An easy masking idea, maybe

B

bobnv

Some may be aware of this, others not. Hope this is the best place to post this, does involve painting so was my best shot. Is long so read at your own risk...............

One of my other interests is vinyl cutting and without a long explanation we use a transfer paper once the vinyl is cut to get it to where it will be permanently placed. The gears started grinding and I needed to spray an area on my build so decided to try something by using transfer film for masking. The nice thing about this stuff is that it makes a nice clean full contact cover that will protect an entire area. I used it in this manner a while back on a special project in a prevent forest fire campaign where I needed to avoid vinyl on vinyl so I wanted to just spray the background effect.
This might have a viable use for creating camo effects on planes ships tanks and if you want to disguise your wife. First off you need the film, readily available on Ammozoom and Ubuy, https:tongue-out3:/www.amazon.com/dp/B073XRLZ6Z?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 is one example. You should be able to get a 12" X 50' roll for under £16 which should last you the rest of your life. Comes in high tack or low tack the latter would probably be best for acrylics, lay out a piece on a glass cutting mat and cut out your design, reason for glass is that it will not diminish the strength of the adhesive, once your pattern is cut you can pull the mask off the glass and attach it to your model. Did a quick example after it worked well on my ship build.

This a piece of film which you can't see on my cutting board, the bright spots in the yellow circle are where my cutouts have been peeled up, bad reflections
P1030884.png
Here I have pulled the film off of the glass and placed it on a piece of cardboard
P1030887.JPG
Here are the cutouts sprayed with camo colors :tongue-out3:
P1030889.JPG
This is after the film is removed, granted there looks like some bleed, but keep in mind the is on a porous cardboard
P1030890.JPG

This method will work fine on flat surfaces, got to be a little cautious on curved , outside curve probably better than inside curve. If you are doing camo you can probably lay this out using a template.
Not sure how valuable this might be, just throwing it out.

Attachments

• P1030889.JPG
    P1030889.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030890.JPG
    P1030890.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 2

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks interesting Bob, at 72 If the role should last that long I could ask to be wrapped in it when I go :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

A great idea which has evolved even further, with some using CAD and cutters like the Silhouette Cameo to produce their own stencils for markings, camo patterns etc.

B

bobnv

B

bobnv

A great idea which has evolved even further, with some using CAD and cutters like the Silhouette Cameo to produce their own stencils for markings, camo patterns etc.
Have never tried cutting it with the vinyl cutter but might work sticking it down to a cutting mat which for the small cutter is a foot square and yes most cutting software will convert a dfx file with no problem. I do a lot of drawing with Corel and export it to a dfx and the cutter software traces it great. I could get a plug in for the cutter software that would read the Corel cdr file directly but I am too cheap when I can do it for free by just adding one step.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Used the frisket for airbrushing during my artschool days. Was skilled enough to cut the masking on the artwork without penetrating the artboard itself. Good for flat surfaces but never used it for modelling as the low tack works on vacumm principle so any bits creating bubbles will lift and create bleed. Still doable though.

Cheers,
Richard

B

bobnv

Here is what I was using it for. the leaf is vinyl and if I would have used vinyl for the orange and green'
I would have created a problem with the black bonding in the middle section so decided to use the film
as a mask and was able to spray each side then lay the vinyl. Nice smooth painted surface so got a nice
clean edge on the masking. And you are right, might be a little tricky on non flat surface.
firewise_logo_leaf_1.png

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Bob, it still has its uses and better than post it notes as you can easily adjust where to place seeing through the clearsheet. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard