter and applied it.

20200806_181134.jpg

Then the previous rounded back platform was cut to a squarish configuration. Railings will be added...

20200806_181107.jpg

I shortened the vent and fitted it in its place. Looking at the reference there was another door hatch with a platform to reach it where else on the other side the door hatch was on the side of the boxlike structure.

20200806_181159.jpg
20200806_201335.jpg

Then I added the second deck supports using rods and stretched sprue. All it needs now are railings and stairs down the back plus the lifeboats and that should complete the main deckhouse.

20200806_181236.jpg

I'll be concentrating on the rear deckhouse detailing next and finally get onto the final mast.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, I have to stop running into new things discovered in the photos I have. You will know about this scale having worked on an aircraft carrier before. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I thought the dish wasn't complete as whatever was collected in the dish needed to be directed to a point hence this latest addition...

20200808_193730.jpg

This will teach me to check references again or have it printed out.
3 lengths of guitar wire and plastic rod did the trick.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just gets better with each posting Richard. Some fine detailed work and so small to work with .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
More fine examples of your scratch work Richard. A real joy to see

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen,

John, I need to get a local coin the size of the six pence to give the blokes here some idea of the small you're talking about.
Steve, so far it's been a joy for me too but it is taking me away from my Kure Harbour dio.

Today I did just this...

20200809_232555.jpg

Added a little more to the base of the waterline so that if the waves dips further down it won't show an empty spot.

20200809_232707.jpg
Also just do something different and take my mind off the mast task ahead.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Please do Richard, or put your metal rule down.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Please do Richard, or put your metal rule down.
YEA Richard please do as John has said an lay a metal ruler against it so we can see its small size to get a proper idea of what sizes you are workin on this is a fanstatic build but to small for the likes of me to build something like this id need a telescope to work on somethin like this an the poor old eyes oh dear

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok John and Chris, heres a shot with a 6 inch ruler...just knocked off one of the aerials :confounded:

20200811_162442.jpg
All that trash is from all the cuttings and that's my spool of invisible thread that's to be used on the third mast.
Now mucking about with the Eduard railings...pls don't remind me, I'm hating every mm of it. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard