Andrew's 1/48 Tamiya J2M3 Raiden aka Jack (Andy's WWII Japanese Aircraft GB)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good afternoon all

So as promised, below are the final pictures of this completed. Andy, thanks again for running this GB!

You'll have to forgive me but I have not had the time to do the usual background historical research but I have found two pictures of the plane in service, albeit in a more worn state than my homage!

The original build blog can be found here: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/andrews-1-48-tamiya-raiden.41818/.

So without further ado.....

The kit, aftermarket parts, paints and finish:
  • Tamiya 61018 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden (Jack) .
  • Master AM-48-021 - Type 99 20mm Mark 2 metal gun barrels
  • Techmod decals 48038 Japanese Hinomaru
  • Dead Design VM48 012 Canopy mask
  • Paints: Exterior - Vallejo Model Air. Interior and pilot – mostly Vallejo Model Air/Colour.
  • Weathering: Flory Wash Dark Dirt
This kit dates back to 1973 and so is almost as old as me.

As you will have seen the wing root step caused some 'mild' issues and I had a go at scratching a radio to replace the kit blob behind the pilot's head. However, for a kit that is as old as that and that cost less than £14, I have to give it some allowances.

As you know, I decided to represent the aircraft before it had seen much action and so kept the weathering muted. I also deliberately painted the drop tank as though it was brand new to bring a bit of variation.

So what do I think of the process and finished article, accepting it perhaps not the correct shade of green?

As always and with the exception of the wing root step, all of the serious problems were of my own making.

All of that said, I have to say that I really enjoyed the process and whist I can obviously look back and find fault here and there, I have to say I have enjoyed the build and am really pleased with how it turned out.....just remember this is the first ever 1/48 plane kit I have built!

Oh and one other thing.....damn it's big....certainly compared to my usual 1/72 wingy efforts!

Oh and you can also see a lot of detail in the cockpit than in 1/72!!

Thanks again to everyone for their support on the journey and sorry for the number of pictures below.

ATB.

Andrew

-----------------------------------------

The real plane

Source: Mitsubishi J2M Raiden (Jack) (Yellow Series 6110) Robert Peczkowski

My homage....

Comparison with a 1/72 109

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Andrew I think that is a cracking result. Nice to see a pilot in the cockpit. The finish is excellent. You should be proud of that.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excellent build and finish, Andrew. Big sod isn't it ? Love the shot with the pilot. I've lived in apartments smaller than that cockpit.
John.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well Andrew I think that is a cracking result. Nice to see a pilot in the cockpit. The finish is excellent. You should be proud of that.
Excellent build and finish, Andrew. Big sod isn't it ? Love the shot with the pilot. I've lived in apartments smaller than that cockpit.
John.
A great model Andrew :thumb2: and the pilot's facial expression acknowledges it ;).

Thanks chaps. I'm very pleased with it.

John - it's not small is it. Fortunately, the angle of the canopy plus the pilot means it's hard to see the lack of detail inside!!

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening

So having done the above comparison shot with the 1/72 109, I was curious as to how it compared to the 109 in reality. Obviously it's a much fatter aircraft but that could be misleading given the differences in scale.

So it turns out there is actually not that much difference.....the 109 was only 74.5cm shorter than the Raiden and the wingspan was only 87.5cm less....less than 10% in each direction.

The surface area though was 20% smaller.....16.05 msq on the 109 vs 20.05 msq on the Raiden.

By good fortune the Raiden book I got has 1/72 plans of the J2M3 in it and as you can see the Raiden really was a fat aircraft....I couldn't quite get the angle right but you get the idea!

Thanks again for the support and the feedback!

ATB

Andrew

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A lovely result Andrew, with subtle and appropriate weathering.