Andrew's 1/72 ATTACK SdKfz234 - Camo!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So this was a freebie from a member of our model club who started it one evening but it was too small for his liking and so he gave it to me for nothing! It's also the last of my victims of my mass AB sessions (link HERE).

This is actually a reboxed Roden kit - I know because the sprues still had Roden on them. The turret, commander and hatch are actually resin and for some reason I got two sets. The barrels for the main and co-axial gun are very nice brass pieces.

It's been plodding along in the background for a while now and unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the sprues or build process. The hull itself went together fine and was a nice to work with grey plastic. The suspension though was made from a cheaper and slightly flexible black plastic that wasn't great to work with. On the plus side it does have a lot of tools and stowage!

My main problem though is that I've misplaced half of the road wheels at some point! DOH!!!
:(
???
I've had a quick look through my in progress kit boxes but without luck so far! Looks like I'll have to carry out a thorough search......here's hoping!!

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

--------------------------------------

Box

41654633361_1f9a495c88_b.jpg

Instructions - you can just make out the sprue layout on the bottom left hand corner

49783411116_267a2a62b2_b.jpg

49782871228_bc5b63ba41_b.jpg

Primed

49755747283_b34cbcdbb0_b.jpg

49755747728_73fdbe0aa7_b.jpg

My take on dunkelgelb

49779806496_855b780f67_b.jpg

49779273283_743d037457_b.jpg

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Was not aware of this version. Pretty cool. Turret & tires look very well rendered. Much better than the main body. PaulE

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Andrew,

Not very inspiring box art - wouldn't make me want to buy it

What happened to the exhausts? Part 23a clearly shows the link pipes that should run from hull to large silencer boxes on the wheel arches but they don't appear on the model :thinking:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Not very inspiring box art - wouldn't make me want to buy it

What happened to the exhausts? Part 23a clearly shows the link pipes that should run from hull to large silencer boxes on the wheel arches but they don't appear on the model :thinking:

Hi Simon

Thanks for stopping by.

I have to agree with you on the box art and If I'm honest the kit itself, and especially a couple of unclear parts on the instructions. It's certainly not one I'd buy again but then I got it for free so I can't really complain.

As for the link pipes that's my fault. I do have them but the build stalled a while ago and I finished the the turret quickly last week having made a last minute decision to put it under the AB during my mass session,. Only later did I realise that the pipes were still in the bag. DOH!

In making me look at the kit more closely, you've also made me realise the the muffler could be better done - on mine it has a tall ridge of plastic rather than a pipe as it should do, so I'll be addressing that at some point.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Andrew, Hope you and the family are well.
Not seen this variant before, watching with interest :nerd:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew, Hope you and the family are well.
Not seen this variant before, watching with interest :nerd:

Thanks Si!! We're doing ok. I'm just hoping the missing wheels turns up!!!!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So yet another victim of the AB session! And again a bit of an experiment on colour combinations. This time Vallejo Model Air 'Medium Olive' (71.092) and Vallejo Model Air 'Medium Olive' (71.092).

At the time I knew it was a very unusual version as others have commented on and so took some liberties with the camo to further experiment with a different pattern. Anyway I did some more digging and not only found some more footage but a very short video clip of it as it surrendered to US forces in Czechoslovakia.

The model company has this to say about it:

"The unique vehicle combines the chassis of the German heavy AFV Sd.Kfz.234 with turref ot the light tank Panzer II Ausf. L "Luchs". This vehicle has been documented at the end of the war in northern and western Bohemia during the Wehrmacht retreat westward to Pilsen. It was not an experimental vehicle, but a fully functional combat car, which was involved in the fighting with Czech partisans and insurgents. Given the various places and details of the vehicle, it has not been clear whether it was one or two vehicles."
Link HERE.

Onthewaymodels

"This is a very elusive vehicle, with only a couple of pictures known of one vehicle most likely in Czechoslovakia in May 1945, possibly belonging to 17 Pz Div [9]. It is not clear from the available information if the turret could turn. The pictures show two headlights, so it is most likely based on the Sd.Kfz.234/2. As word has it that more than one vehicle was so converted..."
Link HERE.

Again more metalwork up next.

ATB and ACW.

Andrew

-------------------------------------

The VERY short video clip.

My attempt.....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A very nice representation of the original Andy. Great to see
Thanks Steve. I wish I'd have found the clip first, so I could make a better go at recreating it!

ATB

Andrew