Andrew's 2x AZ Model Bf 109 G-6 - JG300 'Wilde Sau' (The Hunters and the Hunted)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew looks great the pilots is nice you did a good job on him. The office details are very nice you could put a little super glue on the joints where the gaps are and sand them that might help but to me that canopy might hide them anyway.
Thanks Lee and glad you like it.

I managed to fill the worst of the hole from the rear with a drop or two of Revell Contacta, as the wings weren't on at the time. Although the repair is visible under the optivisor, is barely visible with the naked eye and so the canopy should cover the rest.

I had a good session this afternoon and so I'm nearly at the point where primer can fly.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I had a good session this afternoon
Andrew I think me and you both did first time for awhile I enjoyed working on a “Wingy”. Looking forward to the Prime State. Glad you were able to fix the Gaps to your liking.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the build process has now been completed. Again, there have been fit issues, mainly with the blisters that cover the MG gun breaches - not auwful....just not good.

The good news is that the canopies fit very well.

It's also been my first encounter with AM canopy masks and I've got say......

........I love them!!!

The kit comes with some that worked pretty well. However, I also used some Montex ones, as one of the kits didn't have the masks as it should have done - and I have to say I was was very impressed (they'r black in the below pic).

I think it only took 10-15 minutes tops....my DIY masks on my 110 took well over an hour....so I'm glad I've invested in ones for all my wingy kits.

Next up primer.....some bits have been left off as they'll be easier to paint that way - or they can easily be broken off.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I love the Montex masks. They fit a little better than the Eduard ones imho. Also you can get the insignia masks with them which means you can paint them on and fade them.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
You're winning. Glad you got the pilot to fit, no one will know he's had major surgery. Canopy masks do save a lot of time especially for canopies with many separate sections.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another fan of the Montex vinyl masks here. They have a bit more 'stretch' than the paper Eduard ones, so they conform better on curved surfaces. If you're careful with them, I think they can be used again.
Pete

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I love the Montex masks. They fit a little better than the Eduard ones imho. Also you can get the insignia masks with them which means you can paint them on and fade them.
Hi Andrew
You're winning. Glad you got the pilot to fit, no one will know he's had major surgery. Canopy masks do save a lot of time especially for canopies with many separate sections.
Jim
Another fan of the Montex vinyl masks here. They have a bit more 'stretch' than the paper Eduard ones, so they conform better on curved surfaces. If you're careful with them, I think they can be used again.
Pete

Thanks for the support chaps and glad to hear my Montex experience wasn't a one off. I actually got some insignia masks with my Whitley Montex canopy masks, I wasn't planning on getting them but they came with it for a very good price.

Jim - TBH I think is was more akin to butchery than surgery!! :smiling5:

Primer should be flowing fairly soon!

ATB.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking good Andrew glad the Mask worked out for you I can never make them work for me so I just free hand it

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Andrew glad the Mask worked out for you I can never make them work for me so I just free hand it
Thanks Lee.

Perhaps I got lucky with the masks. I was really worried how it would go but I don't think it could have gone any better.

More pics to follow soon!!

ATB

Andrew

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Not a make of masks I've heard of but after using a couple of Eduard canopy masks recently I'm a definite convert

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not a make of masks I've heard of but after using a couple of Eduard canopy masks recently I'm a definite convert

Morning Mick

I only came across Montex when starting to get the maskz I needed for all my planes. And I only got them because in some cases they seemed to be the only ones available for a reasonable price, or at all in a couple of cases - the other ones I've got are mostly Eduard plus some P-Mask

I am definitely never going back to DIY masks unless absolutely necessary. The convenience and amount of time they saved is definitely worth the relatively small cost.

ATB.

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

I used the Montex set on my Bf109 nightfighter build (link in my signature). I found them great to work with and ha no paint bleed under them.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Modellus Biblicus (MKJV**)

The Book of Sprues Ch 1 vs 24-30

And so it came to pass that by the thirteenth day the Modelling Gods had made the liquid that doeth change the colour of plastic, the device that dost squash the very air beyond all belief and the stick that doeth hiss like the serpent.

On the sixth day the Gods spoke forth in union, with a sound that shook the foundations of the very universe, saying.........."Let there be primer!!!!"

And lo the primer did come forth in great abundance from the stick that doeth hiss. As it came forth, it spread and settled on the plastic forms that stood before all of creation. And when the Modelling Gods saw the the primer settle they were awe and it agreed that it was most excellent!!!

And behold, there was great rejoicing within the heavenly stash. Great choirs of cherubim and seraphim sung the Modelling Gods' praises, for the dreaded enemy of the Gods, The Tip that Drieth, had not commeth to pass!!!

Then the Gods said "Let the Fourteenth day be a day of rest". This was to allow man and the device that dost squash the air to regain their strength. But above all it was to let the primer cureth to it's fullest extent, lest the bonds of plastic and primer that the Modelling Gods had ordained before the beginning of time be broken beyond repair."

Here endeth the lesson.

Your opinion on the forms below would be most welcome.

Thy most humble servant.

Andrew of the Order of the Bull the dost Charge

**Modelling King James Version. Used with permission.

........................OK so now I've got that out of my system. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. FYI I used Vallejo primer.

Any imperfections are done to the build process.

All comments welcome as usual.

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Andrew,

That primer came out really well and smooth as silk. Top job Buddy, but I think you really need to stop drinking that cheap sherry before posting my friend......Just a thought...........

Prost
Allen

PS, that is really a cool quote too!!!.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Praise da Lord. T'is good to see that primer so silky and smooth. Give thanks to da Father in heaven.

Looks to have gone well.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
May thy words, and works, resonate across the Ages O Taurean One!
Steve
Morn Andrew,

That primer came out really well and smooth as silk. Top job Buddy, but I think you really need to stop drinking that cheap sherry before posting my friend......Just a thought...........

Prost
Allen

PS, that is really a cool quote too!!!.....
Verily thou hast done well Andrew.
Pete
Praise da Lord. T'is good to see that primer so silky and smooth. Give thanks to da Father in heaven.

Looks to have gone well.

Thanks chaps, glad you're liking it!!

Allen - wish I could blame the sherry!! I don't drink......never acquired the taste for alcohol....perhaps I should keep an eye out for Matron!! ;) :smiling5:

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So some paint has managed to fly over the past few days.

Props are now complete, kit 1 has the fully black spinner and the kit 2 has the black and yellow spinner.

The props are done the customary RLM70 - Schwarzgrun, with RLM04 Yellow on the nose as appropriate.

However, the black isn't actually 'true' black, rather an 'off' black. I figured at this scale especially, solid black would look too much, especially as the undersides will be black and so I used the spinners as an opportunity to experiment.

I mixed Vallejo's Model Air Black (71.057) and RLM66 Black Grey (71.055) at a ratio of 3:1 and I think it looks ok, at least on the spinners.

I've also blocked out the panels with mottling prior to the main coat on kit 1. I used Vallejo's Model Air RLM76 Light Blue (71.257) all over even though the underside will be black. The topside will be RLM76 all over, with some dark grey squiggles over the top.

This is only the second time I have done this and although a couple of panels are slightly overdone, I'm really quite pleased with it, although I could have been a bit tighter on one wing.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

--------------------------------

Last edited: