An effort to regain some skills on wingy things

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Some pictures of the builds I made in the last few months to try to recover some skills in dealing with airplanes after 35 years away from sprues, glues and paints.
.IMG_6524.JPGIMG_6518.JPGIMG_1643.JPGIMG_1680.JPGIMG_1777r.JPGIMG_1835.JPGIMG_6085.JPGIMG_6512.JPGIMG_6518.JPG

The MC 202 and the EFA are 1/72 Italeri, the Tiffy is 1/72 Airfix, the Tempest is 1/72 Academy and the Sea Fury is 1/48 Trumpeter.
Sea Fury and MC202 are brush painted, while the others are airbrushed.
Comments and hints are welcome and no one will receive a glove as an answer ;).

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Dave, the space is becoming a problem. Anyway, I have in my stash the MC202 in 1/48... I think that that kit will allow me to test the airbrush version of the "smoke circles" camo scheme; I'm still uncertain between a free hand tentative or an apparently more complex masking solution...

Thank you very much to Tony, Peter, Paul, Del and Lee.
According to your comments, I came to the conclusion that I will have to post better pics ;), meaning that my skills as a photographer seems so poor that when I want to show defects, the only result happens to be a defectless subject.... :confounded:.
I know I made several mistakes. E.G., I'm less than proficient in masking transparencies, I applid decals on matt surfaces, often resulting in silvering expecially when decals are as bad as the Academy ones, and the yellow external leading edge of the Tempest is not in scale.
Maybe I'm a bit fussy, but that's the fun, or, at least, a substantial part of the hobby and there are many examples (Barry W is one among them) that "better is possible".

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andrea,
freehand looks better, keeping an even thickness of line will be tricky - but I wouldn't know where to start with a masking operation!! I think experimentation is in order, using a spare wing etc!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I think they're a great Andrea selection of builds. In time your masking and scale representation will improve as you build. I'm still learning at every next model so that keeps the fun in the hobby for me.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Andrea,

I am not a wing thingy builder even though I am currently building one behind the scenes. I think your work looks fine and I especially like the one with the 5 blade prop and the racing stripes (Sea Fury???). For being away from building models for so long, you should be very pleased with your results. We all learn something new almost everyday in this hobby and that's what makes it so much fun....

Believe me Sir, you are doing a heck of a job and as long as you are having fun, go for it....

Prost
Allen

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just came across this Andy. I'm not a wingy-thing builder but I sure envy your skill. Particularly the 'amoeba-style' ring camo on your Italian fighter. I attempted very similar on a piece of what-if German armor a couple years ago, with lackluster results (that's what I get for very little practice beforehand) . Anyway, I think you've done very well !

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN to me also Andrea yes some fab looking models indeed in mine an all the others guys opinion really like the typhoons an the jet typhoon very nice work indeed so you have not lost any skills only complaint ive got is the pics need to be full size so we can see the beauty of your work :thumb2:
chris b

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Just came across this Andy. I'm not a wingy-thing builder but I sure envy your skill. Particularly the 'amoeba-style' ring camo on your Italian fighter. I attempted very similar on a piece of what-if German armor a couple years ago, with lackluster results (that's what I get for very little practice beforehand) . Anyway, I think you've done very well !
Thank you Ron. The "amoeba" ring required some trials on a cardboard before being sure on how to move the brush to obtain a passable result.
I agree with the others........don't be so hard on yourself ;) Rick H.
Rick, the trials and errors path is the only one I know :sad-face:. What cheers me up is that even Leonardo da Vinci walked the same path ... (this statement just to show that I'm not always so hard on myself :rolling::smiling4::relieved:
They look excellent to me Andrea, well done
Thank you Garry, that was very useful as a "warm up" before the Grand Prix... which hasn't started yet :smiling:
AN to me also Andrea yes some fab looking models indeed in mine an all the others guys opinion really like the typhoons an the jet typhoon very nice work indeed so you have not lost any skills only complaint ive got is the pics need to be full size so we can see the beauty of your work :thumb2:
chris b
Wilco, Chris and thank you for your kind words.

IMG_1643.JPGIMG_1680.JPGIMG_1777r.JPGIMG_1835.JPGIMG_6085.JPGIMG_6512.JPGIMG_6518 (1).JPGIMG_6524.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
CHEERS Andrea now we can enjoy looking at your work which is fab by the way some beautyfull aircraft there an love that sea fury with one wing up an one down brilliant modeling keep up the good work but i'll sit an study them this evening as im just on a tea break from working on tiger at he moment
ATB TO YOU SIR
chris b