An American Spy Ship?

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you back at the bench Richard. Nice update. I would stay away from the rigging for a while. Dont want you back in the hospital with a bust blood vessel :smiling2: ;) :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, just saw your post. Glad to be back and pacing myself so only did this today in between naps and doddelling around the house minding the cats...

G123.jpg

I just did the top platform on the mast as that was the easiest. Only needed to round the ends and drill the center to fit onto the mast. Blood levels stayed calm after this exercise. :hungry:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Richard for the sprue stretching info. I'll have a go tomorrow.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Richard for the sprue stretching info. I'll have a go tomorrow.
Jim
You're welcome Jim.

I snuck into the cave and did a little bench work again. This time it was to attach the yardarms. I cut the lengths in half and shaped the ends to fit the tube like mast with Tamiya thin cement and later secured it further with super glue or CA.

G124.jpg

No stress...just taking my time.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today's update on the mast...

Added the supports for the yardarms. Used guitar string for strength which meant cutting them in equal lengths wasn't easy.

G125.jpg

At the same time I attached ladders and added circular platforms to the second yardarm.

G126.jpg

On the reverse side two platforms one circular and the other square jutted out. Supports will be added for them. Bottom of the picture you will find a piece of the mesh for the fourth platform.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don't know how I missed this!!!! Just had a good read through and WOW just does not seem to accurately describe your efforts on this incredible build. A big "Tip 'O the Hat" to you Sir. I'm looking forward to the next update, Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Incredible skill and attention to detail. Very impressed.
Jim
Had a sprue stretching practice today. Did much better so thanks for your suggestions.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Fellas, there is a steady following for this odd looking ship. I have only seen one other build of this kind of ship of the Georgetown or the Liberty but in a larger scale.

Rick, glad you found it. It took me a year to decide to build it as the references were hard to find and there were no plans to follow...basically eyeballing and guesstimation. The first month of building was quite quick to my surprise but it got long in the tooth as the details crept in...doesn't help either when new references keep coming in or I hadn't noticed in the first place. Some info from the latest video answered a few questions and posed new ones like the placement of the special incinerator exhaust for burning secret documents...can't tell if it protrudes from the bridge roof or next to the ventilator port.
Jim, glad you had some success experimenting on the sprue stretching. The trick is to let the center core of the sprue to soften and that's when it droops down with gravity. After you have stretched it, let it hang vertically if you want straight stretches as it cools.
Chris, always appreciate your company in this build however I may be finishing mine long before yours...it should be done within the month.

I am pacing myself along with my recovery which makes for a less stressful build.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Fellas, there is a steady following for this odd looking ship. I have only seen one other build of this kind of ship of the Georgetown or the Liberty but in a larger scale.

Rick, glad you found it. It took me a year to decide to build it as the references were hard to find and there were no plans to follow...basically eyeballing and guesstimation. The first month of building was quite quick to my surprise but it got long in the tooth as the details crept in...doesn't help either when new references keep coming in or I hadn't noticed in the first place. Some info from the latest video answered a few questions and posed new ones like the placement of the special incinerator exhaust for burning secret documents...can't tell if it protrudes from the bridge roof or next to the ventilator port.
Jim, glad you had some success experimenting on the sprue stretching. The trick is to let the center core of the sprue to soften and that's when it droops down with gravity. After you have stretched it, let it hang vertically if you want straight stretches as it cools.
Chris, always appreciate your company in this build however I may be finishing mine long before yours...it should be done within the month.

I am pacing myself along with my recovery which makes for a less stressful build.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard yes your build will be finished way before mine but at the moment im having problems with that new R/C as i havnt powered it up yet but its turned everything i know about this subject on its head as its to do with the BEC (battery elimination circut ) as ive asked about 6 people what to do as the intuctions on this is confusein

an all 6 people have given me different answers so at the moment i dare'ent power it up in case its goes bang unless im worring over nothing an its a try it an see but the R/X is exspensive so its on hold until i can find out more info an i'll just carry on with tiger build but with a plastic kit you hav'nt got that worry have you but what you have made is fab an hope you feel better after your op
chris ps where did you get your ladders from ? as they must be very tiny ?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I don't envy you Chris especially with all that wiring...real nightmare. Hope you get the BEC sorted.
The ladders normally come with the railing set along with the stairs in one fret.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Just caught up with this. Simply stunning work!

ATB

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here are some updates on the mast...after a sinus attack, sneezing and dripping I forced this out first by making a drawn plan for the second last yard arm mesh...

20200918_231206.jpg

Pretty rough going...I had to tape down the mesh before gluing the railing. Should not have used the blade cutter to slice off the edges and should have used my sharp scissors.

20200917_185712.jpg

Railing and some detail...this took all day...

20200918_231053.jpg
So far so good...now to work on the christmas tree antennas for the bottom yardarm then I can prime and paint.

No building tomorrow as meeting with friends to discuss ship building and help some of the guys who have teething problems with their builds.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Here are some updates on the mast...after a sinus attack, sneezing and dripping I forced this out first by making a drawn plan for the second last yard arm mesh...

View attachment 398429

Pretty rough going...I had to tape down the mesh before gluing the railing. Should not have used the blade cutter to slice off the edges and should have used my sharp scissors.

View attachment 398430

Railing and some detail...this took all day...

View attachment 398431
So far so good...now to work on the christmas tree antennas for the bottom yardarm then I can prime and paint.

No building tomorrow as meeting with friends to discuss ship building and help some of the guys who have teething problems with their builds.

Cheers,
Richard
Genius, pure and simple.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you guys, glad you like it.

Just sneaked in extentions to the bottom yardarm and also added the searchlight to the rear platform...also the topmost mast with the aerial warning beacon.

20200919_010418.jpg
Night night catching some zzz's

Cheers,
Richard