Andrew and Junior's wargaming roads

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

As Junior and I have very little terrain for our battles, this spring and summer wedecided to do some roads.

We got the idea from someone on a YouTube called Mel Bose aka The Terrain Tutor (link here). His techniques are simple and generally use inexpensive items you find at home or DIY stores, rather than expensive modelling supplies.

He's got an interesting back story - ex-army, suffered serious mental health issues meaning he had to give up work but his terrain modelling and associated channel have helped him a lot with his recovery. He also comes across as very genuine and is not afraid to show where it goes wrong unlike a lot of people I've seen, which I find invaluable. He must be doing something right as he's got 12+million views(!!!!), 127k subscribers and has crowdfunded for a terrain making book that is 500% funded.

Obviously being for wargaming these are very styalised and not meant to be super realistic but for us they are perfect

In terms of making the roads the process goes like this:
  • Find a basing material - in our case 3mm mdf and fibreboard.
  • Cut to desired width - straights in our case are a 3.5" strip cut width-ways across an A4 sheet of the basing material.
  • Glue lollipop sticks length-ways to the sides to stop warping.
  • Cut road surface** to measure - 2.5" wide - and glue on.
  • Cover lollipop sticks with filler to create the base for the 'verge'.
  • PVA and grit to cover the filler as a first pass, then paint dark brown.
  • Cover in green flocking (home made by moi [still needs some refinement]), add some bushes and job done. (see below)

This was a real joint effort between junior and and we had a great time.

I've included a couple of progress pics too so you can see how it went (Mods - hope that's ok as I know this is for completed work only)

ACW as usual!!

Andrew

*Look out for the rabbit hole, for which I have a cunning plan!!

**For the road we used the underside of black roofing felt. I have 6sqm of it lying around after re-roofing the shed last year, which works out at a round 31,000 sqm scaled up from 1/72 (just over (1,000,000 sq ft)

*** Si, Bob sorry for boring you with this again.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What we were aiming for:

47889790841_b6a40714f4_c.jpg

Our version:

47874059631_d199ede910_c.jpg

32937651597_95b62004da_c.jpg

48057888702_95cc9c2f1e_c.jpg

48073961187_15c52ce13d_c.jpg

48074031977_fd10a69eb2_c.jpg
]48114688368_1ef7c69ae5_c.jpg

48114742822_d0b64c6cf8_c.jpg

48114741372_26216bbcef_c.jpg

48114657126_5875a7555b_c.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice work! Looks to me like you have it pretty well nailed down. Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew, he is a really nice guy, I look in on him every now and again on his channel. Find him so keen on what he does, and can remember the early shows from his house with the family and dog wondering around in the back ground. Has some great ideas and not afraid to try different techniques and seems very genuine.

Junior and your roads look really good, with the road is as detailed as this we are in for a treat with models !

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very cool. PaulE

Great work

Nice work! Looks to me like you have it pretty well nailed down. Rick H.

Thanks guys!! Very much appreciated!!! I'll let Junior know.

Andrew, he is a really nice guy, I look in on him every now and again on his channel. Find him so keen on what he does, and can remember the early shows from his house with the family and dog wondering around in the back ground. Has some great ideas and not afraid to try different techniques and seems very genuine.

Junior and your roads look really good, with the road is as detailed as this we are in for a treat with models !

John

I only came across him about a year ago and have watched loads of his vids, right from his lounge days up to his latest workshop. I actually fund him for US$1 per month through Patreon because I use so much of it and want to help him out. I've also signed up for a copy of the book he's in the process of writing.

I completely agree with you, very nice and very genuine. As you know he's not afraid to admit not knowing it all or making mistakes.

This is a summary of the day his book funded. Select go to 11 minutes in and watch his reaction! Truly heartwarming!! :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank Andrew,I've not seen this one. About to have a watch.
Your right, it was indeed,have to feel for the guy, he's come so far.
Did you happen to notice the video was back to front, I first noticed in the studio looking at the wording on some kit.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Thanks for sharing Andrew. I have to agree with you about the terrain guy, his stuff is very easy to follow and cheap to make. His channel has certainly come on in leaps and bounds.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Please come to sunny Wales and do to 1/1 scale lol

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for sharing Andrew. I have to agree with you about the terrain guy, his stuff is very easy to follow and cheap to make. His channel has certainly come on in leaps and bounds.
Mick

Thanks for stopping by. We like him a lot in our house and my son lives watching his videos and as he's only 11 the simplicity of Mel's work is perfect for him.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Please come to sunny Wales and do to 1/1 scale lol
I hope you've got deep pockets. That's lot of roofing felt, lollipop sticks, sawdust, green dye and polyfiller!!!!:tongue-out3: