Andrew's completed 1/72 Revell Pak 40 crews x2 (plus guns)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good morning all

So as some of you will know, I've been dabbling in the dark art of figure painting thanks in no small part to our very own Tim Marlow.

Figured painting scared the ^%&$% out of me but thanks in no small part to Tim's figure painting SBS (starting HERE) I think I have got that particular monkey off my back.

These are Revell rebox of a 2007 Italeri set. Whilst the Italeri set is made from hard plastic, these are made from that horrible soft and greasy plastic and as a result I nearly threw them away - I could bend the barrel through 360 degrees if I really wanted to. This meant they sat in the stash half done for a number of years.

I'm glad I didn't through them away though, as the figures are actually pretty nicely sculpted - shells aside - and so represented a good set to practice on for my 1/35 build diorama. The gun is obviously a bit on the heavy side as it's aimed at wargaming.

The crews are dressed in a range of great coats, combat smocks and trouser and winter parkas. As my German forces are nominally the 9 SS Pz Division, I thought I'd have a go at the Oak Leaf Pattern - both autumn and winter versions, just to break it up a bit. - plus field grey for the great coats. Full details on the colour schemes can be found HERE. I've tried to mix it up a bit so, you will see the odd deliberate mismatch on helmet and uniform colours.

These aren't perfect and aren't going to set the modelling world alight but nonetheless represent a real modelling breakthrough for me. Unfortunately though, the fact I nearly threw them away meant I wasn't very particular when assembling the guns and so the odd seam line is visible. :disappointed2:

All comments welcome as usual and Tim a massive thank you again!

ATB

Andrew

MODS - I realise this could sit in an arty thread but as this was about the figure painting for me I've put in 'Figure's instead. Hope that's ok. If not please move it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To give you an idea of scale, all the figures are mounted on pennies:

51381363237_ef3990d118_b.jpg

51383135000_32c58fcfbe_b.jpg

51382863414_9f8c8ea520_b.jpg

51383134900_b2e5db5636_b.jpg

51383134895_f485bb17fd_b.jpg

51383134905_b3360bfdcb_b.jpg

51383134995_3ede65a62e_b.jpg

And with the guns.....

51382863519_be9b5d62c0_b.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andrew. The line dancing team is increasing in numbers I see. Not been called “our very only” often though LOL….
Not sure how you use these on the tabletop, but have you come across these? They are great for basing artillery and still being able to remove casualties.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Andrew. The line dancing team is increasing in numbers I see. Not been called “our very only” often though LOL….
Not sure how you use these on the tabletop, but have you come across these? They are great for basing artillery and still being able to remove casualties.
Thanks and oops. Can't even bought autocorrect as I did that on my laptop.....

Thanks for base link. Had a quick look and look interesting. Will have a proper look later.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andrew.
Excellent finish on both the figures and Paks.

Top job!

Perfection? There is no such thing and if you come across anyone who thinks their work is just that - Avoid!

We just do our best, right?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Those figures are very well done. I would be more than happy with that result - figures and guns.
Figured painting scared the ^%&$% out of me but thanks in no small part to Tim's figure painting SBS (starting HERE) I think I have got that particular monkey off my back.
That says it all - a new skill and confidence for the future.
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew.
Excellent finish on both the figures and Paks.

Top job!

Perfection? There is no such thing and if you come across anyone who thinks their work is just that - Avoid!

We just do our best, right?
Thanks very much Ron, much appreciated. And we are all our own worst critics but I really am genuinely pleased with them.

Thanks for stopping by!

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Those figures are very well done. I would be more than happy with that result - figures and guns.

That says it all - a new skill and confidence for the future.
Jim

Thanks Jim. Much appreciated. They have turned out pretty well and even the dreaded digital zoom has not wreaked havoc with the final shot.

As for the new skill, very much indeed. That said it did take me a week or more to pluck up courage to have a go at the camo but I needed have worried and it was far quicker than I thought it would be.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work Andy. The camo pattern has come out particularly well. I would be well pleased if these were my models. Great stuff :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :cool:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes agree with Paul, and so did the committee

2020DB.jpg

Nice one Andrew.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Saw this on my phone earlier today Andrew.......
Wanted to see properly,the details before i commented......
I have to say ,that those teeny weeny figures of yours there are absolutely awesome mate:cool:,i am so envious!!
Superb skills right there,and you can credit Tim all you like,(Which is the right thing to do BTW:thumb2:)...... but YOU still had to be the guy behind the brush!!
Well done indeed Sir,
Andy

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Superb work Andrew, I’d be very pleased if my figures turned out anywhere near as good as these!
Excellent work mate, nothing wrong with those you nailed it.
Great work Andy. The camo pattern has come out particularly well. I would be well pleased if these were my models. Great stuff :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :cool:
Andy,
There is nowt wrong with them mate nicely done.

View attachment 431728

Nice one Andrew.
I have to say ,that those teeny weeny figures of yours there are absolutely awesome mate:cool:,i am so envious!!
Superb skills right there,and you can credit Tim all you like,(Which is the right thing to do BTW:thumb2:)...... but YOU still had to be the guy behind the brush!!
Well done indeed Sir,
Andy
Absolutely right Andy. You took it and ran with it Andrew, I just put up a couple of pointers!
These are little beauties - lovely job!
Gents

Thanks so VERY much for the feedback. Currently away on holiday. Will reply properly when we get back.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
So now I'm back from holiday.....proper replies as promised.....

Superb work Andrew, I’d be very pleased if my figures turned out anywhere near as good as these!

Si, thanks very much indeed having seen your work over a number of years I appreciate the support. Hope all is well with you?

Excellent work mate, nothing wrong with those you nailed it.

Thanks Mick. I really am genuinely pleased with them.

Steve, thank you very much indeed.

Coming from someone of your skill - and not to mention recent award - I take that as a real compliment!! The figures have turned out to be one of those rare modelling occasions when almost everything went right from start to finish - even if my heart was in my mouth as I started to do the camo! :cold-sweat:

Andy,
There is nowt wrong with them mate nicely done.
Thanks Paul much appreciated and thanks for your support too during my figure painting trials and tribulations....

View attachment 431728

Nice one Andrew.

John, what can one say but thanks for the support!

Well done indeed Sir,
Andy
Andy

Thanks very much indeed and very pleased to hear that they stood up to increased scrutiny on a proper screen!!

And you are right that I was the guy behind the brush and that they have surpassed all my expectations but without Tim's SBS I'm not sure I'd have had the confidence to give them a go.

Thanks again.

Absolutely right Andy. You took it and ran with it Andrew, I just put up a couple of pointers!

Thank again Tim - although it was probably more like two dozen pointers. As always, much appreciated.

These are little beauties - lovely job!
Paul, Thanks very much. glad you like them.

Thanks again all for your support

Andrew

Last edited: