Andrew's 1/100 Revell UH-1H Gunship

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Shame the two fuselage halves didn't behave but it looks as if you've sorted it. Glad the masking went ok because helicopters do have a lot of glass.
Jim
Thanks Jim. Unfortunately, as I expected the primer coat showed up I didn't have it quite sorted. I'll have another go later this week.

As you though they do have a lot of glass and I was having kitten ate the thought of doing the masks on the actual kit but fortunately doing it he way I did seemed to work ok. We'll just have see what happens when the masks come off......

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think you are headed in the right direction Andy and I am looking forward to seeing how you made out with the window tinting. Not seen many models in 1/100 scale.....any particular reason for this or was it just in the stash?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I think you are headed in the right direction Andy and I am looking forward to seeing how you made out with the window tinting. Not seen many models in 1/100 scale.....any particular reason for this or was it just in the stash?

Thanks Rick, glad you're enjoying it. As for the kit, I had it in the stash courtesy of Andy aka The Smythe Meister.

Someone had mentioned the Robert Mason book Chickenhawk in a thread we had on 'good reads' last Spring. I bought a 2nd hand copy as I'd not read it and mentioned I didn't know a huge amount about Vietnam when showing it in the Latest Acquisitions thread. As a result Andy sent me the kit as he knew I worked on small scale kits.

As for 1/100 aka 15mm, its actually a very popular wargaming scale (example link below) but I have only found one other Huey online in this scale, so in this case it's almost unique.

Thanks as always for stopping by.

All the best.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good Andrew, especially considering the miniscule size of your chopper...
Pete :tongue-out3:

Thanks Pete, it's not coming on too badly so far.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So apologies for not being around much the last couple of weeks but work has been EXTREMELY busy.....I nearly walked out of the office Friday before last, it got that bad and that is not my style....... :sad: :sad: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Anyway, as I expected the mis-fitting of the two fuselage halves - my fault entirely - left some nasty seam lines and gaps, which took two attempts and two lots of primer to clear up the worst of. I decided to not have another go on the last bits - it's only a cheap kit and it was meant to be a quick and fun built - and besides the remaining imperfections aren't visible at a normal view distance.

Anyway below it is in it's beautiful grey, Halford's can primer, ready for this tonight's AB session but more about that tomorrow.

ATB

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andrew,
Sorry to hear about your work hassles, hope it eases off for you soon :smiling3:
Seems you've had a right old battle with the Huey, but looks to be nicely repaired under the primer there ;)
Some real colour going on will bring it "to life" too,so I've got a good feeling about your final outcome :smiling3:
Keep it up Sir!!
Andy

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Sorry to hear about your work hassles, hope it eases off for you soon :smiling3:
Seems you've had a right old battle with the Huey, but looks to be nicely repaired under the primer there ;)
Some real colour going on will bring it "to life" too,so I've got a good feeling about your final outcome :smiling3:
Keep it up Sir!!
Andy
Thanks Andy.

Fortunately I have a very good line manager and director above me who recognise the pressure I'm under and they are very supportive..... whilst other colleagues in the team are very supportive too. We're just not allowed to recruit more staff which is what it actually needs.....I am our company's only subject matter expert on the particular topic i deal with and without going into details, certain recent world events are causing a LOT of extra work..... And that was after the proverbial camel's back was broken by the proverbial straw about six weeks ago....

As for the chopper, glad you're enjoying it. Any fit problems are entirely my fault unfortunately... It almost makes me want to do another one. You don't have any more in the stash do you? ;) :smiling5:

I've got the main colours on now and done the main rota blade colour as well as sticky outy tail plane-ish bits too.... I've even added what I hope will be something that will spark comment and discussion.... Pictures will have to wait to the weekend though, as we off to Edinburgh for three days on Tuesday as it's our 20th wedding anniversary.

Thanks again for the kit.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Stay cool Andy. Life's too short to let work - or a bit of plastic get to you. A life long Aussie mate of mine once said " If things get to you, just go outside and smell the flowers!"

The model is shaping up nicely. Your perseverance is paying off big time.

I usually avoid cities, but about three years ago me and the bride went on the train from Chester to Edinburgh, stayed 4 days and I fell in love with the place and would go back again tomorrow. We stayed at the Travel lodge by Waverley Station and ate (and drank) at the 'Spoons' close by. Magic!

