An Old Walrus Coming to Life...Catapult Diorama

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
This is where I start the diorama build for the Walrus. I have moved from the build of the Walrus to the catapult diorama here.

It all started with coming across this thread in the SeaWings - The Flying Boat Website. It had images of a 1/48 scratchbuilt catapult with a Walrus on it...

CAT004.jpg Images for reference only

And I said I was going to build it if I had the plans...

CAT005.jpg Images for reference only

CAT006.jpg Images for reference only

Low and behold it came with a set of plans and I set about trying to scale it.

CAT0010.jpg

CAT0011.jpg

Lucky for me they had a side profile plan of a Walrus on this same catapult. Using that and measuring it with the kit fuselage length I managed to scale it.

CAT0012.jpg
Before this I had never undertaken such a project. I checked against the Evergreen angled strips available and most matched which made it more easier.

The build begins on the next post. But if you have missed the Walrus build, it is here.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
With the plans I started working on the cradle. If my measurements were correct, it would fit the fuselage of the Walrus.

CAT001.jpg

I was armed with a basic cutter, ruler, glue and forceps/tweezer.

CAT002.jpg

Basic material used were a mixture of Plastruc and Evergreen strip and rod of different thickness and size.

CAT003.jpg

I put it against the Walrus belly and it fit nicely and I was sure the rest would go smoothly...fingers crossed.

More later...I know some of you would like to see the Disco king again or the Village People doing the YMCA. :smiling5:

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4539

It is only just the start and I am already impressed :smiling3:.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ralph, thanks...you're not the only one impressed, even I was impressed with myself having undertaken such a task.

Next task was the main piston that worked the cables. I used different plastic tubing that scaled to the size that's why you see them in clear and standard plastic. Thin strips were used for the bands.

CAT007.jpg

The cover at the end was a disc and two part putty shaped and sanded to a dome shape.

CAT008.jpg

Lever handles fashioned with rod and strip and hexagon rod for a bolt head.

CAT009.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I remember being impressed with this scratch built catapult. Most enjoyable to be able to see it again.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, glad to share it again and to the new audience.

Next I concentrated on the wheel pulleys. Lucky for me they were all identical so I made up a master and cast the rest with a one sided mold...

CAT0013.jpg

I think there were a total of 24 needed and these were the ones that passed scrutiny. They weren't perfect with tiny pin bubbles that with a thick coat of paint would hide. Some came out as jelly or didn't harden a nd were like rubber. I lost that trusty rusty cutter in an event... miss it.

CAT0014.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I primed the piston and cradle and it looked better without the different colored materials before.

CAT0015.jpg

I worked on the arm extensions and fitted the pulley wheels...

CAT0016.jpg

I made two of them and they are slightly different in length. Following the plans they should fit inside the main section of the catapult because they were slided in on both sides when not in use for easy stowage.

CAT0017.jpg

The ends were a challenge to make the curve for the pulley guard.

CAT0018.jpg

CAT0019.jpg

The plans were vague in certain attachments so a little guess work was needed in fitting the piston to the base of the main catapult section.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
ok time to continue where I left off...

After the inner cage had set I worked on the outer main cage structure. Following the plans it was just making sure I had measurements right before cutting the supports...

CAT0020.jpg

The angle iron beam edges were snipped with a sharp sprue cutter...I wasn't going to waste time measuring each edge for the correct angle as this would be corrected with a swipe of w large file.

CAT0021.jpg

Using the inside structure I clamped the main structure for a tight fit. The middle length of angle strip acts as a slide guide.

CAT0022.jpg

On either side of the catapult were walkways for operators to work on the valves and switches of the cylinders.

CAT0023.jpg

I used fine mesh for the tread patterns on the walkways. I made three of them. Later railings were added.

CAT0024.jpg

I hope everyones following me so far 'cos its basically measure and cut...surprisingly not much sanding.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I think I would have found it difficult simply scaling the plans although I can see that once that is done the construction is not too difficult. Keeping everything neat and accurate would be hard though. Strange that the resin pulley wheels didn't harden. Old hardener or incorrect mixing?
How long is the catapult? Just interested to know how big the parts are.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim,
You're in luck that it is sitting in front of me. It's roughly 16 inches across when fully extended.

