Andrew's 1/35 North Africa Vignette (SimonT Tribute GB)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

So I've been plodding on with this.

The tracks are now rusted, the stowage has been painted and pin wash applied to the wheels.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

PS sorry for the slightly blurry nature of some of the pictures.

-------------------------

So the tracks were painted using Life Color's Rust and Dust set as described in my post here, with those parts most in contact with the ground, plus the insides, that were in contract with the road wheels, idlers and sprockets getting a dry brush with Humbrol's metallic Gun Metal (H53). It will all be toned down with a dust covering to help it blend in a bit.

51081097672_67e1d6e52a_b.jpg

I'm not going use all of the stowage for this build but I decided to paint it all nonetheless, given that I had all the paints out.

It looks a bit 'shiny' because, to protect it for weathering and especially for the unused pieces in storage, I've given it an initial coat of Pledge's polish - maybe not the 'done' thing but especially for the pieces in storage I don't want to have to repaint them at some point in the future.

51081004816_c3fa69d022_b.jpg

51080309158_08d683a69e_b.jpg

So the wheels have all had a pin wash. It looks a bit stark now but I'll tone it with some dust - hopefully later today.

51011820390_8aaa0164ba_b.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like you are getting down to brass tacks on this Andy.....Sorry for my long absence, but I've had a good read through from where I left off and I am IMPRESSED. Your attention to detail is spot on and I love the way that the stowage came out. Can't wait to see what's next. :thumb2: Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
stowage looks great Andrew...cant wait to see this all come together
Looking good Andrew
Looks like you are getting down to brass tacks on this Andy.....Sorry for my long absence, but I've had a good read through from where I left off and I am IMPRESSED. Your attention to detail is spot on and I love the way that the stowage came out. Can't wait to see what's next. :thumb2: Rick H.
Thanks gents for the support, much appreciated - and Rick no problem. I can't keep up with half of what goes on on here.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow it will be finished.

All the best.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I'm calling the tank finished!!

Tracks have been added. In hindsight I should have added an extra link because one set nearly came apart but I managed to rescue it. The other set stubbornly refused to say connected and so I had to another link in. I then had to glue back on the idler teeth I'd cut off to make the tracks fit. Unfortunately, they're so small a couple pinged off into the distance but it's not that obvious that they're missing unless you look very closely.

I gave it a very light dust wash/filter of Life Color's Dust 2 from their Rust and Dust set as it has a yellowish tinge. The initial mix was tested on the bottom was too thick but has worked ok on the whole. I wanted the weathering to be fairly subtle and not too over the top, which I think I've achieved.

The stowage has been added. Some of it is in what might appear to be odd locations, this is because I plan to have the tank in a location where its been parked-up for a while. Most of it has been given the same dust wash as the tank but some of it has been left undusted to represent a situation where it's only recently been placed out in the open. One has been given a very heavy wash to represent where it's been covered in dust/sand somehow. I tried creating some cloths/tarpaulin using some glass cleaning cloths, which shows some promise but I still need to work on a bit.

All comments and observations welcome as usual.

All the best.

Andrew

-----------------------------

The cloths I tried doing......

51101517386_ea78247616_b.jpg

51101598024_931fa5bced_b.jpg

51101615307_ed4696c2ae_b.jpg

The idler teeth I had to reattach....

51101517371_6ef4e7d7f8_b.jpg

The finished tank.....for better or worse......

51106483848_436970f65b_b.jpg

51106483878_89b10faafb_b.jpg

51106329639_4b9946ed36_b.jpg

51106329614_24e7afa2db_b.jpg

51106329609_d0a55e1c89_b.jpg

For scale comparison purposes.....a 1/72 Tiger II and Tamiya TET bottle (sorry for the blurry pic).

51106329604_5c3d68e044_b.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
That is a great result - bet you're pleased :tongue-out3:
Well done sorting the tracks. They are so often the pain in a build. The weathering is spot on. Just right for what you set out to achieve.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Andrew. Worth all the effort. The finish is nice and crisp and the stowage brings it all to life.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice build Andrew. It definitely looks the part.......will you be adding a "Commander", or did he forget his helmet when he scarpered? :smiling3: Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
That is a great result - bet you're pleased :tongue-out3:
Well done sorting the tracks. They are so often the pain in a build. The weathering is spot on. Just right for what you set out to achieve.
Jim

Jim

Thanks very much. I really am very pleased. As always there a few things I would have done differently but that's part of the learning but nonetheless I really very pleased with it indeed!

Looks great Andrew. Worth all the effort. The finish is nice and crisp and the stowage brings it all to life.

Thanks indeed Tim. The stowage does bring it to life doesn't it. Next up is the figures. I'm actually looking forward to having a go at them and have even put together a DIY wet pallet using a dishcloth sponge, baking paper and a plastic take away box. If it work out well I might even invest in a proper one at some point.

Nice build Andrew. It definitely looks the part.......will you be adding a "Commander", or did he forget his helmet when he scarpered? :smiling3: Rick H.

Thanks Rick!. Don't worry I will be using the commander and indeed some of the other figures, so watch this space.

Thanks as always gents for stopping by.

All the best.

Andrew

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Nice finish Andrew, looks like a typical desert war tank, loaded with everything the crew might conceivably need.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Certainly has come out well Andrew. Really like the finish you've achieved on that tarp in the center of the photo.Perfection in my mind.

View attachment 419699

John

Thanks for the feedback and support.

On the tarp - coming from you I'll take that as real compliment. I didn't want to say anything at the time but it was favourite too. It was the highlight colour I was struggling with and then had a look at the Airfix paints I got when I came back to the hobby and their Dark Earth (29 I think) jumped out. A shade or two lighter than the base but not too light.

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice finish Andrew, looks like a typical desert war tank, loaded with everything the crew might conceivably need.
Fantastic finish Andrew..

Graeme, Jo

Thanks very much for the support. For once I'm looking at something and thinking could I have done better? I don't think I could for my first 1/35 kit.

Thanks again.

Andrew