Have a great time, we did!

Ron

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Stay cool Andy. Life's too short to let work - or a bit of plastic get to you. A life long Aussie mate of mine once said " If things get to you, just go outside and smell the flowers!"

The model is shaping up nicely. Your perseverance is paying off big time.

I usually avoid cities, but about three years ago me and the bride went on the train from Chester to Edinburgh, stayed 4 days and I fell in love with the place and would go back again tomorrow. We stayed at the Travel lodge by Waverley Station and ate (and drank) at the 'Spoons' close by. Magic!

Have a great time, we did!

Ron
Thanks Ron, glad to have you on board and glad you like it.

We've actually been to Edinburgh before, before the kids turned up. We're not that far from Waverley station and not that far from a model shop....... And I think I may be visiting it whilst I'm there!! ;)

Thanks again for stopping by!

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Congratulations to you both on your anniversary. You'll enjoy Edinburgh. We have enjoyed staying there a few times
I'm glad the seam line is sorted
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I used to attend meetings at HSE in Edinburgh quite often. On three consecutive occasions, in three different hotels, there was a fire alarm, two of them in the early hours of the morning, the other one just after I'd sat down with a pint and a plate of fish and chips. It's an interesting city though.
Pete

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Congratulations to you both on your anniversary. You'll enjoy Edinburgh. We have enjoyed staying there a few times
I'm glad the seam line is sorted
Jim
Looking forward to the next stage Andrew
I used to attend meetings at HSE in Edinburgh quite often. On three consecutive occasions, in three different hotels, there was a fire alarm, two of them in the early hours of the morning, the other one just after I'd sat down with a pint and a plate of fish and chips. It's an interesting city though.
Pete
Thx guys.

Just waiting to take off. Found the model shop close to the hotel but refrained - in part because they didn't have most of what I was looking for - and where they did it was stupidly expensive...... About a 1/3 more than I can find it on other sites.....

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gentleman, I regret to inform you both that none of the cake is left......!!!!

......where it has gone, I have no idea but suffice to say I'm unable to comment on unsubstantiated rumours that flecks of a funny colour green paint were found in the vicinity..... :anguished: :dizzy: ;)
It was very nice too .Can you thank your daughter Andrew .

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew, never mind the model shops. You should have rooted out the 5, or is it 6 Wetherspoons dotted around the city!

Sorry Ron!! No Wetherspoons for us this time around but we did have an EXCEPTIONAL Argentinian steak for our anniversary dinner!!! :smiling::smiling:

It was very nice too .Can you thank your daughter Andrew .
I will do do John....next time though I think it would be polite for you to at least say hello!! ;) :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi al

So thanks again for the congratulations on meeting our milestone! We had a great time in Edinburgh.

One of the more interesting things we discovered were the Edinburgh vaults. Never heard of them but a fascinating story!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Vaults
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Edinburgh-Vaults/

Anyway back to the model......

What follows was actually done last weekend just before we went away but I didn't have time to post the pictures.

The Revell call out for the main body was Nato Olive 46 but a quick bit of research revealed it was normally referred to as Olive Drab, with a bit more revealing it was apparently noticeably lighter post 1965. It also apparently varied from a mid-ish green to an off-green/brown colour. I also found an interesting shot demonstrating how much it could vary, as you'll see below.

To achieve the colour, I mixed equal ratios of Vallejo's Model Air Green RLM62 (71.104) and Brown Violet RLM81 (71.264), with one of the doors getting a coat of straight RLM81 as per the photo below to demonstrate where it had been replaced at a later date. The OD is a bit lighter than I intended but I think it works well enough, although it's a tad greener in real life.

The tips of the rotor blades and 'tail plane' wingy looking things (sorry don't know the official name) were given a coat of Red (71.102) as per the instructions - I was surprised how much it took to get a proper red colour rather than a variation of dark pink/off red.

The instructions called for a very dark grey for the rotor blades, so I did a mix of Black (71.057) and Black Grey RLM66 (71.055) in equal measures.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

--------------------------------------------

My inspiration photo.....

1647649562361.png

My 'homage' to the above photo.....