Anchors and chain, colour??o

First Name
Carl
You can use metal black rather than paint. It doesn’t clog up the links. Carr’s make loads, and gun blue works as well.
I’ll have a look for that paint. In my head I was thinking of holding a length of chain straight between two clips and then spray paining. My concern is when you bend the chain into position afterwards your probably end up seeing the brass bits that didn’t cover under the links?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, that’s the sort of thing. Long established manufacturers are these two.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/carrs/solvents-cat2

There are a good number of suppliers for these so search a bit for best prices if you want to go that way. I would expect the one illustrated by Andy to probably be a repack of this stuff.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You can make a super-saturated solution of copper carbonate (CuCO3Cu(OH)2) and regular, over-the-counter ammonia, The copper carbonate could be purchased at a good chemists. these days.... It is also used in pottery to colour glazes with so that might be a source.
Mix it outdoors as the ammonia is not to good for you and stinks like hell. Add the copper into some ammonia and stir well keep adding until the liquid can no longer dissolve the crystals.
Keep in a tight closing plastic bottle of tub. To use, degrease the brass and place in a shallow dish with some of the solution. It helps to turn the part and stir up in the liquid once is has the darkness you want, remove and rinse well in clean water. The solution can be reused quite a bit so pour it back in a container.

As a side note if you need to bend small wooden parts, (like planking for a model ship) if you soak the strips of wood in ammonia it softens the long strand cells of the wood so much that you can tie a knot in it! Rinse under running water once 'soft' enough and bend around to the desired shape. leave to dry. then glue in place. :smiling3:

First Name
Carl
Yep, that’s the sort of thing. Long established manufacturers are these two.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/carrs/solvents-cat2

There are a good number of suppliers for these so search a bit for best prices if you want to go that way. I would expect the one illustrated by Andy to probably be a repack of this stuff.
Thanks Tim, would
You use the brass black or one of the other black options?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Depends on the metal Carl. Brass black works best on brass and nickel silver works best on nickel silver, for example....I would carry out a thorough degrease with an overnight soak in meths first though, any grease will stop the reaction occurring. I’ve used Carrs brass, Carr’s NS, and birchwood Casey (on steel) and all work.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You can make a super-saturated solution of copper carbonate (CuCO3Cu(OH)2) and regular, over-the-counter ammonia, The copper carbonate could be purchased at a good chemists. these days.... It is also used in pottery to colour glazes with so that might be a source.
Mix it outdoors as the ammonia is not to good for you and stinks like hell. Add the copper into some ammonia and stir well keep adding until the liquid can no longer dissolve the crystals.
Keep in a tight closing plastic bottle of tub. To use, degrease the brass and place in a shallow dish with some of the solution. It helps to turn the part and stir up in the liquid once is has the darkness you want, remove and rinse well in clean water. The solution can be reused quite a bit so pour it back in a container.

As a side note if you need to bend small wooden parts, (like planking for a model ship) if you soak the strips of wood in ammonia it softens the long strand cells of the wood so much that you can tie a knot in it! Rinse under running water once 'soft' enough and bend around to the desired shape. leave to dry. then glue in place. :smiling3:
Does it burn !

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
When I lived in Hong Kong in the 1960's we used to get to look round US Navy ships when they were berthed in the dock yard. Most impressive Pete.

Well, there's HMS Belfast. Also Warrior and Victory.
You're right though, there are quite a few places in the US where you can park free, pay a few dollars, and you're free to wander round warships and/or aircraft all day. I always tried to seek them out when work took me to the US. The photo above is Battleship Cove, in Maryland.
Pete