An old Walrus coming to life...Matchbox 1/72 kit.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ralph, the tricky part of the camo would later be for the lower wing. :smiling5:

The decals were old and cracked on contact with water so the roundels had to be pieced like a jigsaw.

W0076.jpg

Lucky for me some didn't shatter or crack. Matchbox gave the usual spartan of decals with no extra stencilling.

W0077.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, the Lewis guns for both turret weren't that bad so I used them with a little enhancement added.

On the close up below you will see that I used wire to simulate the draped rope that is tied to the two fasteners on the nose and left hanging to the side. Just below that on the tip of the bow is a triangular bracket which acts as a tow hook. That was made from plastic strip drilled out and cut to shape.

W0078.jpg

They both had the solid handlebars drilled out, a sighting ring and barrel end sights added. I replaced the cradele mount with wire. Overall was painted matt black and dry brushed with silver.

W0079.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Richard. Very nice progress I’m liking this build a lot

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks gentlemen. I'm glad you like it. It's been more than a year that I had finished this but haven't actually touched on the weathering. Will do it prior to sending it again for the Penang show under dioramas this time.

Here are some shots before I added the footprints on the upper wing. Decals weren't provided for that so I had to draw and cut a stencil for the masking.

W0080.jpg

W0081.jpg

The whole aircraft recieved pin washes to the scribed panel lines and an extra amount of dark wash added to the flaps.

W0082.jpg

W0083.jpg

The wash helped bring out detail and just made it a bit more crisp...seriously don't know how to describe it but it's like the image in the lens suddenly is focused sharp.

W0084.jpg

W0085.jpg

W0086.jpg

After building this Airfix came out with their new tooled Walrus including a 1/48 scaled kit. But I'm still glad I worked on this oldie.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks gentlemen. I'm glad you like it. It's been more than a year that I had finished this but haven't actually touched on the weathering. Will do it prior to sending it again for the Penang show under dioramas this time.

Here are some shots before I added the footprints on the upper wing. Decals weren't provided for that so I had to draw and cut a stencil for the masking.

View attachment 343927

View attachment 343928

The whole aircraft recieved pin washes to the scribed panel lines and an extra amount of dark wash added to the flaps.

View attachment 343929

View attachment 343930

The wash helped bring out detail and just made it a bit more crisp...seriously don't know how to describe it but it's like the image in the lens suddenly is focused sharp.

View attachment 343931

View attachment 343932

View attachment 343933

After building this Airfix came out with they new tooled Walrus including a 1/48 scaled kit. But I'm still glad I worked on this oldie.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
That is a great result, your right the pin washes have made the details pop.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie, everything was fine until I sprayed a coat of varnish so the dilema hasn't quite finished yet. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, my first stencils of the boot mark were a little too big. I only realised this after spraying them on. I couldn't remove them so I decided spray over them with the gray and green camo. For this I used blu-tac and masked just a portion and carefully airbrushed the affected area.

CAT0068.jpg

After that I cut new stencils and sprayed the boots one by one...

CAT0071.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
This is where I start the diorama build for the Walrus. I will take the opportunity to move this to the diorama section afte I have made an intro into what made me do it then I'll add a link.

It all started with coming across this thread in the SeaWings - The Flying Boat Website. It had images of a 1/48 scratchbuilt catapult with a Walrus on it...

CAT004.jpg Images for reference only

And I said I was going to build it if I had the plans...

CAT005.jpg Images for reference only

CAT006.jpg Images for reference only

Low and behold it came with a set of plans and I set about trying to scale it.

CAT0010.jpg

CAT0011.jpg

Lucky for me they had a side profile plan of a Walrus on this same catapult. Using that and measuring it with the kit fuselage length I managed to scale it.

CAT0012.jpg
Before this I had never undertaken such a project. I checked against the Evergreen angled strips available and most matched which made it more easier.

The build will start in the next thread in the diorama section here. So hop over if you want to see the continuation to the end.

Cheers,
Richard