An old Walrus coming to life...Matchbox 1/72 kit.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

The recent picture of a Kingfisher on a catapult at the Cosford show has made me revisit the build I did nearly two years back. Many here have not seen it while those from the past forum may have. I'll start off by showing what was completed followed by the build blog.

CAT0074.jpg

This isn't the latest image because the hatches haven't been added yet but it gives an idea of what the build becomes.

W002.jpg

The box was nearly disintegrating when I took it from the stash...with a set of reference printouts I took a big gulp and delved into the build.

W001.jpg

The parts weren't the typical multi coloured plastic pieces you would normally find in a Matchbox kit. This was a Chinese reboxed version but it did have three types of coloured plastic in grey, pearl and white. Panel lines were raised so I sanded them down to rescribe.

W003.jpg

These were mu tools for the scribing, dymo tape for contoured surfaces, draftmens aluminum template and a scriber.

W006.jpg

W004.jpg

Lucky for me most of the panels were straight so it was easy. Scribing is best done while the parts are still in their halves so their flat sides anchor them to the mat.

W005.jpg

W007.jpg

With the scribing completed I proceeded with the interior ribbing then scratching the seats and cockpit and radio compartment not before cutting the windows for the radio compartment. I made the floor walkway with the side of CD covers.

W008.jpg

More later.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Richard,

It's nice to see this build again and it is one to be proud of. I'll be watching it and I hope you still have the picture of the figures after you painted them. I loved the poses and how they are all dancing to the Village People's song "In The Navy"...….Hope all is well on your side of the world my friend.

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I remember this but I'll enjoy seeing it again. That scribing template looks useful. Was there no interior at all in the kit?
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys,

Allen... :tears-of-joy: they're still dancing on the deck.
Jim...the kit only came with L shaped seats, crew and locating pins like most old kits of the day.

I'll continue with more photo's soon.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The Walrus gets more furniture...

Besides the cockpit and radio room, the rear compartment recieved a bit of work too...

W009.jpg

The board walk was extended and since I ran out of CD cover edges I replaced with scribed sheets of thick plastic. Made some oxigen bottles and the steering wheel.

W0010.jpg

Added the co-pilots foldable seat and some levers on the right side of the fuselage. I don't know why I bothered with the paddles...cxan't see them unless I peer through the opened canopy from an acute angle from above.

W0011.jpg

After a light coat of primer the chaos doesn't look too bad.

W0012.jpg

Posing the left wing folded needed some thinking. Exposed areas needed reworking with flaps cut out as they were folded as well...

W0013.jpg

Interior green and some extra panels attached on the ceiling . Everything is attached so painting them individually would be in areas which could be seen and not the full monty.

W0014.jpg

Wing root painted in insignier chrome yellow...

W0015.jpg

Below is a process I wasted time on thinking the flaps had rounded edges at the wing mounts. Later I found they weren't flaps at all but were just part of the wing that needed to be flipped up for the wing to be folded and had a flat edge with hinges.

W0016.jpg

Next interior painting and weathering...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Now where am I...oh yes... colours for the interior

W0017.jpg

Before and after a coat of dark wash and cleanup.

W0018.jpg

Put in the raised pilots platform and mucked around with seatbelts...

W0019.jpg

I cut a piece of acetate for the windows on either side of the radio operators section.

W0020.jpg

From this angle you get to see the flight controls made from different sized cut discs.

W0021.jpg

The rear gunners seat wasn't forgotten either and had a painted cussion and belts too.

W0022.jpg

Did the machinegun support ring and added a stowage box to the rear to block off anything else from view of the rear.

Next up will be the engine.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ralph...more images and construction to digest...did I say engine next...my apologies, its the wheel well and side floats...

W0023.jpg

Seriously it was empty and I thought some simple gyzmalogy would suffice until I saw the reference...Gee Whiz...turned out to be some honey combed thingy. Solved it with two layers of cut squares.

W0024.jpg

Before the wing halves could be glued together I had to secure the rigging for the floats. Cyano and rigging thread were used.

W0025.jpg

Both sides done.

W0026.jpg

Even before I glued the halves I still had to pre-drill the holes for the other rigging from the upper wing. That will be shown later.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok engine for real now...

Some minor details like the lip on the nozzle using very thin tubing. The kit part was just flat with no hole.

W0027.jpg

On looking at the build sequence something told me I had to tackle the engine first. I was surprised that Matchbox had gotten the characteristic angle of the engine pod slightly off to the left after all the struts were assembled on. At first I was wondering why some of the connecting holes were off center and proceeded with correcting them as you can see the gapping hole. The struts fitted the existing hole and not the one I made. On looking at actual plans the engine pod was mounted at an angle. Thumbs up for Matchbox.

W0028.jpg

After all man made holes were plugged up I drilled inserts for the rigging and added the filaments with extra lengths as a precaution and to ease work later.

W0029.jpg

On fitting the cylinders they looked too simple...

W0030.jpg

I added exhaust manifolds out of thick lead solering wire flatted at the curve with a plyer.

W0031.jpg

Before gluing them down I marked each spot as there was no room for error when using super glue.

W0032.jpg

They fit thankfully...

W0033.jpg

As this assembly will be difficult to get at, pre painting was necessary so that will come up next.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I see some have arachnophobia :tears-of-joy: ...the engine sure looks like a spindly spider.

Anyway some little bits like the rope winch attached to the front cabin before I close the fuselage halves....

W0034.jpg

The winch goes just behind the front crows nest or front gunner position. I used wire for the rope which was easier to create the loop I needed later.

W0035.jpg

While the halves were being clamped I attached the lower section of the upper wing to the enging strut. I also cleaned up and assembled the propeller blades and the wheels.

W0036.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

I always thought that this was one of your best Richard. Amazing work on such an old kit.

When I saw the title I couldn't help thinking of this:

download (10).jpg

It's a much-loved stuffed walrus in the Horniman Museum in South London. Very old and moth-eaten but kept on display due to public demand. I used to take my kids there when we lived around the corner.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim and Peter,

Jim, yes I visited this site here for most of my references on the Walrus. It helped me a lot on the wing fold and how it was stowed. Also little things like the tail wheel, the steps on the struts for easy access to the top wing.
Peter, and the plane was well loved as well by the crew and a sight for sore eyes for downed pilots and abandoned sailors. Everyone has a special display at museums, mine were life sized dios of the jungle. I would always look at ways to improve the display.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
More detailing...

W0037.jpg

There was adimple at the center of the propeller hub which I filled with a disc and nut. The engine nacelle fairing recieved some additional bits and pieces of access panels and scoops. The rear gunner hatch window was cut out.

W0038.jpg

From references I made the wing fold structure with plastic strip and tubing and sprayed it zync chromate.

W0039.jpg

Plastic strip was used for the slide rail of the rear hatch...any gaps at the fuselage joints were filled in and sanded smooth. The step at the cockpit was quite prominent as you can see the amount of filler needed.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard,
Just signed out and saw this, came straight back in .
Remember this well, esp the rigging, my you did that so we'll, when Peter said he thought it as one of your best I agreed.
As it progressed it became more of a marvel of modelling skill, I remember some guy joining in the discussion on the launch system, never seen him since !
Shall enjoy a trip down memory lane with this .
Hope you are well
John .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, good to have you around. Ya, I remember the guy :tears-of-joy:...sounded like he wanted my catapult to actually work...it's plastic for crying out loud and a static model at that. Everything is just a mock up from tubing and what nots. I'm just happy it looks ok measurement wise.

Glad you're still liking it.

Cheers,
Richard