Andrew's 1/100 Huey UH-1H (Pete's Helicopter GB)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So this has crossed the finish line.

As some of you will have seen I had any number of problems with the build in terms of fit, parts, decals, breakages (I dropped it the other day), glue problems in places, paint lifting and the like - ALL of which where my fault. It was like the build was jinxed from the off and time had gone back five years plus to my earlier builds. :tired: :crying: :tired:

There were were a couple of points where the instructions and kit didn't help but they were very minor compared to the numerous faux pas' on my part......

The most perplexing issue is some speckling on the inside of the front windows.....it doesn't look like paint but I can only assuming that's what it is and that I didn't seal it properly before applying the primer. I also overdid the PVA type glue I used to hold the windows in, which has bled onto some of them and so looks very naff in places.... :crying: :tired: :crying: :tired:

All in all it's actually quite a ham-fisted effort and I was dubious about putting up some pictures but thought why not and besides, from a normal viewing distance with both eyes shut it looks ok.... ;) .....some of it really is very ropey......

And yet, as I said to Mr Dewire on the build thread, despite my numerous mistakes I've really enjoyed it. So much so I'd like to have to at doing it again properly......

Then it occurred to me I could do a 'slick' version simply by omitting the gun and rocket pods..... Plus the hog comes in two configurations.......oh and Revell also do an AH-1 Cobra at this scale too....four more kits for the stash!!

But MOST importantly this is the first time I have EVER finished a Group Build kit - yet alone doing it within the required timeframe!! If that isn't good enough reason for posting some pictures of a ropey kit up I don't know what is!! :smiling3: :smiling3:

ACW as usual. The build thread can be found here https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/andrews-1-100-revell-uh-1h-gunship.38677/.

All the best.

Andrew

---------------------------------------------

Not it's best side.....I forgot to take a shot of that

Especially for Mr Dewire; another shot of my wrinkly thumb!

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
For a small scale that's turned out nice and thanks for joining in.
Peter

Thanks for stopping by and the support but you are too kind....it really is not very good.

More importantly, thanks for organising the GB. It's opened my eyes to the world of helicopters, which I hadn't really considered before and I think I may make some more in the future.

All the best.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Morning Andrew,

Yes, I have noticed the wrinkle cream is not working properly and thank you for the thumb shot. The whirly thing has really turned out well and you have done a magnificent job on such a tiny thang. Don't be so hard on yourself my friend. If I could even do half as good a job, I would be ecstatic and.......probably be blind too......

Now, we have to discuss this Mr. thing. Only 2 people call me Mr. and they are as follows,

Mr. Dewire, you were speeding at 160 MPH on the M1.....No Officer Andrew, I was not doing 160 MPH, I was only doing 149 MPH...................

Mr. Dewire, You are accused of running over 2 little old ladies crossing the street. How do you plead? Your Honorable Andrew, I plead insanity as they were only worth 10 points each instead of the usual 50 each...........................

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good Morning Andrew,

Yes, I have noticed the wrinkle cream is not working properly and thank you for the thumb shot. The whirly thing has really turned out well and you have done a magnificent job on such a tiny thang. Don't be so hard on yourself my friend. If I could even do half as good a job, I would be ecstatic and.......probably be blind too......

Now, we have to discuss this Mr. thing. Only 2 people call me Mr. and they are as follows,

Mr. Dewire, you were speeding at 160 MPH on the M1.....No Officer Andrew, I was not doing 160 MPH, I was only doing 149 MPH...................

Mr. Dewire, You are accused of running over 2 little old ladies crossing the street. How do you plead? Your Honorable Andrew, I plead insanity as they were only worth 10 points each instead of the usual 50 each...........................

Prost
Allen

Thanks Allen.....it could be a lot better though!

As for calling you Mr.....it somehow seemed appropriate.......

....I don't think it had anything to do with 10+ years I spent in law enforcement but you never know!! ;)

ATB

Andrew

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not easy in the diminutive scale by any means, most impressive Andrew.
The committee were also impressed , Matron esp liked the wasp on the front , very much after her character.
So it's a .
The Dogs_0.jpg THE DOGS 2 MOD.png
Nice one , congratulations .

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not easy in the diminutive scale by any means, most impressive Andrew.
The committee were also impressed , Matron esp liked the wasp on the front , very much after her character.
So it's a .
View attachment 450078
Nice one , congratulations .
Thank you John. I'm not sure I feel I deserve it in this case but who can argue with the Committee!!

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Allen.....it could be a lot better though!

As for calling you Mr.....it somehow seemed appropriate.......

....I don't think it had anything to do with 10+ years I spent in law enforcement but you never know!! ;)

ATB

Andrew
So you may have seen Allen then Andrew, just after he ran over those two poor old ladies.
A cracking effort on such a small scale helicopter, all part of life’s learning curve. Looking forward to seeing your next build.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
It's tiny ain't it. Great that you enjoyed it and got a GB finished. Maybe not your best work but certainly not nearly as bad as you make out.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Speckles are a mystery Andrew. I thought it came out fine though. 1:100 is tough.
Allen, we have a different rating system here in the states, 50 points is only awarded for NYC messengers & 10 points for just observing a senior in the wild in the state of Montana.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Congratulations on a great result there Andrew:thumb2:,
As one who saw this, bagged up,in the flesh,i can certainly vouch for just how tiny this is!!
A Cracking build there mate..... i love it :cool: !!
Andy

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice Andrew, keep on keeping on.
Garry

Thanks for the support, much appreciated!

So you may have seen Allen then Andrew, just after he ran over those two poor old ladies.
A cracking effort on such a small scale helicopter, all part of life’s learning curve. Looking forward to seeing your next build.

Ian

Probably not actually - RTAs weren't my thing....you had to be VERY naughty to come into my particular area. Thanks for the support on the chopper....I really do want to have another go at one, just to prove it was me and not the kit.

Hi Andrew
It's tiny ain't it. Great that you enjoyed it and got a GB finished. Maybe not your best work but certainly not nearly as bad as you make out.
Jim

Jim

Thanks for the support!! It is tiny isn't, although it's still longer than a 1/72 Cromwell!

Speckles are a mystery Andrew. I thought it came out fine though. 1:100 is tough.
Allen, we have a different rating system here in the states, 50 points is only awarded for NYC messengers & 10 points for just observing a senior in the wild in the state of Montana.

Paul

The speckles are a mystery. They look like imperfections in the plastic but I don't remember seeing them in during the build and can't see any in the sprue shots. I can only assume that I hadn't sealed it properly but can't for the life of work our where I went wrong.

It is quite a difficult scale but actually the kit for them most part was very well thought out.

Thanks all for stopping by.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Congratulations on a great result there Andrew:thumb2:,
As one who saw this, bagged up,in the flesh,i can certainly vouch for just how tiny this is!!
A Cracking build there mate..... i love it :cool: !!
Andy

Thanks Andy!! Much appreciated. Most importantly thanks for sending it so me. It opened up my eyes to a type of kit I'd not thought about doing before.

ATB

Andrew

Last edited: