An SK Miniatures Samurai Bust Repaint

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

4566212108_292x370.jpg

A third time re-paint for this one, an SK Miniatures 1/9 bust of the famous C14th samurai Kusunoki Masashige. There is a statue of our man outside the Imperial Palace in Tokyo:

download (33).jpg

And here he is depicted in a couple of prints:

Masashige_samurai.jpgAN00588198_001_l.jpg

The bust depicts Masashige in court dress, similar to the image on the right. Ernesto Reyes painted the box art, and an impossible act it is to follow too, especially as he's used the subject's mon to create a pattern all over the clothing. I'm going for a much simpler scheme, though I did attempt something on the last repaint:

781350.jpg

The pattern was semi successful, but made the whole thing a bit unbalanced. Sorry for the poor photo - I was convinced I'd run a thread on it on this site and therefore had better pictures, but it turns out that it must have pre-dated my joining in April 2018. Time flies.

So, here's the head:

100_6056.JPG100_6057.JPG100_6059.JPG

If I remember correctly, the kit came in several parts, with three sections for the hair, separate neck armour and a sword hilt. The square thing under his arm is a ceremonial fan.

That's the hardest bit done at least.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

1st day of 2020, grey and sadly looks like no sun today!

The photos?

Is the 1st one with a darker complexion yours or the box art?

The 2nd one is in your cabinet?

Before stripping?

Obviously the 3rd is the new reincarnation.

Good start and no issues with poor sculpting of mad men!

Looks like a simple dress code would be easier and get you back into the swing of finishing busts again.

New Years day is a good day to clear out all the old business and set your stall out for the bright New Year.

Have a good day

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve and a Happy New Year to you. We did a snap chat with Katherine in NZ last night, and weirdly, she was already in the next decade.

First photo is Ernesto Reyes' box art, second the last effort by myself before stripping. Pumped up and ready for some serious painting in 2020. Cold and misty here. Just took down the Christmas tree with the help of my granddaughter ''Put it in the box; in the box Remi; Hooray! Clever girl!'' - that sort of thing.

Onwards.....

Reactions: JR

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice start Peter, this sculp looks much better than the funny Verlinden guys of last year :thumb2: .
Yes time-zones can really mess with your head :upside: Hope you both had a nice evening.
Cheers, Steven

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steven

Yes, a much better sculpt and a big relief to work on something that looks more human. Had a great evening watching 'The Limehouse Golem' - gory murder and mystery in 1880s London - how festive!

The state of play at lunchtime:

100_6062.JPG

Still lots to do. The back to paint, then the shoulder armour. The fan will need a decorative design painted on it, then I'll paint and add the throat armour. Unfortunately, I lost the knife hilt that slots into the sash, so I'll have to scratch a new one.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Best wishes to you and yours for the new year. Excellent work thus far.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter looks great especially like your colour choice and the edges are so shape.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Pete. It's an improvement on my last effort.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great progress, lovely colour contrasts too.

The next stages should be really intense fun with such detailed painting, enjoy.

Good to hear you are all caught up with Katherine.

Christmas is all packed away too!

I'll take ours down on Epiphany, as I'll need to climb 3 steps up a ladder, to get to the ceilings for all the paper chains.

That will be a challenge!

Looks a little brighter today too, so grab the light whilst you can.

Have a good day with the paints

regards

Steve H

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice drapery on this one Peter, looks great.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
A Happy New Year of painting to you .

Beautiful work, nice colours in the clothing.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - The detailing was not quite as much fun as I'd anticipated as the finish on the neck armour was none too sharp. However, I've knocked it into some sort of shape, and it's at the varnishing stage now. Very gloomy weather here in the South - the light is appalling. Take care when you do get around to taking down the decs.

Tim - Glad you like him.

John - And a Hippy New Gear to you too! Nearly finished...

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Finished:

100_6070.JPG100_6071.JPG100_6072.JPG100_6073.JPG

Today I first painted and fitted the neck guard, then added the knife, which I'd scratched using resin rod and a hilt from a 120mm Verlinden figure. Lastly, I painted the design on the fan, which is based on motifs seen on Japanese kimonos.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Ralph. It's put me back in the mood for more.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow you certainly are in the mood Peter, those flowers are beautifully detailed on the uniform as is the whole thing.