Andrew's Plastic Soldier Company 1/72 Pz IVs 3x - some camo!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I'm in a bit of a funk when it comes to painting, in part because I'm lacking the opportunity to get out the AB and compressor and I'm even at the point the hairy stick work doesn't motivate me.

So rather than sit looking at my paint box on the kitchen floor, I packed it away. I then decided to get these going again after being sat in a box for ages, only partially built, so that the build phase is complete ready for when the AB does come out.

As always three kits per box. Options for the short barreled Ausf F or long barreled Ausf G (early and late). Two will be done as late G's but I'm going to have a go at turning one of them into an Ausf J with, amongst other things, mesh Schurzen.

The main building part is now done, although are still a few things to complete, in particular the scratch work for the Ausf J mods. Again I have gone with metal RB Models barrels.

As usual please bear in mind these are wargaming kits and so the detail is a bit lacking and the plastic is thick in places but they do need to stand up to regular handling unlike display kits.

All comments welcome!

ATB

Andrew

PS - another reason for finishing the build is to free up space in my cupboard, as the box takes up much less space than the Chinese takeaway boxes I use!
;)
:D

--------------------------------------

Box art

30627837134_0e4964494d_c.jpg

Main build finished

49526840653_93fc1536a6_c.jpg

The left hand one will become the Ausf J

49526846783_2723f2cfcc_c.jpg

The 'length and length' tracks aren't too bad

49526849508_f907b723e9_c.jpg

Side Schurzen will be added once painted for ease of painting the moulded on tools.

49526852103_cc3d7cc053_c.jpg

The box they come in 2.6 times larger than my plastic storage 'units', meaning I have more space in the cupboard! More kits did I hear you say?!?!?
:D

49527594127_b7bbe12621_c.jpg

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi Andrew, interesting project you've got there, quite a few mods to do to make an Ausf J out of one of those kits, mostly removing things! The air filters on the track guard, the antenna trough next to it, visors in the hull sides, viewing ports on the turret front will need to be removed and a one piece commanders hatch added. The J was a rather simplified version of the Panzer IV, will be interesting to see how you get on.:thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Andrew,

Nice looking kits. Will have to keep an eye on your progress :nerd:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So as you may have seen couple of the kits saw primer as part of my mass AB session, although in taking the pics I realised that it was a bit light in a couple of places, so I've subsequently done a touch up.

What is about a nice coat of primer that does something to a kit?

The Ausf J conversion is not read for primer yet.... :sad:

ACW as usual

ATB

Andrew

49756614297_64e77fd143_b.jpg

49755752573_ebdcee78ea_b.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
They look so much better with a coat of primer. The detailing is so crisp. Great stuff

Will you be drilling out the exhaust holes later?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those PSC kits are pretty nice, certainly for wargames models. Parts may be a bit thick and the designers may have taken some shortcuts, but they build up into decent enough models.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
They look so much better with a coat of primer. The detailing is so crisp. Great stuff

Will you be drilling out the exhaust holes later?

Hi Steve

Good spot! It was a last minute decision to put this under the AB and so I missed that!.

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Those PSC kits are pretty nice, certainly for wargames models. Parts may be a bit thick and the designers may have taken some shortcuts, but they build up into decent enough models.

HI Jakko

They are pretty good for our purposes and to be honest given they're handled a lot it's probably a good that the plastic is a bit thicker than it should be!

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
HI Jakko

They are pretty good for our purposes and to be honest given they're handled a lot it's probably a good idea that the plastic is a bit thicker than it should be - I can only image the mishaps if it wasn't!!

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the two primed kits have now received a base coat of my own take on dunkelgelb.

I didn't have any 'official' paint company version in the paint box and so developed my own using a mix of khaki, a bright yellow and white.

I think it's come ok although I might have liked it a bit darker but I'd welcome your opinions - accepting of course there was a lot of variation.

ATB and stay safe in the crazy times.

Andrew

49779271888_7509f8fe99_b.jpg

49779272328_39bee63236_b.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looking forward to seeing your three colour camo pattern on these bad boys :tongue-out3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking forward to seeing your three colour camo pattern on these bad boys :tongue-out3:
That will have to wait in afraid. I did something stupid and broke the nozzle on my decent 0.2mm AB!

I've got one on order, which will hopefully work ok.

ATB

Andrew

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andrew
I like these little kits, they pack quite a bit of detail into their small size. It will be interesting to see the conversion for the Ausf J - with the different exhaust system.
Do you war-game Andrew or are these display models? I've often thought that if I was to build in this scale then I'd like to build some form of Normandy diorama/wargame setting. I have no idea how to play but I can see the appeal.
The metal barrels make one hell of a difference and (if so inclined) it wouldn't be too difficult to replace the schurzen with thinner plastic card. With regards to the colour it is difficult to say (as lighting plays a big part). To me, I'd say the 'shade' of the dunkelgelb (how dark it is) is just right. I think it could be a tad warmer in hue (ie more yellow) but this really is nitpicking. And, it it were me, I certainly wouldn't bother changing the colour as a yellow filter would probably do the job anyway. I think they look fine :thumb2:

Sorry, having re-read the post I can see that you do war-game. I'd love to see a complete battlefield scenario - that would be cool!

