An American Spy Ship?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I took time off to recieve Jack from the cat ophanage. The caretaker wanted to see if the environment was ok for Jack and gave us advice on how to get him used to the 9 other cats. In just one hour of hissing from the larger cats he was really at home.
Here he is with Mikey...his new friend.

IMG-20200728-WA0054.jpgIMG-20200728-WA0053.jpg

Cheers,
Richard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
To break the monotony of mast making I jumped at scratching the satellite dish. This famous dish made the first communication bounce off the moon with the words 'Test, test, test'. And Greg was there to witness it...a technician friend invited him to the Comm room to listen in.This made possible the launch of satellite comminication and later GPS that was to come.

20200728_150550.jpg

I shaped thick foil into the dish with the help of a circle template and and back of the paintbrush.

20200728_150640.jpg

Firmed up the rim with copper wire and cut frames for the back of the dish the snipped off the access into shape.

20200728_171932.jpg20200728_172753.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard that mast certainly looks fiddley an it must be a heck of a job to see it to build so take it easy on your eyes remember you only get one pair but you are doin a grand job as i dont think i could work on something this small very well done
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard AN JEN an I are glad there are poeple like you in the world Richard to take in JACK with only one eye an he a white one as well i'll show jen when she gets up as she has cancer an been resting as not feelin to good yesday but i hope she will feel better today an JACK just like our SNOWBALL as she has been a little bugger yesterday as she jumped up on the shelf over our tv an damaged one of my planes knocked off a missle but it will soon glue back on so no real harm done an glad JACK made a freind an very good of you to take him in wonderfull of you an your missus
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Christopher, it takes two hands to clap and I just agreed. He is quite lovable and behaves just like an ordinary cat except for the single vision.
Talking about vision...I had my two eyes nearly converging adding more gyzmos to the satellite dish...

20200729_214658.jpg
I think its done. Now on to the third mast.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Christopher, it takes two hands to clap and I just agreed. He is quite lovable and behaves just like an ordinary cat except for the single vision.
Talking about vision...I had my two eyes nearly converging adding more gyzmos to the satellite dish...

View attachment 394198

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard lovely work on that sat dish an how big is it i think about 1/2" accross am i right or is it smaller ? an regards JACK they say all white cats are deaf is JACK as our SNOWBALL isnt she is ok
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Christopher, it's smaller than that around a quarter of an inch across the dish.

The rest of the parts below were bibs and bobs of plastic to show gear and supports.

Didn't know about the deaf thingy...so far he comes when called or when I rattle the food container.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Christopher, it's smaller than that around a the dish.

The rest of the parts below were bibs and bobs of plastic to show gear and supports.

Didn't know about the deaf thingy...so far he comes when called or when I rattle the food container.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard im amazed at that dish bein only a quarter of an inch across fab work my freind on the detail an an regards Jack if he comes when you do that then he's ok dont really where that came from proberly an ole wives tale tale then as we have had two pure white cats SNOWY an now SNOWBALL an they BOTH OK
CHRIS

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard im amazed at that dish bein only a quarter of an inch across fab work my freind on the detail an an regards Jack if he comes when you do that then he's ok dont really where that came from proberly an ole wives tale tale then as we have had two pure white cats SNOWY an now SNOWBALL an they BOTH OK
CHRIS
HI Richard im amazed at that dish bein only a quarter of an inch across fab work my freind on the detail an IVE BEEN LOOKIN AT THE REAL SHIP ON YOUR FIRST PAGE AN I CANT SEE THAT DISH COULD YOU PUT A RING AROUND IT an regards Jack if he comes when you do that then he's ok dont really where that came from proberly an ole wives tale tale then as we have had two pure white cats SNOWY an now SNOWBALL an they BOTH OK
CHRIS

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Christopher, you'll see it in the second picture just behind the huge mast on top of the rear deckhouse. Its facing up pointing to the moon.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Christopher, you'll see it in the second picture just behind the huge mast on top of the rear deckhouse. Its facing up pointing to the moon.

Cheers,
Richard
yea gottcha now Richard i spy it ;):smiling:
chris

First Name
Wouter
wow, that is impressive scratchbuilding again Richard. And 9 kittycats...my dear, that's some number you got there ^^

Cheers

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

View attachment 394198

Cheers,
Richard
Bit like me then when I'm at the bench Richard:smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think the satellite dish is exceptional.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys, Chris, Wouter, Jim and John.
Yeah in that scale I can get away with not over detailing and basically just getting the rough shapes to look the part.
Anyway it was a holiday today and SWMBO decided to spring clean but I managed half an hour bench time so here's the third mast...I've given the second mast a rest for a while.

20200731_200434.jpg20200731_200403.jpg
I'll be using fine nylon for the 12 stretched antenna wire.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve and Wouter, I restarted on another nerve wreaking thingy...the second mast antennas. I keep making things difficult for myself. I should have drilled and attached the antennas before attaching the platform to the mast. So there were some mishaps along the way. I spent hours drilling and aligning the antennas only to yank the platform from the mast when I tried to trim the antennas. So now they look a bit wonky but will try straightening them later.

20200801_203239.jpg

Doesn't look too bad from a distance but will still make the correction.

20200801_203344.jpg

The third mast will be the next.

20200801_203132.jpg

The satellite after priming...not too bad too.

20200801_203203.jpg
The rear deckhouse looks bare without detail...that would be coming up next once I've cut all the little pieces.

Cheers,
Richard