An important vote. poll closed

Should we drop the Forum Calendar GB's and concentrate fully on the Member suggested GB's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Over the last couple of years we have tried to find a GB system that works.
At present we have the Member sugested GB's and the Forum Calendar GB's
The Member Suggested GB's (Here after MSGB) seem to be working very well with a wide spectrum of subjects.
The Forum Calendar GB's (FCGB) on the other hand. Meh. Not so good. A quick look over the last two years show that there is very little interest in the FCGB's Both Polux and I put a fair biy of effort into planing them so it is a shame that they are so poorly used.
So Polux and I have agreed to put it to the vote so you, the members can choose.

Last edited:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I voted to drop as there have been so many good ones I just over committed my self and I still have three on the go.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Who decides what's in the calendar, and what are the criteria for choosing?

Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi George. A G.B. or group build is just that. Members or admin. choose a scale model theme. A particular type of aircraft, armour, diorama subject, whatever.

Members then put their name forward if they fancy joining a particular build, then if enough folks are interested a time scale is announced.

That's basically it.

P

Polux

Who decides what's in the calendar, and what are the criteria for choosing?

Pete
We designed the GBs calendar looking for a various and different subjects. Exactly three civilian themes, and three more military.
All the subjects have been changing during the years, looking for not repeat the themes, adding new ideas and searching for a balance of different builds.
Actually Ian M and I are deciding the subjects. The Suggestion GB are decided by the members.

X

Xarathustra

Hi George. A G.B. or group build is just that. Members or admin. choose a scale model theme. A particular type of aircraft, armour, diorama subject, whatever.

Members then put their name forward if they fancy joining a particular build, then if enough folks are interested a time scale is announced.

That's basically it.

Gotcha. Not sure I'd take part in one of these, so I think it's fairer that I abstain

P

Polux

I will say it sincerely.....
I like the idea to drop the GBs, but, by the other side, I’m afraid the Suggestion GB works only building military subjects. So hope the participation of all the members to search a balance.

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gotcha. Not sure I'd take part in one of these, so I think it's fairer that I abstain

Join in George. They are good fun and it's great to see how members interpret a given theme.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've enjoyed GBs in the past and the subjects were voted by the participants at the end of the year to cover one GB per quarter for the coming year. It seemed to draw out members to try different themes (ie. figures, civilian) and broaden their skills. The three month period allowed for concurrent projects as well, although a four month period seemed popular. Just my two cents. I'll certainly support whatever the members decide. PaulE

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will say it sincerely.....
I like the idea of drop the GBs, but, by the other side, I’m afraid the Suggestion GB works only building military subjects. So hope the participation of all the members to search a balance.
If a civilian subject gets suggested it's just a case of the person that suggested it, and the GB mods promoting it to get the required 10 participant minimum.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I quite like GB's. Over the years I have joined in quite a few and they encouraged me to have a go at stuff I would not have normally tried. On the old MM site I tried my hand a 1/350 scale under an artillery theme - something I doubt that I would have gotten around to doing.

I quite like the members suggestion GB's since it feels more inclusive, and I feel that if I vote for a subject then I have a moral obligation to join in!

I only joined the forum last May and have not really focused on the forum GB's so feel too new to suggest dropping anything.

Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've enjoyed GBs in the past and the subjects were voted by the participants at the end of the year to cover one GB per quarter for the coming year.
We did have that system in the past but to be honest it was not that simple. Three months of suggestions and figuring out which ones get to the voting booth. It really was a challenge.
As Polux explained he and I use a week or two finding diverse build ideas that hopefully appeal to a wide range of members. There are always a military, be it land, sea or air and a civilian theme build that run parallel for four months .

T

Topcat

I would like to be involved in group builds, but I have not been back in modelling long nor been on forum long too. So perhaps give us chance to get up to speed. This is the second vote in a week. How much more will this forum change?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I do like the idea of group builds - I've done a few since I joined, both Forum & Member GBs. I can understand that the Forum GB introduces subjects that may be new, or different to modellers, but if it isn't working, then let it go, and accept that the range of GB subjects will be reflecting the more popular genres. - I wouldn't want anyone putting time and effort into setting up the FCGBs, and seeing them poorly supported, or not at all!
Also - it seems that people say they will participate in a MSGB, then don't! No way of stopping this, but a guilty conscience!
Time scales for GBs should not be too tight, unless you are like me. retired, and with plenty of time. For younger modellers, work/family put external constraints on benchtime.
I'm voting to kill the Forum GBs - purely to save people time and effort setting them up, and them not being supported
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is the second vote in a week. How much more will this forum change?

Andy, this is being voted on because in the last few years Ian and Polux have organized forum G. B's and had little response. so it's being opened out to the members now to hopefully prevent them both setting next years builds to no avail.

There could well be another vote soon - To ban Christmas!.......:upside:

Status
Not open for further replies.