An important vote. poll closed

Should we drop the Forum Calendar GB's and concentrate fully on the Member suggested GB's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
I liked the GB's I took part in on the 'old site', but haven't had the time to join in any on here. I agree with Simon T that there seem to be a lot of GB's, perhaps too many & members suggestions could go into the pot for the Mods/Admin to choose or a members vote possibly.
Given that I haven't been here long or participated in a GB, I will abstain & go along with the majority.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Four days left to have your say....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ian
I haven’t yet contributed to a group build so don’t feel qualified to vote. I will post my impressions of the group build set up though. I find there are rather a lot of group builds on here, and that unless I specifically go into the group build folder I don’t know what is running.
This is probably linked to the way I use the site. When viewing the site I mostly utilise the “recent posts” link to see what has been posted since I last visited. This makes me unaware of the group build threads, as unless something new has been posted on the associated chat thread I will not see the “live” GB. Another thing I find is that it is not always obvious what is being built as part of the GB.
Where this ramble is taking me is that for me to be aware of GB progress, I think you need to publicise the GBs a little more on the recent posts tab. If others use the site in the same way, this may help to maximise participation.
Would it perhaps be possible to put a sticky post at the top of the recent post tab saying which GBs are currently live? Also, could there be a “summary” thread where progress on all builds by all participants are posted as they go along. This would allow participants to post updates without committing to a full build log. Lastly, could all build threads related to a GB be identified as such, to show participation?
Obviously this is just my take on the situation as it stands, and has echoes of the old site I posted on, but it worked, because GB take up there was pretty widespread. The downside of that participation level being that not taking part could make you feel a little out of the game. I am also aware that I may have answered a different question to that asked by the poll :flushed:
Selection of GB subjects is a whole different ball game. Some of the best ones I have participated in are those that pushed me right out of my comfort zone.. :cool:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Also, could there be a “summary” thread where progress on all builds by all participants are posted as they go along. This would allow participants to post updates without committing to a full build log. Lastly, could all build threads related to a GB be identified as such, to show participation?

are you trying to say there should be a single thread in which every one who is joining in, place their work in progress, then when it is finished make their own 'finished' thread to show it off?

do that on another forum im on and it works quite well.......keeps it all in one place, and can make for a lively thread

funny enough, another forum i use do it the exact opposite!......everyone has their own wip tread but theres a single 'finished' thread that way all the GB's entries get displayed in one go

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Tim,
I think that the system we run here is fine, it's just a case of getting used to it.
With regard to getting updates on what is happening you can go to the GB suggestions page and the approved GB Page and click on the watch button.
I do not think it a good idea at all to have everyone post their builds in one thread. I can only see it as being very confusing and hard to follow.
Each of the completed sections have a sub forum for completed group builds. This is done so that all the finished builds end up in the right place. Together.
I will have a look though and see if some form of sticky can be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.