Cracking stuff
Paul

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Paul

Thanks for stopping buy and the support. As you say they're not bad kits at all, especially for the price - currently £19 for three kits.

I did think about replacing the schurzen but given that it will get quite a bit of handling I went for robustness over looks for better or worse.

You are right about the dunkelgelb though. I was aiming for something slightly warmer but my own specially patented mix is simple enough to tweak and so I'll do that on future builds.

The wargaming is just for me and my son on the dining room table and so my terrain is well behind the kits :disappointed2:, meaning it will be a while before I'm ready to share any battlefield pics! Sorry!!

Thanks again for stopping by.

Andrew

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul

Thanks for stopping buy and the support. As you say they're not bad kits at all, especially for the price - currently £19 for three kits.

I did think about replacing the schurzen but given that it will get quite a bit of handling I went for robustness over looks for better or worse.

You are right about the dunkelgelb though. I was aiming for something slightly warmer but my own specially patented mix is simple enough to tweak and so I'll do that on future builds.

The wargaming is just for me and my son on the dining room table and so my terrain is well behind the kits :disappointed2:, meaning it will be a while before I'm ready to share any battlefield pics! Sorry!!

Andrew
Hi Andrew
3 for under £20 - bargain! With regards to the detailing it's all horses for courses. You need a set of models that will stand up to some repeated handling and your decision not to do this is a conscious one. I wouldn't worry too much about the dunkelgelb, trying to define a specific colour (unless you're under controlled light conditions) is nigh on impossible. Your take on the colour is well within what I'd call 'the scope' that is Dunkelgelb.

I'm glad you're able to enjoy this hobby with your son (I bet he loves it) a terrific way to spend some together. The battlefield can wait, if indeed you ever wanted to build one. Everyone's skills and techniques improve over time (mine have been continually improving over some 25 years and I'm still learning!) The important thing is to just enjoy what you're doing. I genuinely do love all model making, whether that be a 1/72 aircraft comprised of 1 sprue and bought for a fiver; a scratch built, uber battleship for sailing at local events, immaculately detailed and painted 1/20 Formula one cars, Sci-Fi or the odd radio controlled tank! I am genuinely interested in what you'll make of these little kits and as long as you (and your son) are having fun then that's all that matters.

Keep posting.

Cheers
Paul

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
3 for under £20 - bargain! With regards to the detailing it's all horses for courses. You need a set of models that will stand up to some repeated handling and your decision not to do this is a conscious one. I wouldn't worry too much about the dunkelgelb, trying to define a specific colour (unless you're under controlled light conditions) is nigh on impossible. Your take on the colour is well within what I'd call 'the scope' that is Dunkelgelb.

I'm glad you're able to enjoy this hobby with your son (I bet he loves it) a terrific way to spend some together. The battlefield can wait, if indeed you ever wanted to build one. Everyone's skills and techniques improve over time (mine have been continually improving over some 25 years and I'm still learning!) The important thing is to just enjoy what you're doing. I genuinely do love all model making, whether that be a 1/72 aircraft comprised of 1 sprue and bought for a fiver; a scratch built, uber battleship for sailing at local events, immaculately detailed and painted 1/20 Formula one cars, Sci-Fi or the odd radio controlled tank! I am genuinely interested in what you'll make of these little kits and as long as you (and your son) are having fun then that's all that matters.

Keep posting.

Cheers
Paul

Paul

You should get a set a set - I have several (M5A1, M4A4, 6pdr & tows, halftracks, Sexton, 25 pdr & tows and the list goes on). If you hunt around you can often pick them up cheaper too.

My son does indeed enjoy it, although he much prefers the build stage to the painting bit.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I got some camo on a couple of weeks ago but haven't had the chance to post some pics until now.

This is my attempt at a particular scheme apparently used by the 9th SS Panzer Division in Normandy, as that's the formation my German forces are marked up as. This is the first time I have tried anything as fine as this scale and on the whole it came out ok. The couple of mistakes I made I'll hopefully be able to hide underneath weathering.

I also used these and some other kits in the spray line to experiment a bit on different browns and greens, as I'm still working out what I like In this case the green is Vallejo Model Air 'Medium Olive' (71.092) and the brown is Vallejo Model Color 'German Camo Medium Brown' (70.826). As Paul said above the dunkelgelb is probably a bit light but I'll correct that next time!

Next up is the metal work, road wheels and exhausts.

ATB and ACW

Andrew

---------------------------------

The inspiration!
Reference purposes only.

49960384811_b5e397566c_b.jpg

My 'homage'.......

49920042246_c4e26040cc_b.jpg

49920339242_cbc91f8dae_b.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cracking work on the camo. Very realistic. Have tackled the joys of foliage camouflage yet?
Thanks Steve. I must admit I am pleased with it. As for foliage camo? At 1/72?? :cold-sweat::surprised: :crying:

That said I do have the third Pz IV still under construction, so maybe I'll give it a go on that!!

Thanks again.

ATB

Andrew