An attempt at a small dio.

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Great.... I really like it....reminds me of the tales my Grandad used to tell... he was always getting into trouble for stealing a few drinks here and there!

Reactions: JR

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Thanks Jason - I don't know about drinking (sure he did) but my dad kept chickens at the forward airfields through Normandy.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great dio, Nick, tells the story perfectly.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great thats all t need ,well done

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Nick, nice little dio mate. Much has been said about adding grass-flock-etc, you can use pepper-never use salt, ruins your models as it attracts moisture, dust, ash, anything at all to create dirt etc, just do a blob of undiluted PVA and sprinkle on the blow off the excess, you don't have to use paint all the time.

I did I similar small dio (see pics) using coffee stirrers some small stones to create a spring and flock grass with the bristles from a paint brush for the longer grasses, Sometimes the simple and plain the dio the more it tells.

Do not be afraid to experiment with angles also as these can add a great dynamic to a piece.

Again, a nice piece with a story for the viewer.

Attachments

• A stroll in the meadow 1.jpg
    A stroll in the meadow 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 25
  • colour wash.JPG
    colour wash.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF1875.JPG
    DSCF1875.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF1882.JPG
    DSCF1882.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 24

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Thanks John, Monica and Si. I enjoyed doing the dio and have learnt things along the way. Si thanks for the tips/advice I will have a go with different things as you suggest and also different angles with the pictures. Your stroll in the meadow is very impressive. I especially like the tree and the ground work.
Thanks again all.
Nick T.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks John, Monica and Si. I enjoyed doing the dio and have learnt things along the way. Si thanks for the tips/advice I will have a go with different things as you suggest and also different angles with the pictures. Your stroll in the meadow is very impressive. I especially like the tree and the ground work.
Thanks again all.
Nick T.

No problems mate, modelling can take any direction from perfect to a pile of junk and you can do anything and add anything. Like I said your little dio looks superb and tells a story without fuss.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Cheers Peter - might get to be a quality modeller/painter like you one day.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Cheers Peter - might get to be a quality modeller/painter like you one day.

Nick, first rule of modelling-build for you, what you want, how you want. There are no rules, techniques and practice yes, but a model can be done in anyway you like. Don't set your skill levels high as they may not be reachable...yet, take your time and just keep making stuff and most of all, enjoy it, which I might add, you seem to do as this dio shows, the humour comes through and that is down to you thinking it out and having fun with the piece.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Wow - many thanks Si,
I am enjoying it at the moment and trying to learn as I go.
I still have a couple of models in the stash so just figuring out what to do next.
Nick T.

First Name
Kevin
Hi Nick I love your diorama. Unless you are grassing vast areas a static grass applicator is a must. But the best way to add static grass is pinch a clump in your fingers and add to neat PVA. Pat it and hey presto. 2 to 4mm static grass is ideal. ;)