Don't know about the resin hardener as it's from the same batch...I think it's the proportions that I may have erred. The hatches that I made later also suffered the same reactions for some of them.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The catapult sits on a rotating carousel. I made mine from thick plastic card cut with a circular cutter, then I made the lip from gluing a thick strip around it. Using a file slowly filed the gear teeth. I wishe thetre was an easier way to do this but couldn't find one.

CAT0025.jpg

This circular geard disc sits on another larger disc.

CAT0026.jpg

Carefully measures spacing was done with a protractor and T strips glued as supports.

CAT0027.jpg

Then the side supports using thin plastic card was wrapped around the side and secured with strips on the top and bottom. I cut out angular frame supports from thick card.

CAT0029.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb work Richard. Looking forward to seeing the Walrus on its catapult

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Joe, glad you like the construction so far.

Here are more images from other angles...here you see the skids for the launch end and the angle strip at the lower middle for the rollers on the extention arms to roll on.

CAT0031.jpg

I don't know what this is but it could be the tube that collects the compressed air to send the pulley the opposite direction after the launch much like a recuperator.

CAT0032.jpg

Below in the middle lies the huge compressor to drive the fly wheel that works the cable for the pulley's.

CAT0033.jpg

The walkway platform with the railings added from thin rod and strip.

CAT0034.jpg

The perforated side supports that will house the turn wheels. Next to it is the control platform with part of the control box fashioned form plastic strip. I have tested the cradle to see if it fits the top run of the catapult...I will be marking slots to attach the rollers that will be running on the inside of the rail beams.

CAT0035.jpg

Looks complicated but it doesn't really.

Cheers,
Richard

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very impressive stuff Richard, you make it look easy!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A lot of us remember this well, seeing these photos brings back that magic build .
It really was one Richard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Si and John, once you understand the cross sections of the plan and what some lines mean then it's easy peezy.

Firstly those round wire eyelets are not made from the plans seen here. They would eventually be turn wheels. I also made some other bits and shaft from plastic rods and tubes

CAT0036.jpg

CAT0037.jpg

Crosse frames were super glued to the round eyelets and secured to rods on the side supports. I'm guessing these wheel helped level the catapult or kept it in place once the direction was decided.

CAT0038.jpg

CAT0039.jpg

The ladder was from copper wire basically super glued..I don't know how to weld or solder properly unless I intend to do pyrotechnics like John. :smiling6:

CAT0040.jpg

Those bits I did earlier were for the work station...

CAT0041.jpg

...and for the shaft next to the high pressure turbine tube.

CAT0042.jpg

I straightened thin wire and made a hook at one end then threaded it through pre-drilled brace supports...again I don't know what this is for but it's in the plan.
You can clearly see the cross frame from copper sheet in this angle. The nut in the center is cut from hexagonal rod but seriously at this scale even smooth ros suffices.

I guess this sums up most of the construction...next would be threading the cables around the pulleys.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Its that center gear that is impressive, reading you filed out the teeth Richard, it would have 1/2 a tooth spare if I attempted something like that.:smiling2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Richard,

I do love seeing this incredible build taking place again. Your dedication to the fine details and your scratchy scratchy is one not to be forgotten. Don't worry my friend, we can wait for the Village People...…….

Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
John and Allen, please except my apologies, should have continued once back from Penang. Still a long way to go before the Village people perform :tears-of-joy:

The following are images before cabling and paint. I set it on the plywood base with timber biding for the sides and painted gloss black.

CAT0043.jpg

For launching the back extension normally is extended fully I didn't want it to take the full weight of the Walrus so decided that was as far as it will go and rested the cradle just at the edge of the main structure.

CAT0044.jpg

The forward extension would later be pulled to the maximum...

CAT0045.jpg

CAT0046.jpg

CAT0047.jpg

CAT0048.jpg

CAT0049.jpg

I used a regular power drill with large drill bits set to the lowest of rpm to drill the large apertures.

CAT0050.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, while painting the catapult sub assemblies I added planking to the mock deck. I had the deck planks end in step formation rather than squaring it off for a difference.

CAT0051.jpg

The pre shading looks heavy but it was necessary as I wanted the it showing strngly thru the coats of grey.

CAT0052.jpg

I gave the top a mist of lighter grey which brought out detail without dry brushing yet.

CAT0053.jpg

Cheers,
Richard