Andrew's 1/48 Eduard Avia B.534 iv ProfiPack

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

I hope you're all having a good break over the holiday period and most importantly are getting some decent bench time!

So with 1st January looming and like some of you have already done, I thought I'd start my thread although I won't start the build process until I have finished my Jagdpanthers.

So this is the first biplane I have built since coming back to the hobby, although I am sure I built one back in my youth - a Hawker Fury I think - of no doubt dubious quality! I chose this because I thought it had not rigging which turns out to be wrong but it's not that much.

As for the plane itself, from what I can gather this plane appears to be a contemporary of the like of Britain's Gloster Gladiator (apparently both first flew in 1933/1934) and the slightly later Fiat CR.42 (first flight 1938). And of course like them was virtually obsolete even before it took to the air.

As such it's a pre-war design, although like it's contemporaries it did see combat in WWII. Somewhat ironically, although this is a Czech fighter, according to the instructions and a number of online sources, it only ever saw combat with Axis forces, in particular the fascist Slovak State Airforce whose squadrons took part in both the invasion of Poland in 1939 and Operation Barbarossa in June 1941. It also apparently holds the record for the last know biplane kill of WWII, when one shooting down a Hungarian Ju 52/3m during the 1944 National Slovak Uprising.

As you can see, I'm continuing with 1/48 scale for this build. According to Scalemates this was first released in 2007, albeit I have it in one of their new design boxes (date unknown) and it is in the newer dark grey plastic, unlike my recent Yak. The reviews of this kit and it's closely related versions are all unfailingly good, so I'm hoping for good thing from this build. I certainly can't see any obvious flash on the sprues, despite the age of the moulds.

Below is the usual set of pre-build taster pics.

ACW as usual

Andrew

Useful links:

www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-8192-avia-b534-iv-serie--115338
www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/eduard8192reviewbg_1.htm
modelingmadness.com/review/axis/previews/534p.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avia_B-534

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in Andrew, I've only built a few planes and one was indeed a biplane. Good luck, but sure you will succeed.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks a good choice. Not sure I have seen one of those before.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent choice of subject andrew , looks a lovely kit too. Ive often been tempted by one of these , albeit the 1/72 weekend version. The PE looks interesting - lots of TINY bits to ping off the tweezers ! I’ll be watching this one , cheers tony

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I'm in Andrew, I've only built a few planes and one was indeed a biplane. Good luck, but sure you will succeed.
That looks a good choice. Not sure I have seen one of those before.
Excellent choice of subject andrew , looks a lovely kit too. Ive often been tempted by one of these , albeit the 1/72 weekend version. The PE looks interesting - lots of TINY bits to ping off the tweezers ! I’ll be watching this one , cheers tony

Thanks chaps. It is something different, isn't it?!?

I keep thinking that if you turned it into a monoplane and replaced the fixed undercarriage with a retractable one, it wouldn't be a bad looking aircraft.

Ian - I haven't seen one done either, until I started doing my research on the build.

Tony - you had to go and mention tiny PE didn't you!! I mean really.....I've not even looked at it yet and you've aready got me sweating!! ;) :cold-sweat::smiling5:

Thanks again for stopping by and I'll try not to let you down!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
There are some very interesting late biplane fighters out there, and not many with an enclosed cockpit

That looks a nice kit Andrew, looking forward to seeing this progress.

Thanks guys! I hope to do it justice!

Chris - I will be honest in that I chose this fit because it had a closed cockpit. I've not done an open 'pit yet but the thought of doing my first biplane in decades with an open cockpit was too much! :smiling5:

Thanks again chaps!

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Another interesting subject. Eduard do seem to produce decent kits though.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great choice of kit Andrew. Looks to be up to the usual Eduard standard and should build well.
I do know a little about this aircraft, which can’t be said of all the subjects in this GB, an interesting looking aircraft and a little bit out of the ordinary.

Good luck with the build!
Cheers
Paul

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Another interesting subject. Eduard do seem to produce decent kits though.
Great choice of kit Andrew. Looks to be up to the usual Eduard standard and should build well.
I do know a little about this aircraft, which can’t be said of all the subjects in this GB, an interesting looking aircraft and a little bit out of the ordinary.

Good luck with the build!
Cheers
Paul

Colin, Paul

Thanks joining the build and your support.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That looks a nice kit Andrew, looking forward to seeing this progress.

Ian

Just to let you know that I have not forgotten about this GB. Unfortunately, for various reasons, I have not been able to start it yet. :loudly-crying:

That said, I should start cutting the plastic at club night on Tuesday evening.

ATB

Andrew